U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:23 PM

6,317 posts, read 6,423,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
This is factually inaccurate. Amazon was going to bring in a ton of high paying jobs that would have increased the net taxes collected immediately and forever. This would have been one of the best new providers of middle class and upper middle class jobs in a decade. Democrats and Republicans mostly agreed on the issue too, which is almost unheard of. Unfortunately the radical left wing of NYC politicians were able to scare off Amazon and everyone lost out. To reiterate, we were not talking about the minimum wage part time jobs that a Stadium brings. I would be more inclined to agree with you there.
Unless those increased taxes revenues are guaranteed to lower everyone else's taxes over the following years, who cares? It probably just increase everyone property taxes, and rent with the increase in RE values. Everyone will just end up with more higher living costs, and more headaches (traffic etc, etc) because of Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Really, what would teach the local NYC communist politicritters a lesson would be if Amazon got a boffo deal from NJ and Jersey City. Moved 10,000 jobs there, and sucked those workers out of NYC.
There are plenty of people who live in NJ and commute into NYC, and many people in NYC who commute to NJ for work. Anyone who is already in NYC and does not have a job really should go some where that has jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I fail to see how moving to LIC would be trans-formative to a borough that is already over priced while other areas that are under developed would've served a better location.

There's a lot of greed in the original LIC deal by Amazon insiders that were gonna profit from the LIC location.

I don't think any boro president begging on their knees would make a difference because Amazon insiders already decided where they're gonna go to maximize their insider trading.

It sucked for many who shelled a ton to buy properties from Amazon insiders and they turn around and walked on the deal. That's what Amazon does in business, they always had to have the upper hand.
The outer boros dont need any transformation. They have been what they are for decades. What is Amazon suppose to turn the outer boros into? Some kind of vegan, soy boy paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:31 PM

6,317 posts, read 6,423,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I addressed some of this already, but I know I'm long-winded so it might've been missed.

1. The terms were 25,000 jobs within ten years of constructing the headquarters. It was not, as contended by another poster earlier, immediate. Headcount is between 5,000 and 6,000 for Amazon in the city already and this is for 4,000 more positions in one location though other locations are also being looked at. Will it be at or close to 25,000 in 10 years? I'm going to guess unless something drastic happens to Amazon (or the city), probably. If something drastic were to happen to Amazon though, they probably wouldn't reach that count anyhow even with the unified LIC location.

2. Yes, absolutely the incentives were tied to performance. I don't think that's a point of contention, though they were some posters who opposed the Amazon count who did not seem to quite understand how that works and thought it was all simply a giveaway which it isn't. I am not one of those posters.

3. I'm in agreement that an outer borough location is preferred to a Manhattan one(s) for various reasons such as better usage of existing transit which crush loads people into a peak direction. The unfortunate thing about the LIC location was that it doesn't really do that though I still think it's marginally better than a Manhattan one. I really wish the city and state had done the hard push for Jamaica, or the even more difficult one for Broadway Junction. Honestly, if it was put in one of those two neighborhoods with solely as-of-right incentives and a commitment from the city and state to invest in the neighborhood, then I would've been all for it.
LOL ten years is a long time. Amazon can re-negotiate lower expectations.

Ala . . . The economy will sour again, and Amazon will demand more or else wont bring in any more jobs, and say NYC will tank even further, and get whatever they want.

It just be an endless vicious cycle of corporate welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City