U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 10:08 AM

6,442 posts, read 5,934,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I found Trader Joe's tempeh at 1/2 the price of Whole Foods so I buy it at TJ's when I am on the West Side.
KK how do you make/prepare your tempeh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 12:55 PM

21,584 posts, read 28,511,974 times
I slice it thin and sauté on two sides in a mix of butter and olive oil and the drizzle on some San-J Szehcuan sauce and a bit of sesame oil.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:11 PM

9,455 posts, read 9,301,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
NYC once had plenty of chain grocery stores.

A&P, Bohack, Pathmark, Red Apple, Waldbaum's, etc.....

Problem is things have changed in both the supermarket industry and NYC as a whole.

First and foremost many of those supermarkets were just as busted, vermin infested and otherwise gross as the small "mom and pop" stores in some area neighborhoods.

Two, small mom and pop markets or whatever began to go out of business as chains or other supermarkets began to appear. This also coincided with housewives and others either because of working or whatever preferring to do all their shopping at once in one store. Instead of going different places for meat, fruit and veggies, etc... supermarkets allowed one stop shopping.

Supermarkets are low margin businesses. They can only charge so much for things before customers look elsewhere. All markets in NYC charge high prices, but some supermarkets were outrageous. The high cost of doing business in this down all but ensures prices will be higher.

People who can then and still today drive out to NJ, LI or Conn to do their grocery shopping to find prices cheaper than Manhattan or parts of the other boroughs. Those who have country homes especially do this, as you can see every Sunday afternoon or evening as those having returned to the city are busy unloading their rides with groceries and things purchased while out in the country.

Places like DAG, Gristedes, some Key Foods and Morton Williams can often best be described as supermarkets of last resort. There isn't anything else in the area, so you have few other choices.

Stores like Balducci's , Zabars, Citarella, Fairway and the other specialty places bridge the gap for those who can afford. They also directly compete with chain supermarkets drawing away some of their customer base. Also now that Duane Reade, Rite Aid, CVS and Walgreens have become quasi supermarkets there again the established chain places just face too much competition.

Reason why many areas don't have supermarkets or are food "deserts" is same why they don't have hospitals (or the ones they have are closing down), and many other things. Local socio-economic demographics don't support.
It seems wrong to lump upscale Gristede and D'Ag together with low-end Key.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:27 PM

21,015 posts, read 13,922,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It seems wrong to lump upscale Gristede and D'Ag together with low-end Key.
Why? Because for most part that is exactly where DAG and Gristedes supermarkets belong.

The latter was never upscale, and DAG has gone down hill. If Gristedes didn't step in with a huge cash infusion (pretty much buying DAG), they would have closed by now.

Both stores tend to survive now in areas where they face nil to no competition.

The remaining DAG stores on UES are near Lenox Hill Hospital, York and 80th, and 84th and Lexington. Of the three the first two benefit greatly from basically being the only supermarket for blocks.

Stopped going when SAS construction began, but the Key Food on Second near 96th is large, has a wide selection of items, and reasonable prices. No, it isn't always the cleanest place, nor have I ever bought meat or poultry in the place, but otherwise place is way ahead of DAG or Gristedes.

People getting best deals from those places are seen nightly going though their garbage.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 07-29-2019 at 07:13 PM..

Old 07-29-2019, 07:07 PM

8,183 posts, read 8,678,059 times
"Please Mr. Dagastino, move closer to me."

Old 07-30-2019, 08:41 AM

54 posts, read 6,993 times
I live on S.I. near a large clean, bright, well-stocked 80,000 square foot Stop-N-Shop on Hylan Blvd. A 76,000 square foot ShopRite is due to open in the fall, a block away from Stop-N-Shop. NYC needs more supermarkets like SNS and SR. Most NYC supermarkets are 3rd rate operations charging high prices because their competition is just as bad, even in Manhattan. Modern supermarkets need large spaces not usually available in the 5 boroughs except for SI and the outer areas of Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx.

The city has a program to encourage supermarkets to locate in 'underserved' communities. Note that not all the under-served communities are in poor areas. Many times local zoning makes it hard for supermarkets to find the large amounts of space that they need:

https://www.nycedc.com/program/food-...t-health-fresh

Last edited by dfc99; 07-30-2019 at 08:57 AM..

Old 07-30-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
"Please Mr. Dagastino, move closer to me."

Preferably that is somewhere in Ohio.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:37 AM

A 76,000 square foot ShopRite is due to open in the fall

Pardon me while I orgasm while doing the Can-Can.
Leaving my neighborhood Shop-Rite was one of the hardest reasons to leave Jersey City.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:42 AM

3,781 posts, read 3,876,231 times
NYC zoning laws is a big reason why big supermarkets don't open in a lot of neighborhoods. Of course rent $ is another, but a lot of that is driven by zoning laws anyway, making those kinds of spaces to be at a premium.
Most big floor area retailers and supermarkets can still open in areas with no rich liberal NIMBYs.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:18 AM

54 posts, read 6,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
A 76,000 square foot ShopRite is due to open in the fall

Pardon me while I orgasm while doing the Can-Can.
Leaving my neighborhood Shop-Rite was one of the hardest reasons to leave Jersey City.

LOL! ShopRites are well-run supermarkets. The new one opening near me is relocating from it's current location on Hylan Blvd & Burbank Ave to the new 'The Boulevard' shopping center at Hylan Blvd & Ebbitts Ave in New Dorp. The ShopRite is due to open in October but November or December seems more realistic.

The Boulevard, Staten Island, NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City