U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 08:37 PM

66 posts, read 23,562 times

Advertisements

Also, outside of Manhattan, you might find it interesting to check on the Smorgasborg held on Saturdays 12 noon to 5 pm in the waterfront park area in Williamsburg from late spring through the summer? Food can be tasty ( tastier than the food court at Grand Central) but portions are small and food is not cheap. However, it is an experience. Also, there are nice hotels with restaurants and nightclubs along Wythe and N 10th thereabouts in Williamsburg. Music venues like the Williamsburg Music Hall might have offerings of interest depending on your preferences. Williamsburg also has grown in a great number of retail shops. Unbelievable given the problems with boutique retail stores staying open in pricey Manhattan neighborhoods, aside from the big chains, banks, drugstores, etc.

Little Poland in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, just north of Williamsburg along Manhattan Ave. and some side streets have some reasonably priced restaurants, bakeries and meat delis with fish, ham, borscht, etc. If you want a more gentrified scene, you will find it on Franklin near the Greenpoint waterfront with many eateries and outdoor dining.

I actually love coming home to sedate Brooklyn after every trip to Manhattan which is always crowded, noisy, and packed with masses of people/ traffic. There is a lot of nice activity ( almost like the village of yesteryear, though not exactly the same because the pre 2000s Greenwich village will always have its unique place in history). Where I am in Brooklyn is more sedate compared to Manhattan except on Smorgasborg days or Brooklyn Flea market days ( not sure about the latter because I only attended once and it was not bad traffic maybe because I went later).

Not to forget Manhattan, I do enjoy the offerings at the Chelsea market but it tends to be packed at least on weekends. The Brookfield Place also has many offerings for food and upscale shopping.

Last edited by Evolving; 07-25-2019 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 08:58 PM

66 posts, read 23,562 times
Lol, I have not even said anything about Queens, which is probably the most ethnically diverse borough in NYC. There are many great ethnic eats as well as American and western food offerings. I cannot address most of this borough except for what I saw about some of the offerings in one of Anthony Bordain’s episodes that covered ethnic and street food in Queens. I just know Flushing has some amazing Chinese and Korean food options, probably the best in NYC. Elmhurst also has expanded with many different Asian food choices ( Thai, Malaysian, Chinese, etc.) and Chinese supermarkets ( none of these really existed when I used to work at Elmhurst Hospital in the early 1990s).

Old 07-25-2019, 11:17 PM

312 posts, read 79,043 times
People aren’t nice at all.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:03 AM

14 posts, read 2,631 times
Foxyknoxy, I'm surprised to hear you say that. Every time I've visited I have been pleasantly surprised that people were much friendlier than I expected. Maybe before my first visit I had built up such an expectation of rudeness that even a little better than I had thought seems exaggerated.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:17 PM

3,972 posts, read 1,016,220 times
Opinion:

I wish I knew New York had a multi billion dollar deficit before moving to NYC.
I wish I knew Mayor Bill DeBlasio before moving to NYC.
I wish I knew police officers were not respected before moving to NYC.
I wish I knew there are more non working than working people before moving to NYC.
I wish I knew AOC was nominated to New York's 14th congressional district before moving to NYC.

I can't keep playing this game...................it's getting too, too upsetting.................

Old 07-26-2019, 06:40 PM

9,408 posts, read 9,284,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you’re going to shop at Trader Joe’s, be strategic about timing. After work the lines to check out literally wrap around the entire store.
Henna, I'm usually a big admirer of your posts, but I fail to see how subway observations or TJ information would be of material help to know in advance. I imagine most people can figure this out pretty quickly.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:43 PM

22,279 posts, read 23,777,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Henna, I'm usually a big admirer of your posts, but I fail to see how subway observations or TJ information would be of material help to know in advance. I imagine most people can figure this out pretty quickly.
Yea, but why figure it out when you can just avoid it?

Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM

11,339 posts, read 21,822,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
After the first time you get hit by a rotten putrid smell after stepping into a subway car that's somewhat less crowded than the adjoining cars, you'd learn that lesson, wouldn't you.

And the first time you get caught in a morass of complicated track work diversions on a weekend subway trip, you'd learn to check the MTA site in advance.

So if the rule is, no advice on this thread that you can figure out after having gone through something once, then I guess I have nothing more to offer.

Last edited by Henna; Yesterday at 08:31 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM

4,469 posts, read 8,455,066 times
People are extremely rude in every way. They have attitudes for no reason, and you constantly need to be alert at all times. If you live in the hood you can't have nice things. Also if you have a car in nyc, parking sucks, and you can't take care of it. The streets have lots of potholes, and people are always in a rush so you cant take care of your car. Keeping it 100.

Old Today, 11:35 AM

2,634 posts, read 1,969,315 times
That at any time you take the subway, you may be stuck in the train under the tunnel for hours before it moves again. So, make sure use the bathroom before you get on the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City