U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 12:04 AM

101 posts, read 29,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Um Flushing Native here....

"Excellent" , to WHERE exactly

It can take an hour to get to Jamaica from Flushing by bus. So even within Queens no, Flushing doesn't have "excellent" transportation.

"Excellent" would be access to a ferry PLUS a tram if there's not multiple train lines. I would not say ANY part of NY has "Excellent" transportation
You can drive to Citifield and park then jump on the 7 and be in midtown in no time. Did it all the time.

And splurging to get the LIRR out of Bayside is well worth it. I used to get the 8:15 and was in my darn office seat in midtown before 9am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 09:39 PM

8 posts, read 4,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussiaRussiaRussia View Post
Bell Blvd in Bayside is probably the hottest strip for young people in Queens. About 30 bars, dozens of restaurants.
Hotter than Astoria? I think Bell Blvd is fun but it's still just one road.

Old 08-11-2019, 02:35 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,170,616 times
I live in Ditmars Steinway and have a car. I pay $1800 for a large one bedroom - looks like rental prices have been falling lately based on the fliers in real estate agency windows. I park on the street and rarely have an issue. Sure, sometimes it's annoying, and most of the time, my usage of the car is limited to a schedule because I don't want to deal with the hassle of moving it. The key is to live a few blocks from the subway - I have a 7-10 minute walk or 5 minute bus ride, and that makes finding parking much much much easier.

If I didn't already have a car then I would have been perfectly fine without one (and had more $$ in my pocket lol), but I already had one before I moved here 3 years ago and do like it for the convenience it brings me, even if it also brings inconvenience.

Oh, and I'm 40, so around the same age. Moved here the day before I turned 37.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about the neighborhood!

Old 08-11-2019, 11:49 AM

359 posts, read 305,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
I live in Ditmars Steinway and have a car. I pay $1800 for a large one bedroom - looks like rental prices have been falling lately based on the fliers in real estate agency windows. I park on the street and rarely have an issue. Sure, sometimes it's annoying, and most of the time, my usage of the car is limited to a schedule because I don't want to deal with the hassle of moving it. The key is to live a few blocks from the subway - I have a 7-10 minute walk or 5 minute bus ride, and that makes finding parking much much much easier.

If I didn't already have a car then I would have been perfectly fine without one (and had more $$ in my pocket lol), but I already had one before I moved here 3 years ago and do like it for the convenience it brings me, even if it also brings inconvenience.

Oh, and I'm 40, so around the same age. Moved here the day before I turned 37.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about the neighborhood!
Thanks Liz

Old 08-13-2019, 02:08 PM

2,262 posts, read 674,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussiaRussiaRussia View Post
You can drive to Citifield and park then jump on the 7 and be in midtown in no time. Did it all the time.

And splurging to get the LIRR out of Bayside is well worth it. I used to get the 8:15 and was in my darn office seat in midtown before 9am.
And park where? At what cost?

People just take it for granted that others want the headache of parking and ridiculously high car insurance rates in NYS.

Excellent transportation = CHEAP, WIDELY AVAILABLE PARKING WITH LOW CAR INSURANCE RATES and/or at least 3 MAJOR methods of interconnecting CONSISTENT/RELIABLE transport.

If someone were to describe getting around from Flushing as "There are options, but not the best" that would probably be more accurate than the word "Excellent".

Excellent would also even imply that you could BIKE a mile without risking your life which is NOT the case in most areas of NYC 5 boroughs!

There was a time where you could drive to the train at Queens Center Mall park there cheaply for the day and there was always a spot without having to get up at the crack of dawn. I believe the last time this was possible or existent was the year 1998. (if that)

Rest assured, there are no more "Drive and Train" combination options because there is NO PARKING ANYWHERE NEAR ANY MAJOR TRAIN LINE. (that does NOT cost an arm and a leg)

Old 08-30-2019, 02:09 PM

Hey wassup everybody, wanted to come back through and provide another update.

So I'm apartment hunting right now and I've seen some good places. Price-wise, $1500 or less is what I'm targeting in Hudson County, NJ while $1800 or less is the idea if I want to be in Queens or Brooklyn. Also been looking into parking options as well, including parking garages (I can find monthly parking for less than $250/month near areas I want), and people renting spaces out at their property.

I've also had the chance to spend some extra time after work in the Queens/Brooklyn neighborhoods I want in order to get a feel, hit some bars, and see apartments. In the end, I've narrowed my choices to three areas or "clusters" to move to:

Union City (south of 495)/Jersey City Heights
Greenwood/South Slope/Windsor Terrace/Kensington/Midwood (Brooklyn)
Sunnyside/Woodside/Astoria (Queens)

What are your own thoughts or impressions on those three areas? Just interested to see what people got to say. Hit me up!

Old 09-04-2019, 01:09 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,593,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxr203 View Post

So I'm apartment hunting right now and I've seen some good places. Price-wise, $1500 or less is what I'm targeting in Hudson County, NJ while $1800 or less is the idea if I want to be in Queens or Brooklyn. Also been looking into parking options as well, including parking garages (I can find monthly parking for less than $250/month near areas I want), and people renting spaces out at their property.

I've also had the chance to spend some extra time after work in the Queens/Brooklyn neighborhoods I want in order to get a feel, hit some bars, and see apartments. In the end, I've narrowed my choices to three areas or "clusters" to move to:

What are your own thoughts or impressions on those three areas? Just interested to see what people got to say. Hit me up!
I live close to the area of Queens you're targeting and I don't think you can go wrong with any of those specific neighborhoods. They each have vibrant pockets and quieter pockets but are all fairly desirable for a single adult by Queens standards. My personal preference would be Astoria, Sunnyside, then Woodside.

I don't know too much about the specific Brooklyn neighborhoods you're considering but I think a single person would be better off further north in that general area than south.

I can't tell you a thing about New Jersey lol.

Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

4,295 posts, read 1,115,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke of Mastic View Post
Ridgewood.
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww................Please...........

Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM

4,295 posts, read 1,115,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxr203 View Post

My friend lives near Kensington.
Anywhere close to the N train is ideal.
I love it. I can be eating Italian on one side of the street.
Cross the street and it's Peruvian or Chinese.
Walk a few blocks it's Bagels and locks or Carribbean Cuisine.
Wonderful and plentiful houses of Worship.
The N train is a 45 minute ride into the city but it is new and immaculate
and rides mostly above ground until entering the city. Very nice....
Many of the stations have been remodeled.
By the way plenty of stops along the N train from shopping to
eating to partying.....Plenty of busses in Brooklyn. Also Nice...
Parking is alternate but not horrible. Better than Queens.
Rents are competitive. Buildings are older.
People are very diverse, welcoming and crime is ultra low.
Best wishes.

Old Today, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
I live close to the area of Queens you're targeting and I don't think you can go wrong with any of those specific neighborhoods. They each have vibrant pockets and quieter pockets but are all fairly desirable for a single adult by Queens standards. My personal preference would be Astoria, Sunnyside, then Woodside.

I don't know too much about the specific Brooklyn neighborhoods you're considering but I think a single person would be better off further north in that general area than south.

I can't tell you a thing about New Jersey lol.
Appreciate the input. Understood if you're not up on NJ, especially if you live in Queens. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or