Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 04:33 AM

8,354 posts, read 4,619,570 times

Advertisements

Jesus, this is the most NYC thing I have ever seen!

Not that my native California is necessarily much better...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 07:48 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,942,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
-I have been with fidelity for more then 30 years ---the problem with vanguard , aside from experiencing the worst customer service ever from them is this :---------------- whatever vanguard gets in to that is what they promote heavily and push on you....first they were the grand pappy of diy investing.. they sold us all on how anyone can get pro results.... then they got in to money mgmt. and now they produce a study that shows that we can add 2-3% more to our returns using a money pro to handle things ---- then one day I log in and see they deleted all our beneficiaries off joint accounts …. yep gone... well guess what ?---vanguard got in to trust s and trust mgmt. … they deleted all beneficiaries and told us we are better served with a trust or we can split the accounts in to 2 single accounts and add beneficiaries ….. nonsense .. I don't need a trust …..my fidelity rep was blown away they would do such a stupid thing ..she actually had to confirm it herself ….. I also had an issue with customer service … when you call fidelity the person I speak to owns the question ..they either get someone on the line or call you back...vanguard reps passed us around like a hot potato , until eventually we went in a que … the message said to hold for the next rep … for laughs we let it go for 1-1/2 hours and no one answered ….. I deal with chase and fidelity and cut vanguard out .
Well noted. I have to admit, I have been 'lazy' with the Vanguard directed investments. I am definitely going to revisit the items that you have mentioned. I am also going to look closely at Fidelity to see if they have some good options available as well.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:17 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,417,181 times
My brother in law has a friend that works for a realtor that specializes in residences for the rich and uber rich. Buyers are demanding more features/enhancements and pushing the price down.

10 years of upside market is winding down. Same in the greater metro area. I suppose a recession is getting teed up

Old 07-28-2019, 11:19 AM

15,789 posts, read 14,390,222 times
If they unilaterally made changes to my accounts without my knowledge, I'd be filing complaints with every regulator I could find.

Quote:
well most people are not aware of many of the things they do . this dropping of beneficiaries from joint accounts has had people leave as they realized what was done .

i only caught it one day when i logged in and got a things to do message .. it said set beneficiaries .. i knew i did that already . so i went in and when i tried it wouldn't let me .. when i contacted them i learned they dropped them off joint accounts .. then sent an answer out that we would be better served with a trust ...which of course their trust dept would be happy to help us with .

i don't need anymore trusts , all i need is beneficiaries , so bye bye vanguard .

Old 07-28-2019, 04:11 PM

106,059 posts, read 108,035,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If they unilaterally made changes to my accounts without my knowledge, I'd be filing complaints with every regulator I could find.
I really should have but I don’t want to waste anymore time on it ..... for them to think in this day and age a common death does not have to be dealt with is ridiculous...

We just had my sons best friends parents both killed about a year or so ago upstate ny .they went out for their 40th anniversary and a drunk driver crashed in to them and both were killed

Old 07-28-2019, 04:42 PM

15,789 posts, read 14,390,222 times
It's not the death doesn't have to be dealt with. They want to push you to deal with it in the way that's most profitable for them. This is bull$hit, and why I'd call in regulatory air strikes. I might go to the media also, after seeing what happened with Wells Fargo.

Quote:
I really should have but I don’t want to waste anymore time on it ..... for them to think in this day and age a common death does not have to be dealt with is ridiculous...

We just had my sons best friends parents both killed about a year or so ago upstate ny .they went out for their 40th anniversary and a drunk driver crashed in to them and both were killed

Old 07-28-2019, 11:31 PM

15,928 posts, read 6,710,248 times
It is usually a traumatic event experienced that acts
as the reset button to bring focus to your own mortality.
When your usual everyday life goes unnoticed this sudden
impact makes one change gears.

Personally knew a wealthy man that spear headed that dollar bill
day in day out year after year after year into his 90's. I've been telling
him for years to slow down and enjoy your retirement. Nothing doing.
Not a second thought. Dropped dead while working. This resulted in a sudden
imbalance and the entire family cashed in all his chips while he's 6ft. under.
R.I.P.

Remember : You can't take it with you...........

Old 07-29-2019, 04:28 AM

106,059 posts, read 108,035,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
It's not the death doesn't have to be dealt with. They want to push you to deal with it in the way that's most profitable for them. This is bull$hit, and why I'd call in regulatory air strikes. I might go to the media also, after seeing what happened with Wells Fargo.
our fidelity rep actually called to confirm because she thought i had the story wrong ....

but nope , they pretty much said we either need to get a trust or split the joint account in to 2 single accounts and then you can have a beneficiary ....

but it worked out well . i moved that little portion out of vanguard to chase . had chase baby sit my etf and got a few hundred dollars for becoming a chase private client , got the chase sapphire reserve credit card and thousands of dollars in perks and opened a youinvest chase account with unlimited free trades .

all the while i got nothing from vanguard except terrible customer service where they pass you around like a hot potato because no one wants to own the question .

i do a lot of fun trading so it worked perfectly .. fidelity still gets 90% of our assets .

in the mean time getting back to nyc real estate : we are still waiting for all the paper work to finalize so we can close and after 30 years no longer have to deal with being landlords .

we have a contract to sell the last two remaining co-op apartments that over look central park but have stabilized tenants in it to an investor group .

they are getting a bargain as they are paying 350k for 2.20 million in value , but they may have a very very long wait until the tenants are out .. so maybe this week we will be done for good .

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-29-2019 at 04:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City