U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 09:09 PM

56,493 posts, read 54,891,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I don't see the point of charging this guy, what's that going to accomplish

I think when the kids survive is when there should be prosecution, otherwise he's already been punished a million times over
Well, I think they have to charge them and conduct an investigation. It would be irresponsible for law enforcement not to do so. Sadly, it has not been accidental every time this has happened.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:22 PM

204 posts, read 137,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I think that's a good idea. And with Bluetooth technology, there is no reason for you to have your phone up in the front with you anyway.
Priorities. Pretty sad when someone will forget their kid but remember their phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 09:25 PM

21,015 posts, read 13,922,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I agree, this is absolutely a tragic mistake.
sentencing this man to jail, like another poster said, whats it going to do.
besides take a father away from 3 other children.

While I cannot believe someone can be that stupid, but none the less, I dont think it was intentinal, so I have to agree with the other poster.

jailing this man, isnt the answer, he will be jailed in his own head (sadly) for the rest of his life.

Its a terrible terrible shame for the whole entire family
Again, no one said this man is going to prison or will even be convicted.

However in order to get at truth a criminal investigation (that's what the thing is called), must be conducted. In NYS at least this is done usually after an arrest. We shall know more after case is presented to a grand jury and what that body decides.

That is another thing, in NYS felony charges must go through the grand jury process. In other parts of the world when there is an unexpected death case goes to the coroner who holds an inquest. Results from said inquest can lead to criminal charges, nor not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coroner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inquest

If the grand jury in this case truly believes nothing more than an unfortunate accident occurred, it can decline to indict father of deceased infants. If or once that occurs criminal case is for all intents and purposes over. OTOH should the GD return an indictment then it will be for the DA's office to prove their case in court, and for the defendant (the father) to fight.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:26 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,182,770 times
I pray that this never happens to me or my wife but if it did I'd just want to end my life. There's no way I'd be able to live with myself. I don't have much sympathy for this man. I don't care how good of a father he seemed. He made a huge mistake and two babies are dead because of his carelessness. I'm sorry, or I made a mistake or I forgot or whatever excuses he might make will never bring the babies back.

The best punishment you can give people like this is to neuter them so that they never reproduce. Don't allow them to bring any more children into this world. Since that will not happen I hope he spends a long time in jail thinking about his mistake. Two little babies died a tragic and horrible death. I just can't look past the kids.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:48 PM

244 posts, read 110,729 times
this guy is going to be imprisoned. Two people died, as a result of his (in)action. Call it neglect (it is), this is a criminal matter. Whether accidental or not.

I could see a judge giving a slightly more lenient sentence.. but this may not happen because the number of deaths is TWO.

Old 07-29-2019, 01:28 AM

2,865 posts, read 2,151,379 times
This is a horrible story and terrible tragedy all around. I can't imagine ever doing that myself but then again I'm guilty of accidentally leaving the hot element on the stove on twice after cooking now. Thankfully nothing happened but someone could have gotten hurt and they have a red light on the stove to alert us. I blame it on getting older. Mind doesn't work as well as when I was younger. Memories are more foggy now and life is more busy with lots of distractions.

Still leaving twin babies to boil at 108 degrees in a hot car!? I would surely think about them during the day before it came to something tragic I'd hope. Now days some cars do have safety measures to prevent leaving children in the back seat. More alarm features. GMC Arcadia has a rear seat reminder anytime the door is open and closed. I think I could get the evenflo car seat or the key chain attachment that alerts you if you walk away from the car and left the child in there.

RIP sweet baby twins.
@{---,-----
@}---'-----

Old 07-29-2019, 06:08 AM

8,169 posts, read 5,349,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I pray that this never happens to me or my wife but if it did I'd just want to end my life. There's no way I'd be able to live with myself. I don't have much sympathy for this man. I don't care how good of a father he seemed. He made a huge mistake and two babies are dead because of his carelessness. I'm sorry, or I made a mistake or I forgot or whatever excuses he might make will never bring the babies back.

The best punishment you can give people like this is to neuter them so that they never reproduce. Don't allow them to bring any more children into this world. Since that will not happen I hope he spends a long time in jail thinking about his mistake. Two little babies died a tragic and horrible death. I just can't look past the kids.
Ok, genius. What about babies/ kids that drown - should the parents/lifeguard be put in prison or neutered? Or kids that find the gun of their parents and shot themselves or someone else? Or babies/kids that fall out of an open window?

Tragic mistakes can happen in life.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:27 AM

2,725 posts, read 6,247,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I don't see the point of charging this guy, what's that going to accomplish

Er, cause it's murder? So if I kill someone and feel really bad about it, I can avoid prosecution, cause I punished myself already?

Old 07-29-2019, 06:52 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,182,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Ok, genius. What about babies/ kids that drown - should the parents/lifeguard be put in prison or neutered? Or kids that find the gun of their parents and shot themselves or someone else? Or babies/kids that fall out of an open window?

Tragic mistakes can happen in life.
Don't be condescending because I voiced my opinion. Those scenarios you pointed out are different from this specific situation. When it comes to a parent leaving their child in a hot car to die that is a criminally neglegent act. I don't care how much of an accident or mistake it was. And to be honest no one actually knows if this was intentional or not. This man could be the best actor in the world with his antics. What if he was miserable having two extra kids and thought this was the best way to address that problem?

Old 07-29-2019, 07:48 AM

5,284 posts, read 5,209,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
This.

If they will forget a kid, then why don't they forget the phone as well...
People always say that but I have forgotten my cell phone in all kinds of places and I don't realize until way later. (And a few of those times I have left it in the car and I've been thankful no one broke into my car.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or