U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,407,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, to the exclusion of everything else. So superblocks of public housing exist in other countries, but they aren’t necessarily crime infested or devoid of commercial areas as the ones in NYC or the US in general for that matter. I think part of it might be to have residents have more skin in the game which is why I was wondering if there are any proposals or studies to convert them to co-ops with residents owning shares in that co-op, and with some restrictions. And with that, some commercial areas within these superblocks.
I feel like other countries handle their housing better than the US does. I agree with LaGuardia in stating Robert Moses, and really the US government in general, should have never had a hand in housing. I'd give up my lottery apartment and past rent stabilized apartment 10 times over to rewrite that history and maybe even make a constitutional amendment...

That also being said, the darker half of my ancestry 2 generations ago resided in the Cabrini Greene projects in Chicago, so I should be careful of what I wish for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:26 AM

66 posts, read 14,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I'm very familiar with the neighborhood and the visible gentrification goes way further East than that. Like another poster said, there are many gentry businesses as far East as the Wilson Ave stop. Yes the neighborhood is pretty dirty, but so are plenty of gentrified neighborhoods.

It doesn't look like Park Slope, but that doesn't mean it's not rapidly gentrifying with very visible signs of gentrification. I also don't think it's that project heavy for a Brooklyn neighborhood. As far as I know, Hope Gardens is the only large housing project in Bushwick proper, and it's low rise.
Since he mentioned Roberta’s as bushwick , he’s also likely including all the projects in east williamsburg that’s by bushwick Avenue as bushwick also . But yea your right , bushwick proper doesent have much projects , the housing stock of bushwick is very diverse . Some things look almost luxury but I guess that’s newer real estate .

Old Today, 04:23 AM

1,945 posts, read 574,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan2queens View Post
Since he mentioned Roberta’s as bushwick , he’s also likely including all the projects in east williamsburg that’s by bushwick Avenue as bushwick also . But yea your right , bushwick proper doesent have much projects , the housing stock of bushwick is very diverse . Some things look almost luxury but I guess that’s newer real estate .
True, but even if you include that the neighborhood isn't that project heavy.

In addition to the new luxury construction, I also like the prewar rowhouses and apartment buildings (as long as they're maintained properly).

While the neighborhood isn't super sanitized, it is clearly way past the early stages of gentrification. Just look at the selection of businesses (food, coffee shops, nightlife, performing arts, niche hipster stuff, etc.) that have opened up over the last several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or