U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 07:43 AM

355 posts, read 297,384 times

Advertisements

What's going on everybody?

For the longest time now, I said that I was content on living just outside of the city, as long as I had good access to it. Felt this way really because I'm pushing 40, I already work in the city, and sometimes it can be a grind - but that's Manhattan. Over the last couple of months, I've been thinking more and more about expanding my options. Things are relatively good in the Union City/Jersey City Heights area where I currently live. With that being the case, there still are a few neighborhoods in Queens and Brooklyn that I've had my eye on lately.

Queens: Definitely interested in Kew Gardens, Bayside, and Sunnyside. On the fence for Ditmars Steinway, Rego Park, Flushing, Woodside, Briarwood, Forest Hills, and Kew Gardens Hills.

Brooklyn: Definitely into Ditmas Park, Kensington, and Windsor Terrace. Other possibilities include South Slope, Prospect Park South, Midwood, and the northern part of Sheepshead Bay (area code 11229, which is north of Avenue X).

So I'm a 39 y/o single black man and I work near Union Square. I'd like some diversity in the area I'm in, but I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. Would ideally like to find a 1BR, and could go up to about $1700/month...definitely don't want to go past $1800 though. I still have my car, and I've seen monthly parking online for $150-200/month, so I'm not worried about that. If the apartment somehow includes a parking spot, that's obviously a plus - but I'm not betting on it.

Now in the end, I might still stay in Hudson or Bergen County in New Jersey, especially considering that I want to keep my car. But if I were to do Queens or Brooklyn, what do y'all think are the best areas for somebody like myself? Of the areas on my list above, am I wasting my time with a few of them, and are there ones that I left out?

Hit me up - let me know what you think. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 10:29 AM

11,358 posts, read 21,872,429 times
I'm not sure how most of those neighborhoods would benefit you over Jersey City. Certainly the ones you listed in Queens are for the most part not that interesting except Ditmars.

Some of the ones you listed in Brooklyn sound great but I would be extremely surprised if you can get a $1800 one bedroom in prime areas like South Slope.

Have you checked rent prices in these areas?

Old 07-26-2019, 10:47 AM

217 posts, read 48,439 times
Try Jackson Heights between 72-78 street/34-37 Ave. You can get a 1 bedroom for $1850 if you hurry.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm not sure how most of those neighborhoods would benefit you over Jersey City. Certainly the ones you listed in Queens are for the most part not that interesting except Ditmars.

Some of the ones you listed in Brooklyn sound great but I would be extremely surprised if you can get a $1800 one bedroom in prime areas like South Slope.

Have you checked rent prices in these areas?
You'd be surprised. I check Trulia all the time and I can see some listings there. All depends on where you look. Same thing with the parking spots and pricing. If you know where to look, you can find a decent deal.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:58 AM

11,358 posts, read 21,872,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxr203 View Post
You'd be surprised. I check Trulia all the time and I can see some listings there. All depends on where you look. Same thing with the parking spots and pricing. If you know where to look, you can find a decent deal.
I know where to look. I'm just thinking what you see online may not match up to reality, but in your case, I hope for the best

Old 07-26-2019, 06:24 PM

4,031 posts, read 1,041,866 times
Queens Forest Hills.
Very Diverse. Low Crime. Lot of movement. Close proximity to New York by L.I. RailRoad .
Couple of stops......Woo....Hoo.... Ride in comfort . Middle Age Folks. Worth a shot.
Where you live and work is one thing. Where you have fun is another.

Old 07-27-2019, 05:40 AM

32,275 posts, read 33,182,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Queens Forest Hills.
Very Diverse. Low Crime. Lot of movement. Close proximity to New York by L.I. RailRoad .
Couple of stops......Woo....Hoo.... Ride in comfort . Middle Age Folks. Worth a shot.
I second Forest Hills by the express subway station of 71st/Continental Avenue. One also has Austin Street for dining options and small shops. On Queens Blvd. in that area one has the Midway Multiplex theater and a post office. On 71st Avenue (near Queens Blvd) is a branch of the Queens Library. So lots of amenities in this area.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:56 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,578,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I second Forest Hills by the express subway station of 71st/Continental Avenue. One also has Austin Street for dining options and small shops. On Queens Blvd. in that area one has the Midway Multiplex theater and a post office. On 71st Avenue (near Queens Blvd) is a branch of the Queens Library. So lots of amenities in this area.
Finding a 1 BR for under $1,800 close to the express stop should prove pretty difficult.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Queens Forest Hills.
I agree with those last two sentences!

Old 07-27-2019, 08:24 AM

77 posts, read 19,106 times
Astoria would be very convenient to go from work to because the N and R trains going straight to union square , plus it’s very very diverse demographically with nice restaurents and bars it’s just very expensive and most is over 2000 a month . I agree with the others posting about forest hills , very nice amenities . But bayside ? Omg you will be so far out it will take u forever and a day to get to work . Bayside so far I don’t think I’ve even been over there except maybe once because the only way there is by car and I had no reason to go that area as of yet , one time recently I had a job interview but I didn’t go because if I got it I would definitely hate the commute . There’s no trains in bayside , It takes about a hour to get there from even Jamaica so coming from the city forget about it lmao you’ll be better off moving to jersey ( not to mention bayside should be pretty expensive but without the convenient location and transportation)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or