U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 07:24 PM

10 posts, read 1,981 times

Advertisements

Hello New Yorkers!

I have a trivia question about the VZ I hope you can clear up for me.

In either 1986 or 1990, I rode my motorcycle through NYC on my way to Miami. While there I thought if I have to choose a route, why not make the ride more epic by conquering the longest bridge in the world at the time.

Crossing the VZ on a motorcycle turned out to be a perilous choice. I believe I was on the lower deck. The major problem was the cross winds. Gusts literally blew my moto from one lane right into the other. My bike literally slid sideways being blown into other lanes. Not fun.

Here's the mystery. My memory is that the road surface was not pavement but was actually metal grates like in the attached pic. As I recall, this was the reason the road surface was so slick. What perplexes me is years later w the internet, videos and photos of the VZ show pavement not metal grates.

So my Q is - Did the VZ ever have a metal grate surface or am I just remembering this wrong?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 07:29 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,060,200 times

Looks like asphalt/concrete when they opened it.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:49 PM

15,619 posts, read 25,077,007 times
the lower level was built when the top level was in use, and it was always concrete / ashphalt, I outta know, I lived in Staten Island in 1966

Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM

3,951 posts, read 1,008,252 times
Is it possible you might be getting the Verrazzano and the 59th street Bridge ( Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge ) mixed up.
The outer portion of the 59th had metal grates that would bring fear to any driver let alone a cyclist on wet and wind strewn days.

Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM

8,790 posts, read 7,143,735 times
Didn’t the Williamsburg used to be metal as well? The pictured bridge is the Ben Franklin Bridge over the Delaware River I believe.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM

19,688 posts, read 34,785,093 times
Marine Parkway Bridge is like that. I've gotten accustomed to driving over it through the years, but I know people who don't like it, your car shifts even when its not wet and not windy, I can't imagine doing it in a motorcycle.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM

20,917 posts, read 13,857,388 times
Crossing the VNB in all but the heaviest motor vehicle on a windy day/night can be an experience. There is a reason why during certain windy periods the lower level is closed, and or certain vehicles are banned totally.

https://www.silive.com/news/2018/01/...d_on_verr.html

Have driven all sorts of cars over VNB during windy periods, and for most (even a good sized SUV) it can be white knuckle time if you aren't used to that sort of thing. You can actually feel your ride being pushed by the wind. This and you suddenly realize that you've got to really concentrate on steering to keep your ride going straight.

Before if traffic is backed up and or otherwise slow going the fun is prolonged....

Have never done so (thank God), but anyone who has had to get out of their ride while on the VNB can tell you during "calm" weather it is still very windy up there. Film Saturday Night Fever captured this; remember asking some older guys one knew at that time if things were as the film showed. These were NYPD, FDNY guys who had to deal with things on the bridge, and they said "yes".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se9hqOIp810

Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Is it possible you might be getting the Verrazzano and the 59th street Bridge ( Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge ) mixed up.
The outer portion of the 59th had metal grates that would bring fear to any driver let alone a cyclist on wet and wind strewn days.
Yes it certainly is possible. Funny how memories can blend and transpose!

Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

Thanks all for the feedback. I guess some of my recollections of my easy coast travels have interspersed.

Old Today, 05:56 PM

466 posts, read 515,917 times
I knew a guy whose car broke down on the bridge. He said it was terrifying how much that bridge shook. And this guy didn't scare easily.

OP: perhaps they had stripped the concrete for re-paving? You do see that sometimes, but there will be warning signs especially directed to motorcyclists. I don't know if they do this kind of work on the bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or