U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2019, 02:59 PM
 
2 posts, read 423 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

dob inspector stoped by, said someone was complained about we’ve “digging up our basement”. since i didn’t let the inspector enter our basement, she gave a “notice to call for inspection”, and then he asked to take a look of the first floor, we let he in, which he took a picture of the corner. then he left.

my question is the complaint wasn’t about the first floor, is it ok to let her check the first floor? should i worry about the picture will effect the inspection?

will the complaint close if we never let the inspector enter the basement? and would it takes months to close the complaint?


please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2019, 03:03 PM
Status: "Put the Wet Stuff on the Red stuff" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: USA
1,371 posts, read 447,405 times
Reputation: 1191
What are you hiding? Why not let them back in when they show up again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2019, 03:11 PM
 
188 posts, read 174,394 times
Reputation: 102
If you are this worried well, whatever you are doing you should stop and fix it.


But make sure they show some sort of ID before letting them in next time and maybe ask them questions as to what they were looking for etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2019, 06:12 PM
 
Location: NY
4,000 posts, read 1,029,961 times
Reputation: 2344
You have the right not to let anyone enter your premises. ( aside from emergency situations )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2019, 11:55 AM
 
Location: NYC
14 posts, read 6,538 times
Reputation: 15
They are required to make 2 attempts before closing the complaint. They can get an access warrant at that point, but they usually only do that if the conditions are really dangerous or if there is illegal activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2019, 03:53 PM
 
1,039 posts, read 509,808 times
Reputation: 873
Tell them to go kick rocks. They can only enter with a warrant unless you voluntarily let them in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2019, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
8,498 posts, read 20,441,734 times
Reputation: 6389
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheWrap View Post
They are required to make 2 attempts before closing the complaint. They can get an access warrant at that point, but they usually only do that if the conditions are really dangerous or if there is illegal activity.
They obviously suspect illegal activity already. Creating an illegal basement apartment is also dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2019, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
8,498 posts, read 20,441,734 times
Reputation: 6389
Quote:
Originally Posted by im3mins View Post
dob inspector stoped by, said someone was complained about we’ve “digging up our basement”. since i didn’t let the inspector enter our basement, she gave a “notice to call for inspection”, and then he asked to take a look of the first floor, we let he in, which he took a picture of the corner. then he left.

my question is the complaint wasn’t about the first floor, is it ok to let her check the first floor? should i worry about the picture will effect the inspection?

will the complaint close if we never let the inspector enter the basement? and would it takes months to close the complaint?


please help!
What was it with the corner he took a picture of? He must have seen something suspicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2019, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
8,498 posts, read 20,441,734 times
Reputation: 6389
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Tell them to go kick rocks. They can only enter with a warrant unless you voluntarily let them in.
They love coming back with warrants. It’s a cat and mouse game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2019, 11:42 PM
 
1,039 posts, read 509,808 times
Reputation: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
They love coming back with warrants. It’s a cat and mouse game.
They don't. I know of people whp actually called DOB themselves because tenants had done illegal alterations and the courts were dragging their feet with evicting the tenant. The DOB inspector came two (one 4 times!) and gave up. This was a major safety hazard issue too. I also look at real estate as a hobby. I have seen buildings with multiple complaints and no violations.

People in our neighborhood call Dob all the time about the illegal construction being done by investors, most without proper permits. 8 out of ten times they don't even show up. Their reputation is worse than their actual actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top