Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 04:42 PM

39 posts, read 255,174 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I will be taking the NY bar in July and plan to take the NY BarBri course in Atlanta. I just recently found out that it will be via video. I would like to know if it is worth taking the course via video and how does asking questions on the material work. I am considering just buying the books and studying on my own. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 07:59 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,242 times
This is not a law school webpage. Do not screw around with the Bar. Take it very seriously. I would advise you to talk to the academic support office at your school.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:03 AM

39 posts, read 255,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
This is not a law school webpage. Do not screw around with the Bar. Take it very seriously. I would advise you to talk to the academic support office at your school.
I know this site isn't a law school webpage. However, it is a site concerning things in New York. Since I was asking a question about the New York bar and people from New York tend to respond to posts on here, I think that my question is valid. I am trying to get opinons from a variety of people, so I would think asking people in New York who have already taken the bar and the Barbri course would have been a good idea. I also know that the bar is serious. The last 3 years of my life would be meaningless if I don't pass it. What was the purpose of your post anyway? Have you taken the New york bar?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:44 AM

181 posts, read 866,612 times
While I haven't taken the New York Bar, I did take the Texas Bar last summer and passed just fine. I went to all the BarBri classes (well, most of them) and can tell you that the most valuable thing you get are the materials, not the lectures. If you can buy someone's materials from last year who went to the classes and filled in the blanks (they do that to give you a reason to come), then you should be fine. However, you have to have the self-discipline to study on your own. I didn't want to take any chances so I paid for the class and went. In retrospect however, I could have just studied the materials on my own. Just to note, the Texas Bar is 3 days long and known as one of the "harder" bar exams (behind California and New York)-just to give you some background so you know I'm not speaking from just taking the D.C. Bar or something like that.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:40 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texags02 View Post
While I haven't taken the New York Bar, I did take the Texas Bar last summer and passed just fine. I went to all the BarBri classes (well, most of them) and can tell you that the most valuable thing you get are the materials, not the lectures. If you can buy someone's materials from last year who went to the classes and filled in the blanks (they do that to give you a reason to come), then you should be fine. However, you have to have the self-discipline to study on your own.
I took the NY bar exam and studied on my own with used BarBri outlines. I didn't have the discipline to do it until about 16 days before the exam, then I went on virtual lockdown and it worked out fine for me. I knew people who were away and did the video classes, and it worked out fine for them too. I actually know a lot of people signed up for the live classes who blew them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City