U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM

56,610 posts, read 54,993,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
This makes no sense to me - yes, you can be distracted, but as you leave the car you see actual children in the back seat - and then as the day begins, you think about your children numerous times. This is just inconceivable to me and I agree with the poster that said that the only way this could happen is if the person is intoxicated or mentally ill. A healthy adult would not be able to ignore the fact that they put children in a car in the first place and then as they were exiting the car, just left them there. That is not an accident.
Well, obviously he didn't see "actual children" in the back seat this time or he would have known they were there, and that may be because of the rear-facing car seats, I don't know. But I have put things in the back seat that I wanted to drop off or take with me and then forgot about them and didn't see them when I got out. You don't always look in the back seat of the car when you get out, especially if your mind is already ahead to the next thing you have to do. That's a big part of this phenomenon, I think. We are not always "present" in our minds.

And yes, most people do think of their children during the day, but if you think you dropped them off at daycare, you're thinking of them as being THERE. If you remember from the Fatal Distraction article, Lyn Balfour thought she actually remembered having a conversation with her babysitter that morning about her son being up all night because of a cold, when in reality, the conversation had only taken place in her head, because she'd never dropped him off. She only realized it when she heard the multiple voicemails from her babysitter asking why she hadn't dropped him off, and then it was too late.

You must also remember the other mother who said she parked her car and got out of it and was about to walk away when out of the corner of her eye she saw a small movement, and turned her head--the baby had moved its hand just enough that she saw it, and then she was horrified to realize she'd forgotten to drop her off at daycare. In that case, tragedy was averted.

Unfortunately, this has happened way too frequently that we know that the "intoxicated or mentally ill" perception simply isn't true most of the time. But, they do have to investigate these things to identify the accidents from the truly negligent.

Old Today, 10:58 AM

15,643 posts, read 25,144,716 times
there was just a news thing the other night where the little girl was wandering in gravesend, and 2 sanitation workers discovered her, asked if she was lost, she said she was.

seems the bus driver and matron (see below link) did not check the bus thoroughly and signed off on it, but point Im trying to make was the girl was supposed to go to the day care, and Like I had stated and another poster ststed, didnt the daycare call to find out where the babies were.

well this question was asked by the newsreporter and the daycare said they will call if is is 2 days or more.

i dont know how most of you all feel, but to me, if a child is supposed to be in daycare and is not there, my logic and senses tell me they should take attendance everyday and if a child is supposed to be there and isnt, someone should make a phone call to find out why or where the expected child is.

this whole thing is disturbing

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/08...tron-arrested/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:12 AM

56,610 posts, read 54,993,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
there was just a news thing the other night where the little girl was wandering in gravesend, and 2 sanitation workers discovered her, asked if she was lost, she said she was.

seems the bus driver and matron (see below link) did not check the bus thoroughly and signed off on it, but point Im trying to make was the girl was supposed to go to the day care, and Like I had stated and another poster ststed, didnt the daycare call to find out where the babies were.

well this question was asked by the newsreporter and the daycare said they will call if is is 2 days or more.

i dont know how most of you all feel, but to me, if a child is supposed to be in daycare and is not there, my logic and senses tell me they should take attendance everyday and if a child is supposed to be there and isnt, someone should make a phone call to find out why or where the expected child is.

this whole thing is disturbing

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/08...tron-arrested/
^I guess it depends upon the quality of the daycare facility. I never had to use one because my mother was my "daycare" for my daughter. It is something that should probably be taken into consideration when choosing a daycare--will they call and check if the child is not in attendance/require that the parent calls if the child is not coming?--not just for if one forgets to drop off their kid, but if anything else happened, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or