U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 06:16 PM

2,343 posts, read 1,419,516 times

Advertisements

Just give it another decade or two. Hell's Kitchen hasn't really been redeveloped much... only starting as of late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 06:17 PM

2,343 posts, read 1,419,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
It's because of Penn Station and Port Authority - transport hubs like those are magnets for seediness in lots of places, not just NYC.
Grand Central is a transport hub too.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:31 PM

19,715 posts, read 34,826,813 times
Deep in Midtown East it gets a lil bit scruffy

Think Bellevue area

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-27-2019, 06:29 AM

2,519 posts, read 4,121,019 times
Third avenue by grand central is gross. I work over there but not too much longer, thank goodness

Old 07-27-2019, 08:43 AM

702 posts, read 1,182,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Deep in Midtown East it gets a lil bit scruffy

Think Bellevue area
True. There’s plenty of Bellevue drifters and litter in that area. My point was proven because after I started this tread I walked over from midtown east over to the penn station area and witnessed lots of vagrancy and other quality of life issues. As somebody mentioned earlier, these conditions would not be tolerated over by Madison/Lexington & Park Avenue in the 40s/50s

Last edited by Midwesterns45; 07-27-2019 at 08:54 AM..

Old 07-27-2019, 08:50 AM

64 posts, read 14,000 times
Probably because midtown east has less trains , and as others mentioned transport hubs widely attract the homeless and people in general . I’m barely ever in midtown east , I think people in general don’t go to the east side unless they have to ( live there or work there ) because it’s out of the way . Most of the attractions are in midtown west and the furthest tourists go east is 5th Avenue and there’s a train station on sixth avenue so unless you live in the east side of manhattan not much reason to go , people who live by the 456 line trains go to Lexington but after that there’s no m
reason to be on 2nd Avenue or 1st unless your trying to hide lol . I even joked with my friend like if you don’t want to run into anybody just go deep on the east side , you see dramaticically less people it’s a ghost town compared to dead center 8th and 7th avenues where u could barely walk down the street without bumping into tourists and other city commuters . But on the other hand same can be said about the farthest avenues on the west side , 10th and 11th Avenue Is pretty calm and low traffic . With 9th Avenue kinda in between .

Old 07-27-2019, 04:17 PM

20,979 posts, read 13,904,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
True. There’s plenty of Bellevue drifters and litter in that area. My point was proven because after I started this tread I walked over from midtown east over to the penn station area and witnessed lots of vagrancy and other quality of life issues. As somebody mentioned earlier, these conditions would not be tolerated over by Madison/Lexington & Park Avenue in the 40s/50s

Where in mid-town east are you seeing tons of "Bellevue drifters"?

Now if you're talking about mid-town west, yes, there are tons of "drifters", homeless or whatever. But that starts from about Chelsea and goes right up through the UWS.

West side from Chelsea through Hell's Kitchen and onto UWS has long had a huge population of SRO/flea bag hotels, welfare hotels, substance abuse clinics, supportive housing, and the rest. Eighth Avenue from about high teens right up to Penn Station and beyond is full of scruffy and undesirables.

The UES and mid-town east has comparatively few homeless shelters, (thank God), supportive housing and whatever else brings that element to a neighborhood. We've got plenty of homeless who come here to dig through garbage bags, beg, sleep on streets, but still nothing like the west side.

Things have gotten worse with the SAS because the "Broadway" subway lines are long trips so homeless can settle down and sleep or whatever going back and forth. The "Q" has homeless on it during daytime hours, but after 10PM or so nearly every GD car has one or more homeless stinking up the place along with those carts carrying all that stuff they haul around with them.

Old 07-27-2019, 04:21 PM

5,023 posts, read 1,911,153 times
OP: "Bland" was not the right word to use to describe what you are describing.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:27 PM

702 posts, read 1,182,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
OP: "Bland" was not the right word to use to describe what you are describing.
What is the right word then?

Old 07-28-2019, 05:48 AM

1,614 posts, read 969,521 times
East side was more residential back when the west side was grimy industry like slaughterhouses. I've read the affluent from the east and upper central park neighborhoods used to keep second homes along the NJ cliffs where they could escape the humid summer smells drifting over from midtown west. HK and parts of Chelsea were generally less desirable so shady looking businesses and tenement style housing still dot the west side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City