U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:00 PM

20,917 posts, read 13,857,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterStereoman View Post
I knew a guy whose car broke down on the bridge. He said it was terrifying how much that bridge shook. And this guy didn't scare easily.

OP: perhaps they had stripped the concrete for re-paving? You do see that sometimes, but there will be warning signs especially directed to motorcyclists. I don't know if they do this kind of work on the bridge.
That really is my worst fear, having a breakdown or accident on the VNB that forces me to stop dead in my tracks.

Drove home/to SI late one night and was already on the FDR before noticing tank was getting near "E". Barely managed to get over the VNB and find a gas station on Bay Street still open. This was with going over the bridge with my ride pretty much running on fumes. Made it by using lots of coasting.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:26 PM

8,790 posts, read 7,143,735 times
I was rear ended really badly on the VZ years ago, totalled my car.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old Today, 08:36 PM

10 posts, read 1,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterStereoman View Post
I knew a guy whose car broke down on the bridge. He said it was terrifying how much that bridge shook. And this guy didn't scare easily.

OP: perhaps they had stripped the concrete for re-paving? You do see that sometimes, but there will be warning signs especially directed to motorcyclists. I don't know if they do this kind of work on the bridge.
Well it was a one time event crossing that bridge. I probably just had a similarly unsettling experience on some other bridge along the trip and my mind fused the two into one memory with the common factor being the dread peril in both cases. Now i wonder which had the grates. PPs mentioned the QB n Williamsburg. Mighta been the WB. I was in Manhattan then chose to go see Coney Island which is where I saw a sign for the VZ and thought "well, why not? " Tho it was a dreadful crossing, Im glad I made it. Not just anyone can say they crossed the VZ on a moto. Makes me feel like a jr Evil Knieval. ����
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or