U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 06:17 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,221,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
The vast majority of people pay, but it is pretty common for people to exit through the emergency exits
Doesn't that mess them up when entering back through the system, like the next day? Or maybe those were just one-timers? I know like with Washington, DC's metro, that would happen on occasion. Big pain in the butt too, especially if you were in a hurry to catch a bus or another mode of transit, and the person that works in the kiosks is busy at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 06:28 PM

20,946 posts, read 13,877,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Doesn't that mess them up when entering back through the system, like the next day? Or maybe those were just one-timers? I know like with Washington, DC's metro, that would happen on occasion. Big pain in the butt too, especially if you were in a hurry to catch a bus or another mode of transit, and the person that works in the kiosks is busy at the time.
Emergency gates for NYC subway system are just that; only to be used to leave system in case of same. This and if for some reason a person cannot use turnstile to enter system, they are supposed to pay their fare, and then clerk in booth will open gate so they can enter. This is for people with strollers, carts, wheelchairs, etc... This and if for some reason you are directed by a token booth attendant to enter the system via gate.

What happens is New Yorkers being an impatient lot often don't want to wait in a long line to exit via turnstiles or revolving gate/door. So they use the emergency exit gates, more so since the alarms have been turned off. Once gate is opened people just walk in the other way and thus ride for free.

If someone is not going to need a transfer or whatever that requires using their Metrocard, then they've just scored a free ride on subway. This is why many do it in first place. It doesn't make much sense to evade the fare if you need a free transfer to bus or another train to complete your journey. You'll have to pay the fare anyway at transfer, that is unless person plans to evade the fare again at that time as well.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:55 PM

3,971 posts, read 1,013,114 times
I pay. Karma..........Karma.............Karma.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:02 PM

13 posts, read 5,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Doesn't that mess them up when entering back through the system, like the next day? [...] I know like with Washington, DC's metro

NYC's subway doesn't work like Washington, DC's metro. Here you pay the flat fare fully when entering; you do not swipe again when you exit.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:03 PM

1,448 posts, read 827,694 times
If a group treats their paying customers like crap 1 of 2 things will usually happen:

1. They stop using said product or service altogether.

or

2. They take the product or service without paying.

To be fair, I almost always pay, unless I know I'm gonna miss a nearby train, because I'm waiting to refill my card behind some fool at the MetroCard dispenser, who can't read instructions in their own language.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:33 PM

19,698 posts, read 34,801,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Three bucks is "expensive"?

Not a GD person one saw last night looked anywhere near busted or broke. They all had phones, were well enough dressed and otherwise looked as if three bucks wasn't going to put them in the poor house.

People crack me up with that response. Everything in this city is expensive, that doesn't give anyone the right to steal.

This is where have to give props to all those illegal or whatever Mexicans/South Americans or whatever. Every night you see them walking up Third, Second or other UES avenues to get home in Harlem rather than pay bus/train fare (if they cannot afford). That or they ride bikes.

Yeah, some do evade paying fares, but overall people I see doing this are anything but Latino/Hispanic.
I'm sorry but you are so out the frikkin loop

Phones work like cars now

Nobody pays 30K and walks out with a brand new Camry

If you can pay 30K and walk out with a Camry, then you're not buying Camrys!

Financing

Trade in your phone, get a new one, they'll pay off the balance

Technology is getting more affordable

In summation: get off the old stereotypes

At least get on some new ones.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-24-2019, 07:33 PM

86 posts, read 35,477 times
I buy a monthly pass every month but I take the subway every day to work. The only fare beating I consistently see is people going through the exit gate when subway riders exit there instead of through the turnstiles.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:14 PM

306 posts, read 78,394 times
Today I see a lady with a stroller go through the door without paying. In Times Square with a ton of cops. She got a ticket and I got a laugh. If you see like 5 cops pay the fare.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm sorry but you are so out the frikkin loop

Phones work like cars now

Nobody pays 30K and walks out with a brand new Camry

If you can pay 30K and walk out with a Camry, then you're not buying Camrys!

Financing

Trade in your phone, get a new one, they'll pay off the balance

Technology is getting more affordable

In summation: get off the old stereotypes

At least get on some new ones.
Phone isn't the point here, don't give me that.

If you can afford to pay that plan or whatever it costs to *USE* said phone you aren't busted. So *YOU* stop with the old stereotypes.

You can pay for a Metro Card with a credit/charge card if you're so short until payday.

Three USD ain't s****. I'd love to see the finances of those who feel that small sum totally causes them fiscal hardship.

Am willing to bet many of those who avoid paying their fare nowadays do so because city has gone soft, and they know chances of being caught are nil. That and consequences along with repercussions on the off chance they are caught are minor.

When Rudy G. came in with some balls, suddenly subways got cleaned up of this and other nonsense. So you're telling me all of of those fare evaders then suddenly found the money to pay up?

Old 07-24-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
If a group treats their paying customers like crap 1 of 2 things will usually happen:

1. They stop using said product or service altogether.

or

2. They take the product or service without paying.

To be fair, I almost always pay, unless I know I'm gonna miss a nearby train, because I'm waiting to refill my card behind some fool at the MetroCard dispenser, who can't read instructions in their own language.
Have you flown anywhere lately? In particular anything less than first or business class?

Airlines by a large aren't *that* much better these days than mass transit, but I don't see anyone flying for free, and in fact air travel is at record numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or