U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 10:22 AM

54 posts, read 6,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
NYC zoning laws is a big reason why big supermarkets don't open in a lot of neighborhoods. Of course rent $ is another, but a lot of that is driven by zoning laws anyway, making those kinds of spaces to be at a premium.
Most big floor area retailers and supermarkets can still open in areas with no rich liberal NIMBYs.

A funny thing on that map of under-served areas is that includes Todt Hill, Staten Island. One of the wealthiest neighborhoods in NYC. But it's a big area zoned for large 1-family homes only so it shows up as under-served by supermarkets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 10:48 AM

2,150 posts, read 1,409,441 times
I went to ShopRite in New Rochelle and thought it was pretty miserable compared to the Fairway in Stamford, CT and Trader Joes that opened in the Lower East Side. Those are probably the only 2 grocery stores I've ever actually enjoyed shopping at. I also still like Key Food sales, but with Trader Joes being closer and on average cheaper at better quality, I honestly can't complain. Whole Foods serves its purpose when it does, that's all I'll say about that. Other than that, because Fine Fare is close, sometimes I go there for stuff that wouldn't be at Trader Joes or Target, but I digress.

I don't get what's so special about ShopRite. We had Dominik's in Chicago too that everyone thought was special, and I never saw what was so great about it. My grocery bill is always less than $30 and I shop maybe once a week, so maybe I've never been the kind of shopper that ShopRite was made for.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:26 AM

3,781 posts, read 3,876,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I went to ShopRite in New Rochelle and thought it was pretty miserable compared to the Fairway in Stamford, CT and Trader Joes that opened in the Lower East Side. Those are probably the only 2 grocery stores I've ever actually enjoyed shopping at. I also still like Key Food sales, but with Trader Joes being closer and on average cheaper at better quality, I honestly can't complain. Whole Foods serves its purpose when it does, that's all I'll say about that. Other than that, because Fine Fare is close, sometimes I go there for stuff that wouldn't be at Trader Joes or Target, but I digress.

I don't get what's so special about ShopRite. We had Dominik's in Chicago too that everyone thought was special, and I never saw what was so great about it. My grocery bill is always less than $30 and I shop maybe once a week, so maybe I've never been the kind of shopper that ShopRite was made for.
Big supermarkets like ShopRite cater to families. You won't notice much difference if you are buying individual food items as a single person, or that difference would be pretty negligible to you. Most of their savings are realized if you buy in bulk.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:48 PM

21,013 posts, read 13,922,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
A funny thing on that map of under-served areas is that includes Todt Hill, Staten Island. One of the wealthiest neighborhoods in NYC. But it's a big area zoned for large 1-family homes only so it shows up as under-served by supermarkets.

There used to be a Waldbaum's on Manor Road in shopping center across from Todt Hill Houses (which aren't really in TH, but we're not on that right now). Waldbaum's closed/went bankrupt, then eventually a Superfresh moved into the space.

All this being said, as one keeps repeating SI was once rural/suburban and still mostly is that way. Just like in the burbs if you wanted to go supermarket shopping you got in your car and drove.

There was an A&P at Manor and Victory. Then further down on Forest Avenue you had two huge supermarkets across from each other. There was a Hill's on Richmond Avenue (where SI Mall is now), and so it goes.

Have been spoiled since moving into city. If I want or need something at 2AM can just walk down a few blocks to RiteAid or Duane Reade. On SI you have to get in your ride and drive to find something, especially late/over night when few things are open.

What SI had plenty of traditionally was local markets like Fazino's on Manor Road. They've since moved across the street and became A&C Superette: https://www.yelp.com/biz/a-and-c-sup...-staten-island

Old Today, 07:02 AM

21,584 posts, read 28,511,974 times
Have been spoiled since moving into city. If I want or need something at 2AM can just walk down a few blocks to RiteAid or Duane Reade.

How are the pork chops at Duane Reade?

Old Today, 06:29 PM

21,013 posts, read 13,922,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Have been spoiled since moving into city. If I want or need something at 2AM can just walk down a few blocks to RiteAid or Duane Reade.

How are the pork chops at Duane Reade?
Are you getting smart with me?

You know what I meant.

Meats no, but RA and other convenience stores have dairy, cereal, coffee, paper products and pretty much anything one would need in a pinch.

Who the eff wakes up at 2AM looking for pork chops?

Old Today, 08:05 PM

2,866 posts, read 3,783,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I go to Trader Joe's once or twice a week, always by train. And it's always out of my way. But I think it's worth it. I don't live in a food desert but sometimes it feels like it due to the mediocre quality of the grocery stores.
I'm in Jackson Heights too. Do you go to the Trader Joes on Spring St in Manhattan? I'm right by Roosevelt and that's how I do my grocery shopping (E Train literally puts you door to door).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City