Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 12:36 PM

5,036 posts, read 4,911,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I suggest you start learning about investing for and in retirement rather then spending your time commenting on things you apparently have little knowledge in

i enjoy working and my work pays well and I can work as long as I choose to in the field i am in now... so i have no retirement concerns nor interest in dealing with investment uncertainties...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 12:42 PM

106,060 posts, read 108,015,953 times
Great for you , but your advice posted here is way wrong if you are spewing it for others....you really should refrain from giving any advice as to what retirees should do because there is not one , I repeat not one accredited study or research that says retirees should avoid equities . That would just be ridiculous advice because less then 40% in equities makes it very risky to draw even 4% inflation adjusted out ...

Believing one’s own bull, they heard from other misinformed sources does not constitute good financial advice

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-25-2019 at 01:24 PM..

Old 07-25-2019, 02:55 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,941,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Gambling is not investiging , speculating is not investing . Learn the differences .

A 50/50 mix of diversified equity funds and bonds is ideal for retirement as is anything from 40-60% equities... at a 4% inflation adjusted draw rate anything less in equities is to risky and 100% fixed income has failed to last so many retirement cycles already it is unsafe at 4% draw rates .

Don’t learn from myth and old wives tales . There is enough information out there to learn instead of parroting what you think is the case .

Any book that says retirees should avoid equities is nonsense and you should throw it away as it couldn’t be more wrong
This is spot on. The data definitely supports this.

Besides, I would argue that properly allocated portfolio can be a true passive investment over real estate which involves comparatively active participation.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:18 PM

my portfolio is where i put the money i made in real estate.... real estate can be you working for your money . a passive portfolio is your money working for you .

there is just so much myth and misinformation out there and it just perpetuates because others parrot the same bad advice ...

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-25-2019 at 04:36 PM..

Old 07-26-2019, 01:38 PM

Absolutely. I do investment real estate (buy and hold) and also invest in the market. Real Estate is definitely the more time-consuming side – I don’t mind it because I am still youngish and have that passion. However, once I am older/less inclined to an active participant, I would absolutely take the money made in real estate and invest in equities.

Beyond the myths/misinformation, most alpha seeking investment and fund managers fail to beat the market, yet charge excessive fees for the privilege of investing in their funds. I like Vanguard’s lower cost model a lot.

In addition, recommending that retired/seniors stay away from equities does not make sense from a data driven analysis perspective. I am not blaming the other poster though, as this type of advice is prevalent in personal finance and mass media circles where those dispensing this advice have not bothered to look at the actual data.

In any case, returning to NYC real estate market, it will be interesting to see how Fall/Winter look in terms of sales volume and pricing trends. Watching very closely..

Old 07-26-2019, 01:43 PM

We are waiting with baited breath for closing on the sale of the last two investment co-ops we own ....closing should be any day as an investor group is taking them off our hands .. in retirement I want only passive investments which can be gone with the click of a button.

I don’t use vanguard anymore ... I am 90% fidelity and 10% chase ....vanguard has awful company policies and also are the worst customer experience I ever had

Old 07-26-2019, 02:07 PM

All the best with the co-op sale, I hope it proceeds without a hitch. My parents, who are retired are also invested in passive investments including equities. Their well-meaning friends/family members have continuously cautioned against investing in equities as a recession is going to happen in “x number of month or years” yet they have kept on course once I showed the data from the Great Recession, peak/troughs and they were very happy to not have to deal with property repairs/evictions etc like I have.

I am curious about Vanguard’s company policies that you don’t like. I have used their customer service maybe twice in 10+ years and it seemed to be fine. I like Fidelity a lot, however have not had the chance to research heir funds but would be very interested now that I have a good amount of dollars coming my way from a business sale.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:15 PM

-I have been with fidelity for more then 30 years ---the problem with vanguard , aside from experiencing the worst customer service ever from them is this :---------------- whatever vanguard gets in to that is what they promote heavily and push on you....first they were the grand pappy of diy investing.. they sold us all on how anyone can get pro results.... then they got in to money mgmt. and now they produce a study that shows that we can add 2-3% more to our returns using a money pro to handle things ---- then one day I log in and see they deleted all our beneficiaries off joint accounts …. yep gone... well guess what ?---vanguard got in to trust s and trust mgmt. … they deleted all beneficiaries and told us we are better served with a trust or we can split the accounts in to 2 single accounts and add beneficiaries ….. nonsense .. I don't need a trust …..my fidelity rep was blown away they would do such a stupid thing ..she actually had to confirm it herself ….. I also had an issue with customer service … when you call fidelity the person I speak to owns the question ..they either get someone on the line or call you back...vanguard reps passed us around like a hot potato , until eventually we went in a que … the message said to hold for the next rep … for laughs we let it go for 1-1/2 hours and no one answered ….. I deal with chase and fidelity and cut vanguard out .

Old 07-27-2019, 06:52 PM

450 posts, read 472,167 times
First time I'm hearing negativity regarding vanguard. Usually people praise, praise and praise when it comes to them. Their customers come off as cult like so that drew me away by default.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post
First time I'm hearing negativity regarding vanguard. Usually people praise, praise and praise when it comes to them. Their customers come off as cult like so that drew me away by default.
well most people are not aware of many of the things they do . this dropping of beneficiaries from joint accounts has had people leave as they realized what was done .

i only caught it one day when i logged in and got a things to do message .. it said set beneficiaries .. i knew i did that already . so i went in and when i tried it wouldn't let me .. when i contacted them i learned they dropped them off joint accounts .. then sent an answer out that we would be better served with a trust ...which of course their trust dept would be happy to help us with .

i don't need anymore trusts , all i need is beneficiaries , so bye bye vanguard .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City