U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 06:53 AM

11,351 posts, read 21,843,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Is the problem landlords increasing rents? Commercial rent control?

"The story of New York City in 2018 is a story of empty storefronts: Nearly every week, another longtime shop or eatery announces that they are closing, after years—if not decades—in business. (Latest addition: The much-loved 35-year-old Tex-Mex joint Tortilla Flats, in the West Village.) In my neighborhood of Astoria, Queens, it’s Steinway Street, a retail strip that’s now undergoing pedestrian-focused improvements to lure back visitors, because there are too many vacancies. And when new tenants do move in, their name is often Starbucks. Or Wells Fargo.

The booming Big Apple has become a “capitalist paradox,”as The Atlantic’s Derek Thompson recently wrote—a “rich ghost town.” As its unique mix of retailers and eateries metamorphose into a monotony of nail salons, chain outlets, and bank branches, the city is becoming “a high-density simulacrum of the American suburb.” Several studies indicate that 20 percent of Manhattan’s storefronts lie vacant—concentrated in the borough’s most trafficked areas, where commercial rents have soared. The worrisome trend—which exists outside of Manhattan, too—suggests a question: What happens when a city becomes too costly to offer the very ingredients that people look for in a city?"

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/...ontrol/574069/
What are "pedestrian-focused improvements"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Or bus!

See people all the time getting on at 14th or 34th and Third or First loaded with Trader Joe's bags. That or yes, they are getting on the UES trains at Union Square.
I go to Trader Joe's once or twice a week, always by train. And it's always out of my way. But I think it's worth it. I don't live in a food desert but sometimes it feels like it due to the mediocre quality of the grocery stores.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:17 AM

8,496 posts, read 20,438,515 times
I think a big part of it is that NY'ers( especially in Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn are so insecure and status conscious these days ....not really NY'ers anyway......that they are brainwashed into thinking they can only shop at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Fairway, Citarella,etc.

I have 3 large markets (Key Foods,C Town, Food Choice), 2 mid sized markets, a number of green grocers , a health food store and 5 or 6 small mom and pop bodegas within 5 blocks of my apartment.

There must be plenty of neighborhoods throughout the city like this.

I purposely never go out of the neighborhood to shop unless it is for something I absolutely have to have and can't get locally. People create their local neighborhood environments by the choices they make. Stores go out of business , storefronts stay empty and everyone whines about the empty storefronts created by their own shopping choices.

Last edited by bluedog2; 07-27-2019 at 07:29 AM..

Old 07-27-2019, 07:50 AM

1,080 posts, read 327,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
What are "pedestrian-focused improvements"?
I have no idea!

Old 07-27-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I think a big part of it is that NY'ers( especially in Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn are so insecure and status conscious these days ....not really NY'ers anyway......that they are brainwashed into thinking they can only shop at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Fairway, Citarella,etc.
Maybe some are, but for myself, I simply shop at Trader Joes because the prices are excellent and the products are good. I can't imagine who I'd be impressing with my TJ's groceries anyway. People who see my TJ's products and are impressed by that or think it's a status marker must be strangely insecure themselves.

I'd have no problem shopping locally if I could get the same quality/price as at TJ's. When I am in Astoria, I do shop locally at the fish market, produce store, Mediterranean market, etc. I just don't trust the fish market or meat markets in Jackson Heights; the produce markets are ok. I once bought fish at the Foodtown and thank goodness I did not eat it because 12 hours later the smell proved it was clearly rotten.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:01 AM

1,080 posts, read 327,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
NYC has 5 Chinatowns now and they are all filled with small businesses. There are many Chinese people in the suburbs and they open up small businesses there too. I've been to other parts of the country and it's not true that eveywhere besides NYC is all chains. Small businesses open up in strip malls throughout the country.

Irish people largely left Woodside, so that's why it's not filled with Irish businesses. Instead it is filled with Latino businesses.
Not every neighborhood is filled with strip mall type stores. However, more neighborhoods have more strip mail - Starbucks, nail salons and banks - than before.

Woodside has everything -

"Woodside's population was 30% Asian American. Woodside has a large population of Thai Americans, Korean Americans, Chinese Americans and Filipino Americans (see Koreatown, Chinatown, and Little Manila), each with their own respective ethnic enclave. There are also South Asian Americans, particularly Indian Americans, Bangladeshi Americans, Nepalese Americans, and Pakistani Americans, as well as a large Dominican and Latino population.[112] " Wikipedia

I lived in Sunnyside twenty five years ago and my daughter lives in Woodside now. I am amazed how different her neighborhood is now.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:13 AM

5,685 posts, read 2,955,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
NYC has 5 Chinatowns now and they are all filled with small businesses. There are many Chinese people in the suburbs and they open up small businesses there too. I've been to other parts of the country and it's not true that eveywhere besides NYC is all chains. Small businesses open up in strip malls throughout the country.

Irish people largely left Woodside, so that's why it's not filled with Irish businesses. Instead it is filled with Latino businesses.
First generations don't patronize chains. That's why mom and pops are still strong in ethnic neighborhoods. Second generations start to patronize the chains, Starbucks, DD, CVS, Walgreens, PapaJohns, Wholefoods, etc.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:05 AM

21,584 posts, read 28,519,100 times
UES (Yorkville not so bad. Best and most popular for flyer sales is Key Foods (Our tenant at 92nd and Second) Identical pricing (so part opf the key food chain) is the Universal at 96th and Lex. Good also for a once a week stroll-through is C-Town at 89th and Second. By far the best of the bunch is our Key Food. Having a market in the building is handy for inclement weather, hot or cold, raining or snowing.

For the Hoity Toity who must spend the maximum price on everything, there is Fairway on 86th and Whole Paycheck on THird (at 88th.) But even they have their winners occasionally that draw me in, like $1.99 half &half at Fairway, and $1.99 Puffed Wheat and Rice (once a month)

Old 07-27-2019, 03:48 PM

21,015 posts, read 13,922,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
UES (Yorkville not so bad. Best and most popular for flyer sales is Key Foods (Our tenant at 92nd and Second) Identical pricing (so part opf the key food chain) is the Universal at 96th and Lex. Good also for a once a week stroll-through is C-Town at 89th and Second. By far the best of the bunch is our Key Food. Having a market in the building is handy for inclement weather, hot or cold, raining or snowing.

For the Hoity Toity who must spend the maximum price on everything, there is Fairway on 86th and Whole Paycheck on THird (at 88th.) But even they have their winners occasionally that draw me in, like $1.99 half &half at Fairway, and $1.99 Puffed Wheat and Rice (once a month)
Don't know why people keep insisting Whole Foods is some sort of crazy expensive. More than a few news and other reports compared Whole Foods to Fairway, Trader Joe's and a few other NYC supermarkets, WF overall on average came out best in pricing.

As with any supermarket somethings will cost less elsewhere, but WF isn't the "Whole Paycheck" people getting going on about.

Fairway OTOH and even DAG or "Grossedies" often cost far more with not much better or even worse quality.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:43 AM

21,584 posts, read 28,519,100 times
To each his own.
I found Trader Joe's tempeh at 1/2 the price of Whole Foods so I buy it at TJ's when I am on the West Side. Yes, Dag and Gristede's suck besides, the Third Avenue Dag is too far a walk for a couple items and the two Gristedes nearest me have closed down.

I have the luxury of retirement so I can maneuver my daily walks to pick up what I need at the cheapest prices. I can go from one loss leader to the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City