U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 06:40 PM

101 posts, read 29,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My twenty something daughter loves Woodside. There are fun bars with trivia nights. Sunnyside is also very fun with lots of restaurants and bars.

However, finding a $1,800 monthly rent is going to be really hard.

I've used this real estate agency - highly recommend. https://www.welcomehomerealestate.biz/

Bayside - it's not for young people.

Midwood Brooklyn is where grandparents lived. Love it. However, it has changed and now has a large Hasidic population.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/hassidic-c...rooklyn-442781
Bell Blvd in Bayside is probably the hottest strip for young people in Queens. About 30 bars, dozens of restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 07:30 AM

359 posts, read 305,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopSays View Post
true, or the additional sales tax, BUT its jers.....
There's all types of trade-offs to consider. Yeah, you pay the 3-4% city tax in NYC, but you don't need to buy a bus/train pass for NJ Transit. If you wanna go out in the city, just take the subway and not worry about having to catch a late bus out of Port Authority. New Jersey in general is less hectic than living in the city. Parking is relatively easier in Jersey than in the city. You wanna buy property for yourself, the property taxes seem to be lower in the city...but if you decide to start a family, Jersey (with the schools, etc...) will sway most people.

So much back and forth to think about. A lot of pros and cons on each side - depending on what your situation is.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopSays View Post
I'm not familiar with Queens enough to really comment on it but from the Brooklyn side I would say you should be able to find something in your range in south slope, midwood, windsor terrace area. After 19 yrs in nyc and in brooklyn I would say look for areas with multiple train options (even if its a local and express option), try to avoid 'two-fare' zones (where you have to catch a bus to a train), and I would say consider getting rid of the car or getting a car-spouse (someone you split ownership of the car with as well as expenses like insurance et al).

Congestion pricing is going to force a fair amount of local traffic to brooklyn bridge and other 'free' options which will add time/stress to driving in the city. I can say I watched folks post grad school leave the city for jersey city and other spaces outside of the city and now they are heading back into the city - the pluses of the move out of the city ultimately didn't outweigh the pluses of being in the city.
I hear you on this. As far as the car is concerned, I'm making payments on it - but have less than a year (maybe 7-8 months) to go on those payments. I want to keep the car. If I need to get out of the area, I won't have to rely on buses/trains.

As I think more about the options in Queens/Brooklyn vs. Jersey, certain neighborhoods stand out more. I think with Brooklyn, I'm zeroing in on South Slope, Windsor Terrace, Kensington, Ditmas Park, Midwood, and northern Sheepshead Bay. As far as Queens goes, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, and Ditmars Steinway are the heavy favorites, with Sunnyside and Bayside still getting some looks.

If I stay in Jersey, I most likely will try to stay around Jersey City Heights/Union City/North Bergen. Towns on the radar for me include East Rutherford, Secaucus, Bogota, Ridgefield Park, Cliffside Park, Teaneck, the Brookdale section of Bloomfield, and the Allwood section of Clifton.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My twenty something daughter loves Woodside. There are fun bars with trivia nights. Sunnyside is also very fun with lots of restaurants and bars.

However, finding a $1,800 monthly rent is going to be really hard.

I've used this real estate agency - highly recommend. https://www.welcomehomerealestate.biz/

Bayside - it's not for young people.

Midwood Brooklyn is where grandparents lived. Love it. However, it has changed and now has a large Hasidic population.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/hassidic-c...rooklyn-442781

Appreciate the $0.02. I'm not worried about finding a place with all young people. I'm 39 after all...not really itching to party with 21-22 year olds. If I'm in an area that has a good amount of 30 and 40-somethings, that's more of my scene.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:47 AM

1,038 posts, read 648,108 times
this comment is just ridiculous. Flushing and bayside have excellent transit options. Flushing has LIRR and 7 train. 7 train is one of the best in the subway system. and you can always find seats as Flushing is the terminal stop. I do this every day. Bayside has LIRR, which takes you 25 mins to Penn if you want to spend a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Out of your options:

Kew Gardens, Rego Park, Forest Hills and Kew Gardens Hills - all nice areas but parking is horrendous. You will spend an hour trying to find a spot, no joke. You will also be hard-pressed to find something there in your budget.
Bayside/Flushing - too far and the commute will make you want to commit homicide. The 7 train is packed to the point of insanity. You also might stand out as these areas are not really that diverse.
Briarwood - This might be a good bet depending and you can also take the LIRR from Jamaica station.

