U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 09:30 PM

20,957 posts, read 13,877,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
I pay. Karma..........Karma.............Karma.
Noticed SAS and other stations have cameras all over the place, but wonder actually how much is captured and or what is done with the information. I've yet to see NYPD come down stairs or whatever and speak to much less arrest people who've not paid their fair. This when have waited > 10mins for a train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 09:56 PM

61 posts, read 39,996 times
I thank and appreciate those who pay their fare its worse on the Bus we are taught never to challenge but I still do from time to time that's why i prefer driving the select to avoid all that

Old 07-24-2019, 10:09 PM

22,267 posts, read 23,769,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Phone isn't the point here, don't give me that.

If you can afford to pay that plan or whatever it costs to *USE* said phone you aren't busted. So *YOU* stop with the old stereotypes.

You can pay for a Metro Card with a credit/charge card if you're so short until payday.

Three USD ain't s****. I'd love to see the finances of those who feel that small sum totally causes them fiscal hardship.

Am willing to bet many of those who avoid paying their fare nowadays do so because city has gone soft, and they know chances of being caught are nil. That and consequences along with repercussions on the off chance they are caught are minor.

When Rudy G. came in with some balls, suddenly subways got cleaned up of this and other nonsense. So you're telling me all of of those fare evaders then suddenly found the money to pay up?
It sounds like youíre using the old stereotypes. Iím miffed with farebeaters, but the idea of people with smartphones having much disposable income is ridiculous. People in Nairobi, which is not very wealthy, all have smartphones. There are many models out there, including used and hand-me-downs and many different payment plans and service levels. Itís also so much a part of modern life including getting and maintaining your job, that not having one often precludes you from having any disposable income. The idea that people canít or shouldnít spare the money for MTAís relatively affordable fares isnít that far ofd, but citing smartphone ownership is very much an old stereotype and would have made sense only several years ago or longer.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:22 PM

184 posts, read 52,950 times
Uhh. I’ve never not paid.
For the people saying it’s because of poor service, that’s a **** excuse.
The reason it’s happening is because the lack of enforcement and repercussions.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:28 PM

20,957 posts, read 13,877,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It sounds like youíre using the old stereotypes. Iím miffed with farebeaters, but the idea of people with smartphones having much disposable income is ridiculous. People in Nairobi, which is not very wealthy, all have smartphones. There are many models out there, including used and hand-me-downs and many different payment plans and service levels. Itís also so much a part of modern life including getting and maintaining your job, that not having one often precludes you from having any disposable income. The idea that people canít or shouldnít spare the money for MTAís relatively affordable fares isnít that far ofd, but citing smartphone ownership is very much an old stereotype and would have made sense only several years ago or longer.

What you and the rest you've co-signed onto are trying to tell me is that a smart phone is now a necessity and or so common place that it precludes any pretension of wealth. Whatever, people need to get their priorities in order.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:02 AM

3,578 posts, read 3,821,081 times
Throw non-payers in jail.

Better yet, detain them and club them just before the track.... should they fall in to their demise...

BILL THE FAMILY for the $3.

Take out the TRASH, NYC.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:31 AM

5,673 posts, read 2,945,232 times
^ The trash are the NYC Leftist politicians who have created this lawlessness behavior because of their laxness with farebeaters.

This was totally predicted at the time when the city's DA announced they wouldn't be prosecuting fare evaders. Many of us said exactly this would happen and now you are seeing it.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
What you and the rest you've co-signed onto are trying to tell me is that a smart phone is now a necessity and or so common place that it precludes any pretension of wealth. Whatever, people need to get their priorities in order.
Yea, it pretty much is and itís also fairly cheap for its utility value. The gig economy where you need email, apps, and/or maps going to new locations makes it really useful.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Throw non-payers in jail.

Better yet, detain them and club them just before the track.... should they fall in to their demise...

BILL THE FAMILY for the $3.

Take out the TRASH, NYC.
Yea! With enough bodies on the tracks delaying services forever, then people will no longer even bother with the MTA and therefore there will be no more farebeating! What an incredible solution!

I think catching people and giving them a fine and community service of picking up trash or otherwise cleaning up mass transit is good.

Or maybe automatically give them and charge them for a monthly pass along with the community service stipulation.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:55 AM

11,337 posts, read 21,817,457 times
Not paying the fare is theft of service, period. It's the same thing as walking into Best Buy and stealing a pack of batteries, or whatever you like. And then saying, well, the cashiers at Best Buy are rude so the store deserves it when I steal.

Thieves should face consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or