U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2019, 05:16 PM
 
3 posts, read 698 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

totally agree. i actually love her- i'm white btw. But I think her district also includes country club and throggs neck right? so that's part of the hate you see here. I would imagine similar neighborhoods in Queens are encompassed- I just don't know Queens like I know the Bx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2019, 08:30 AM
exm
 
Location: Long Island, NY
2,136 posts, read 714,770 times
Reputation: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdinnyc View Post
totally agree. i actually love her- i'm white btw. But I think her district also includes country club and throggs neck right? so that's part of the hate you see here. I would imagine similar neighborhoods in Queens are encompassed- I just don't know Queens like I know the Bx.

The fact that you're white really doesn't matter. But why do you love her? What is she doing for you and your district? If you look on LI, historically a swing district you see GOP candidates like Zeldin and King working hard for their districts while supporting Trump for example. I understand you probably despise Trump and the GOP but it's an example how you can support national policies while delivering locally. I don't know enough about the DNC LI reps to comments on them (disclaimer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 09:37 AM
 
188 posts, read 41,473 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdinnyc View Post
totally agree. i actually love her- i'm white btw.
Her fans are mostly white. Young/White/Starry-eyed/Transplants. Those of us with more worldliness know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 10:45 AM
 
7,035 posts, read 14,142,608 times
Reputation: 4625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
Her fans are mostly white. Young/White/Starry-eyed/Transplants. Those of us with more worldliness know better.
You mean the demographic is very highly educated yet can barely afford to be alive thanks to the policies of old conservative/establishment politicians? Sorry that we're young and are more worried about climate change because we're much further from our life expectancy age than old people. Sorry we're more worried about the minimum wage because we have friends with college degrees that are forced to live off of it. Sorry we're more worried about healthcare costs, especially since many of us that attended college are actually very worldly and studied abroad where we experienced the benefits and wonders of universal healthcare. Sorry we're more worried about people being able to afford rent even though they have graduate degrees and we don't really care about greedy landlords or NIMBYs. Sorry we're anti-car because we grew up seeing the horrors of suburbia and ran away from it into the cities and we'd like reliable/safe/clean/affordable public transit like the rest of the world has.

Also we're far more diverse and educated and have a greater interest in traveling than older generations, so I'm not sure where you come up with this idea that young people who like AOC are not worldly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 10:47 AM
 
1,252 posts, read 1,505,396 times
Reputation: 1917
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
You mean the demographic is very highly educated yet can barely afford to be alive thanks to the policies of old conservative/establishment politicians? Sorry that we're young and are more worried about climate change because we're much further from our life expectancy age than old people. Sorry we're more worried about the minimum wage because we have friends with college degrees that are forced to live off of it. Sorry we're more worried about healthcare costs, especially since many of us that attended college are actually very worldly and studied abroad where we experienced the benefits and wonders of universal healthcare. Sorry we're more worried about people being able to afford rent even though they have graduate degrees and we don't really care about greedy landlords or NIMBYs. Sorry we're anti-car because we grew up seeing the horrors of suburbia and ran away from it into the cities and we'd like reliable/safe/clean/affordable public transit like the rest of the world has.

Also we're far more diverse and educated and have a greater interest in traveling than older generations, so I'm not sure where you come up with this idea that young people who like AOC are not worldly.



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 11:06 AM
 
188 posts, read 41,473 times
Reputation: 284
It's funny how young people are always so busy touting their level of education with oh so very little to show for it all.

Today's advanced degrees are about equal to a 1945 8th grade education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 11:34 AM
 
7,035 posts, read 14,142,608 times
Reputation: 4625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
It's funny how young people are always so busy touting their level of education with oh so very little to show for it all.

Today's advanced degrees are about equal to a 1945 8th grade education.
Again. No argument against anything I've said. Just childish remarks.

Also you make it sound like we chose for a graduate degree to be equal to a lesser education. As if when we were infants we decided that we should go to grad school and rack up massive debt that we caused and then force ourselves to work for lower wages. Hmm...it couldn't possibly be the fault of the people in charge of everything. Nope. Just blame young people for the economic environment that we have been subjected to as if we created it. Don't worry. When you all die, if there is any world left, we'll be left to pick up the pieces and I hope we can create a better vision for the future for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 11:37 AM
 
1,252 posts, read 1,505,396 times
Reputation: 1917
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Again. No argument against anything I've said. Just childish remarks.

Also you make it sound like we chose for a graduate degree to be equal to a lesser education. As if when we were infants we decided that we should go to grad school and rack up massive debt that we caused and then force ourselves to work for lower wages. Hmm...it couldn't possibly be the fault of the people in charge of everything. Nope. Just blame young people for the economic environment that we have been subjected to as if we created it. Don't worry. When you all die, if there is any world left, we'll be left to pick up the pieces and I hope we can create a better vision for the future for everyone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 12:17 PM
 
188 posts, read 41,473 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Again. No argument against anything I've said. Just childish remarks.

Also you make it sound like we chose for a graduate degree to be equal to a lesser education. As if when we were infants we decided that we should go to grad school and rack up massive debt that we caused and then force ourselves to work for lower wages. Hmm...it couldn't possibly be the fault of the people in charge of everything. Nope. Just blame young people for the economic environment that we have been subjected to as if we created it. Don't worry. When you all die, if there is any world left, we'll be left to pick up the pieces and I hope we can create a better vision for the future for everyone.
My friend, you are the one who brought higher education into this discussion; and with the same degree of self righteous smugness that many of us have come to expect from your generation. There are no arguments here only observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 12:25 PM
 
7,035 posts, read 14,142,608 times
Reputation: 4625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
My friend, you are the one who brought higher education into this discussion; and with the same degree of self righteous smugness that many of us have come to expect from your generation. There are no arguments here only observations.
There's such an obvious pattern here. Someone says something you Trumpsters don't like and you don't address their arguments, just make childish remarks and ignore the context. There's not even a point to responding to anything you trolls say anymore so I'm out. Have fun with your corporate fascists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top