U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-25-2019, 01:03 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
5,692 posts, read 2,965,189 times
Reputation: 6542

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
100%. Flushing is congested and dirty no matter how many Skyviews there are.
If you indeed live in Flushing like you claim, then you obviously don't get out very much if that is what you think.

This is all in Flushing:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/15...9d791adf?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/place/14...a37ad2ed?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/place/42...cb383219?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/place/13...e3889ef1?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/place/34...07960417?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/place/13...86af3133?hl=en


These streets represent like 95% of Flushing. Not congested, not smelly, not dirty.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2019, 01:07 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,373 posts, read 23,847,742 times
Reputation: 11778
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
full of racist crap. white people don't live in Skyview not because they don't want to, but because they cannot afford it.
Thatís inaccurate. There are plenty of white people in areas that have higher prices per square feet. This does not point to lack of affordability for why thereís a relatively small number of white people living in Skyview.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 01:17 PM
 
1,972 posts, read 588,082 times
Reputation: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Manhattan is much worse in that sense
Manhattan is also Manhattan, for the average white New Yorkee there is a lot more to do
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 01:46 PM
 
1,028 posts, read 637,229 times
Reputation: 303
what i am saying is Flushing does not attract many whites not because it is congested or dirty, but because it has amenities that cater to Chinese, rather than whites. Manhattan is dirtier, but whites don't mind, as they can find all the bars and stupid restaurants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Manhattan is also Manhattan, for the average white New Yorkee there is a lot more to do
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 01:50 PM
 
1,972 posts, read 588,082 times
Reputation: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
what i am saying is Flushing does not attract many whites not because it is congested or dirty, but because it has amenities that cater to Chinese, rather than whites. Manhattan is dirtier, but whites don't mind, as they can find all the bars and stupid restaurants
So restaurants that don't serve Chinese cuisind are "stupid"?

Are you a shill for both the PRC and Flushing?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 01:52 PM
 
1,028 posts, read 637,229 times
Reputation: 303
who said that? you are five cents from Fa lungong then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
So restaurants that don't serve Chinese cuisind are "stupid"?

Are you a shill for both the PRC and Flushing?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 02:14 PM
 
776 posts, read 391,754 times
Reputation: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
If you indeed live in Flushing like you claim, then you obviously don't get out very much if that is what you think.

This is all in Flushing:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/15...9d791adf?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/place/14...a37ad2ed?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/place/42...cb383219?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/place/13...e3889ef1?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/place/34...07960417?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/place/13...86af3133?hl=en


These streets represent like 95% of Flushing. Not congested, not smelly, not dirty.
Again, those are not downtown Flushing. I actually live near one of those locations. We are talking about DOWNTOWN Flushing. Why are you ignoring that? Perhaps because it doesnít prove your point?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 02:28 PM
 
1,028 posts, read 637,229 times
Reputation: 303
downtown flushing is prehaps the most exciting neighborhood in outerboros. in the next few years, you will have Tangram, Flushing commons and many new projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Again, those are not downtown Flushing. I actually live near one of those locations. We are talking about DOWNTOWN Flushing. Why are you ignoring that? Perhaps because it doesnít prove your point?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 03:23 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,373 posts, read 23,847,742 times
Reputation: 11778
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
what i am saying is Flushing does not attract many whites not because it is congested or dirty, but because it has amenities that cater to Chinese, rather than whites. Manhattan is dirtier, but whites don't mind, as they can find all the bars and stupid restaurants
That’s much more accurate than the idea that white people can’t afford Flushing. I don’t understand the idea that the restaurants in Manhattan are stupid though. People can have different preferences without being stupid. Try a different perspective—how ridiculous do you think it’d be for someone whose preference isn’t Chinese or Korean cuisines to say that the restaurants in Flushing are stupid? Wouldn’t you write that person off as stupid for making such a narrow-minded statement rather than say they aren’t personally a fan of Chinese and Korean cuisines?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 11:00 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
5,692 posts, read 2,965,189 times
Reputation: 6542
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Again, those are not downtown Flushing. I actually live near one of those locations. We are talking about DOWNTOWN Flushing. Why are you ignoring that? Perhaps because it doesn’t prove your point?
Those places I showed represent 95% of what Flushing is like. You only emphasized Downtown once it was pointed out to you that your statement was wrong. I can turn around and ask you why are YOU ignoring 95% of Flushing? Perhaps because it doesn't prove your point?

And downtowns are suppose to be busy. Busy = life. Any downtowns that aren't busy are usually indicative of a failing city (or in this case a neighborhood). See Buffalo.

And this being NYC, anywhere where there are lots of people, there is going to be litter. It is not unique to Downtown Flushing.

As for smelly, well, even most of downtown Flushing is not smelly. Other than an occasional food store that put their displays outside, most streets do not smell any more than anywhere else in the city.

So it is safe to say that your claim that this is what is deterring white people from Flushing is bunk.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top