U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2019, 11:57 AM
 
3 posts, read 659 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

I got an email today to schedule an interview in the next two weeks and my current lease won't be up for another 9 months! Hypothetically, if everything works out and they grant me a unit, I'd be faced with this dilemma. So, for those who won their apartments and had to get out of their current lease, how'd you do it...?

Was it:

A] Paid rents for both apartments
B] Transferred current lease/sublet
C] Broke lease with landlord's permission (got security back)
D] Pushed back lease signing for lottery apartment
E] Some other way

Pushing back the lease signing for the lottery unit would be the least stressful and easiest situation, so interested in hearing from people that were able to do that.

Also, couldnt find any threads where this question was answered but if anyone has links to any I'd appreciate answers from there too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2019, 12:19 PM
 
20,924 posts, read 13,867,665 times
Reputation: 14545
Another one who should be using Google or otherwise doing research.

New rent laws require a LL make an effort to find a new tenant if current breaks their lease. *If* you win the housing lottery just inform your LL of fact, and that you'll need to break current lease and see what they say. Personally I'd give them more notice than less so they aren't totally blindsided, but understand the current mentality around here is to screw any LL to extent possible, consequences be damned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 12:26 PM
 
3 posts, read 659 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Another one who should be using Google or otherwise doing research.
First of all **** you and your passive aggressive reply, THIS QUESTION IS MY RESEARCH.

Secondly; thank you for saving me the hassle of guessing terms to search and giving me the answer I was looking for, prick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 12:29 PM
 
70 posts, read 10,224 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffunkmaster View Post
I got an email today to schedule an interview in the next two weeks and my current lease won't be up for another 9 months! Hypothetically, if everything works out and they grant me a unit, I'd be faced with this dilemma. So, for those who won their apartments and had to get out of their current lease, how'd you do it...?

Was it:

A] Paid rents for both apartments
B] Transferred current lease/sublet
C] Broke lease with landlord's permission (got security back)
D] Pushed back lease signing for lottery apartment
E] Some other way

Pushing back the lease signing for the lottery unit would be the least stressful and easiest situation, so interested in hearing from people that were able to do that.

Also, couldnt find any threads where this question was answered but if anyone has links to any I'd appreciate answers from there too
Hi,

Although you've been contacted for an interview, it may still take a few months to be approved. If i were you, I would wait it out. Go to the interview and wait for them to contact you.

I had my interview in May and im still waiting to be approved. I spoke with the agent and he just keeps telling me that its still in progress and that they are people before me that need to be processed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
1,764 posts, read 3,582,606 times
Reputation: 2580
When this happened to me my landlord was really nice and let me out of my lease -- no penalties. However, if I hadn't been that lucky I guess I would have tried to find a new qualified tenant. It wouldn't have been hard, since the rent I was paying was way below market value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 01:42 PM
 
240 posts, read 189,658 times
Reputation: 137
I have the same question
since i'd be moving to alvista but I will be continue applying for apartments specially the ones in queens
let's say i get selected for one like 6 months down the line, my lease is currently set for one year.
would that be a big issue for my current landlord because my mind is set on a one bedroom, not studio.
i took it because i love the building and the amenities but i need something bigger
i'd be paying 1500 for the studio where i should be paying the same or less for a 1b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 01:54 PM
 
1,072 posts, read 532,769 times
Reputation: 726
It could genuinely still be months before you could move in, assuming you get a unit. You may not have to cross that bridge.

My landlord didn't have a problem letting me out of my lease, though he fairly obnoxiously charged rent through the time the new tenant's lease started, meaning I was covering a good ten days of renovation period even though I didn't have access to the apartment anymore. If the rents hadn't been so reasonable throughout I would have fought him on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 02:07 PM
 
240 posts, read 189,658 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
It could genuinely still be months before you could move in, assuming you get a unit. You may not have to cross that bridge.

My landlord didn't have a problem letting me out of my lease, though he fairly obnoxiously charged rent through the time the new tenant's lease started, meaning I was covering a good ten days of renovation period even though I didn't have access to the apartment anymore. If the rents hadn't been so reasonable throughout I would have fought him on that.
haha he was being an a hole. but i'm glad it's not that bad
i know getting called will take time
i've been looking for a place for two years now
finally got one even though it's a studio it's one building i actually liked.
will continue applying until i get one i truly like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 02:30 PM
 
70 posts, read 10,224 times
Reputation: 16
Forgot to mention that when you are going through the eligibility process at some point they will have you sign some forms indicating that you will surrender your current apartment lease if approved for a unit.

I signed this document in late May. Still the waiting game for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
2,314 posts, read 2,838,134 times
Reputation: 1417
A year ago in late feb I got a call for an interview and didn’t actually move in until Mid July. My lease was good until end of sept so I paid my half for 3 months along with my new place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top