Ditmas Park, Kensington, Windsor Terrace, South Slope, - you probably won't find much in your budget except for maybe a studio. Parking will also be an issue again.
Midwood and northern Sheepshead Bay - this might be your best bet. A lot of people are moving by the Newkirk Ave stop on the B/Q. Midwood and Sheepshead you'll have a good chance to find something in your budget. Pricing is going up quickly in these areas, but if you move fast you should still be able to find a deal.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:31 PM

2,262 posts, read 674,268 times
All depends on your priorities:

- Commute
- Dating
- Parking

Astoria/LIC there is no parking. Don't even think about it.

Bayside is too far from the city if you need to commute unless you are cool shelling out an additional $150 + a month for LIRR rail pass.

Kew Gardens/Rego Park/Forest Hills sucks for dating in your age range unless you want to be a Sugar Daddy or babysitter.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
this comment is just ridiculous. Flushing and bayside have excellent transit options. Flushing has LIRR and 7 train. 7 train is one of the best in the subway system. and you can always find seats as Flushing is the terminal stop. I do this every day. Bayside has LIRR, which takes you 25 mins to Penn if you want to spend a little more.
Um Flushing Native here....

"Excellent" , to WHERE exactly

It can take an hour to get to Jamaica from Flushing by bus. So even within Queens no, Flushing doesn't have "excellent" transportation.

"Excellent" would be access to a ferry PLUS a tram if there's not multiple train lines. I would not say ANY part of NY has "Excellent" transportation

Old 08-09-2019, 02:35 PM

20,130 posts, read 35,128,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxr203 View Post
What's going on everybody?

For the longest time now, I said that I was content on living just outside of the city, as long as I had good access to it. Felt this way really because I'm pushing 40, I already work in the city, and sometimes it can be a grind - but that's Manhattan. Over the last couple of months, I've been thinking more and more about expanding my options. Things are relatively good in the Union City/Jersey City Heights area where I currently live. With that being the case, there still are a few neighborhoods in Queens and Brooklyn that I've had my eye on lately.

Queens: Definitely interested in Kew Gardens, Bayside, and Sunnyside. On the fence for Ditmars Steinway, Rego Park, Flushing, Woodside, Briarwood, Forest Hills, and Kew Gardens Hills.

Brooklyn: Definitely into Ditmas Park, Kensington, and Windsor Terrace. Other possibilities include South Slope, Prospect Park South, Midwood, and the northern part of Sheepshead Bay (area code 11229, which is north of Avenue X).

So I'm a 39 y/o single black man and I work near Union Square. I'd like some diversity in the area I'm in, but I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. Would ideally like to find a 1BR, and could go up to about $1700/month...definitely don't want to go past $1800 though. I still have my car, and I've seen monthly parking online for $150-200/month, so I'm not worried about that. If the apartment somehow includes a parking spot, that's obviously a plus - but I'm not betting on it.

Now in the end, I might still stay in Hudson or Bergen County in New Jersey, especially considering that I want to keep my car. But if I were to do Queens or Brooklyn, what do y'all think are the best areas for somebody like myself? Of the areas on my list above, am I wasting my time with a few of them, and are there ones that I left out?

Hit me up - let me know what you think. Thanks!
Canarsie
Mill Basin
Georgetown
Flatlands

You will be far from the nightlife but you will be able to keep your car and maintain your commode, and not live in an extremely ratchet area

Queens you cant do it unless you in a ratchet area, if that's not a problem for you then Queens is open

Every area you mentioned in Queens or Brooklyn, parking will be a problem and expensive, either or

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-09-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxr203 View Post
Appreciate the $0.02. I'm not worried about finding a place with all young people. I'm 39 after all...not really itching to party with 21-22 year olds. If I'm in an area that has a good amount of 30 and 40-somethings, that's more of my scene.
The problem with this is there's a lot of diversion in that age group in Queens. They will be in Astoria but no car, in Bayside but not single (or not work in the city). Brooklyn would be a better bet for dating in your age range but less parking. You will encounter a more eclectic mix because from what I've observed BK is more popular in the age 35-45 group vs. Queens.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
The problem with this is there's a lot of diversion in that age group in Queens. They will be in Astoria but no car, in Bayside but not single (or not work in the city). Brooklyn would be a better bet for dating in your age range but less parking. You will encounter a more eclectic mix because from what I've observed BK is more popular in the age 35-45 group vs. Queens.
I should've clarified this a little better. I was responding to someone who mentioned parts of Queens that were great for 20-somethings. Me, being almost 40, responded the way I did. I meant to say that I just prefer to chill/meet people a little more mature. I know that 20-somethings are gonna be out, especially at bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or