U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 06:58 AM

5,279 posts, read 5,200,872 times

Advertisements

I always pay. Don't worry there are still the holdouts asking for swipes who don't technically want to jump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 10:59 AM

2,145 posts, read 1,405,111 times
I pay almost every time. I will admit sometimes when drunk I haven't...

Old 07-25-2019, 11:38 AM

1,177 posts, read 667,243 times
I pay 99.9% of the time.

The first time was when I was taking a crowded LIRR train from Huntington back into Penn Station. I bet that because the train was so crowded the conductors wouldn't bother to try to get where I was and check if I had a ticket. I was right and got a free ride. I was a 20 year old college kid so *shrugs*

Second time I jumped was because the train was pulling in and all my friends had already gotten on. I would have had to load my card and wait another 12 minutes for the next one alone (it was late Friday night). So I jumped...

Third time was because the turnstile kept saying 'swipe again' despite having a weekly pass. The train was there so I just jumped.

Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM

181 posts, read 168,792 times
I would agree to say I pay 99% of the time as well. Sometimes in the morning rushing to take the bus I don’t realize my unlimited card has expired and end up getting a free ride. However I rather pay the $3 then suffer through the anxiety I would get over the fear of getting a ticket.

Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

6 posts, read 1,176 times
I absolutely do, and I'm in great company. I think it's classist to not pay the fare if you can. I have no excuse not to. Fare-skipping is for the poor and working class IMO. A friend's been doing it since December and I'm working up the courage to call him out.

Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM

2,190 posts, read 1,853,995 times
Nope, the MTA doesn't get a dime from me...

...They pay me to transport the farebeaters. I always get a chuckle when people rush through the emergency gate trying to evade the fare and get mad/cuss at me for not holding the doors. The entitlement of some of these people is mind boggling.

Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM

20,957 posts, read 13,877,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Nope, the MTA doesn't get a dime from me...

...They pay me to transport the farebeaters. I always get a chuckle when people rush through the emergency gate trying to evade the fare and get mad/cuss at me for not holding the doors. The entitlement of some of these people is mind boggling.
Be glad that is all they've done: https://www.silive.com/news/2019/07/...a-alleges.html

Old Today, 05:36 AM

32,176 posts, read 33,082,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
I'm merely asking because feel as if am the only eegit who bothers.

Last night went to catch the "Q" at 33rd, and it was hot and moist as heck. This plus due to some issues at deKalb, the Q, N, and R trains were all backed up. So decided to wait up by the turnstiles where it was a bit cooler.

This was around 11PM or so and one after another every one and their mother jumped over, went under turnstiles. That and or got some one to open a gate.

Old people, middle aged people, Asians, blacks, whites, males, females, young people, the lot. Every other person just didn't pay their fare.

A group of young sort of clean cut white dudes came down, every GD one of them vaulted over the turnstile.

Train didn't arrive for over twenty minutes an in that time think only a handful of people actually paid their fare. Ironically the Latino/Hispanic (mostly the guys getting off work in area) virtually all paid their fare.

An older gentleman who paid his fare but was standing on other side of turnstiles watching this unfold was stunned. He called out to some middle aged woman who ducked under the turnstiles "pay your fare!", she gave him some BS about "I paid already.......".

Not a GD Port Authority or MTA cop around. No wonder the system is losing money.

Meanwhile when going down town earlier some Indian woman was trying to figure out how to get downtown into Brooklyn since Q had service changes due to track work. A few guys were trying to explain and once she was satisfied went through the turnstile, only her MC had no money. So one of the guys went back and opened the gate.....
I guess this may have certain stations that I don't use as I have never seen anyone go through a turnstile without paying their subway fare.

Old Today, 06:43 AM

11,337 posts, read 21,817,457 times
I just saw three going through yesterday at Steinway station in Astoria, all with different methods. One simply jumped and another did some back and forth wiggling with the turnstile to get through. Not sure about the third but she beat the fare also. I felt angry when I was down on the platform just behind them. Why should they get to ride for free when I'm paying?

They are stealing from the MTA and they are stealing from me, because my fare is going to go up sooner when so many people aren't paying. They also have no shame about sitting in seats they didn't pay for when there are paying customers have to stand.

Old Today, 09:44 AM

19,693 posts, read 34,801,446 times
Social construct is broken

Morality is broken

When little s--ts like this happen, this is why

Who would not feel like paying? In an utopian society?

So much more has to be fixed first before hopping over a turnstile

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or