U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 04:42 PM

3,988 posts, read 1,022,780 times

Advertisements

My opinion:

Brownsville has a long long reputation.
Your most models of citizenry today would never occupy this neighborhood.
A high murder rate followed by crime and severe poverty continues to prove
its status remains undeterred as an undesirable place to call home.

The Mayor speaking out on the shootings stated:

" This tragedy does not define Brownsville "

I respond your instituted policy on stop and frisk ultimately did.
Disrespect of officers by neighborhood thugs pouring buckets of water
over police men's heads only perpetuates a hesitancy from any city worker to respond
to help of any kind as the neighborhood continues to spiral downward into the abyss.

My heart goes out to those who contact the media to show support to the recent dousing of officers with water
by coming together and washing police cars. My greatest of admiration but they number far and few between.
I have worked this neighborhood for over 20 years. I experienced theft ,vandalism,disrespect and a number of close
calls with death. Just an average day in the hood you might say. It was a urinal back then and it remains a urinal today.

Is there a solution to fix the behavior of this community?
I am sure there are many ideas out there .
Would you care to respond with intelligent ,positive and non racist ideas.

Curious minds would like to know.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 07-28-2019 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 04:43 PM

10,992 posts, read 9,393,631 times
We've been there already....

Multiple NYC Shooting last night

Old 07-28-2019, 04:48 PM

3,988 posts, read 1,022,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
We've been there already....

Multiple NYC Shooting last night
I am requesting positive advice from any interested party into coming up with a solution to fix this dire community.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:30 PM

8,800 posts, read 7,159,797 times
We’re not figuring out that mess here.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-28-2019, 06:34 PM

118 posts, read 67,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
My opinion:

Brownsville has a long long reputation.
Your most models of citizenry today would never occupy this neighborhood.
A high murder rate followed by crime and severe poverty continues to prove
its status remains undeterred as an undesirable place to call home.

The Mayor speaking out on the shootings stated:

" This tragedy does not define Brownsville "

I respond your instituted policy on stop and frisk ultimately did.
Disrespect of officers by neighborhood thugs pouring buckets of water
over police men's heads only perpetuates a hesitancy from any city worker to respond
to help of any kind as the neighborhood continues to spiral downward into the abyss.

My heart goes out to those who contact the media to show support to the recent dousing of officers with water
by coming together and washing police cars. My greatest of admiration but they number far and few between.
I have worked this neighborhood for over 20 years. I experienced theft ,vandalism,disrespect and a number of close
calls with death. Just an average day in the hood you might say. It was a urinal back then and it remains a urinal today.

Is there a solution to fix the behavior of this community?
I am sure there are many ideas out there .
Would you care to respond with intelligent ,positive and non racist ideas.

Curious minds would like to know.

"Cohen has gotten hold of something important, it must be acknowledged. The street life of second-generation Jews in the East New York and Brownsville sections of Brooklyn in the 1920s and 1930s was not very different from street life in any lower-middle-class area. For many young men, the sons of ill-educated, impoverished immigrants, life was nasty, brutish, rough, angry, even desperate."

"But Cohen wants to tell us about the Jewish gangsters, not the Jewish intellectuals or the Jewish businessmen, and is he ever proud of those gangs. To him, the criminals -- notorious national figures like Arnold Rothstein, Meyer Lansky and Louis Lepke, as well as countless anonymous street-corner thugs -- were role models of a sort, symbols of the notion that the People of the Book can be doers, not just thinkers. Never mind what kind of actions they took: They were men of action, to be admired, at least for that."

This is an excerrpt from: "THE BAD OLD DAYS: BROOKLYN'S JEWISH GANGSTERS"

Brownsville's problems go way beyond race and it's issues span generations and generations as well as different ethnic and racial groups.

It will be interesting to see how the rise in property values there and in neighboring East New York will have any effect on the crime and poverty that has always been associated (for at least the last 80-100 years) those two neighborhoods.

Rowhouses in both areas (specifically Ocean Hill and where the Mayor rezoned) are inching near or above a million dollars.

Last edited by ThatCareerGuy; 07-28-2019 at 06:45 PM..

Old 07-28-2019, 06:51 PM

10,992 posts, read 9,393,631 times
Copied from my post I the other thread I linked....

Bring back Broken Windows. Bring back Stop and Frisk. Bring back aggressive policing. Elect DAs and judges who'll lock up criminals.

We know how to deal with this. We've just allowed the inmates to get control of the asylum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
I am requesting positive advice from any interested party into coming up with a solution to fix this dire community.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:55 PM

11,344 posts, read 21,831,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Copied from my post I the other thread I linked....

Bring back Broken Windows. Bring back Stop and Frisk. Bring back aggressive policing. Elect DAs and judges who'll lock up criminals.

We know how to deal with this. We've just allowed the inmates to get control of the asylum.
I agree. And part of broken windows was stopping all the fare beaters to see if they had any open warrants. A bunch of wanted criminals were captured that way. But...that's all gone since fare beaters are no longer even stopped at all.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:07 PM

64 posts, read 14,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCareerGuy View Post
"Cohen has gotten hold of something important, it must be acknowledged. The street life of second-generation Jews in the East New York and Brownsville sections of Brooklyn in the 1920s and 1930s was not very different from street life in any lower-middle-class area. For many young men, the sons of ill-educated, impoverished immigrants, life was nasty, brutish, rough, angry, even desperate."

"But Cohen wants to tell us about the Jewish gangsters, not the Jewish intellectuals or the Jewish businessmen, and is he ever proud of those gangs. To him, the criminals -- notorious national figures like Arnold Rothstein, Meyer Lansky and Louis Lepke, as well as countless anonymous street-corner thugs -- were role models of a sort, symbols of the notion that the People of the Book can be doers, not just thinkers. Never mind what kind of actions they took: They were men of action, to be admired, at least for that."

This is an excerrpt from: "THE BAD OLD DAYS: BROOKLYN'S JEWISH GANGSTERS"

Brownsville's problems go way beyond race and it's issues span generations and generations as well as different ethnic and racial groups.

It will be interesting to see how the rise in property values there and in neighboring East New York will have any effect on the crime and poverty that has always been associated (for at least the last 80-100 years) those two neighborhoods.

Rowhouses in both areas (specifically Ocean Hill and where the Mayor rezoned) are inching near or above a million dollars.
I was thinking this too , Brownsville was always a poor dangerous neighborhood even when it was mostly Jewish , that was the era of murder inc and many of the members were from Brownsville. Only difference is the public housing there now , but the ugly tenement buildings was always there . Thereís actually some blocks in Brownsville where itís all nice houses and i donít mean those row homes , thereís some regular one or two family homes with grassy lawns and drive ways but itís a minority and who would even want a nice house in such a bad neighborhood. Youíll probably end up as a target because with nicer property means more money and ppl wanting to take it . Idk what the solution is , I think neighborhoods like Brownsville , and most neighborhoods in the Bronx wonít sadly ever become good , in a weird way itís like they are prisons outside of prison ... itís where all the undesirable is . But with all the nycha there there is always going to be a lot of poverty , same with east Harlem . East Harlem has second highest nycha developments behind Brownsville and accompies them as one of the most dangerous places in the city

Old 07-28-2019, 08:37 PM

4,282 posts, read 6,375,682 times
One of the biggest problems with Brownsville, East New York, and similar neighborhoods is not just poverty. It is concentrated poverty. With too few middle-class working people in these neighborhoods, everything bad gets magnified and there is too little social pressure to put a stop to a lot of the nonsense that goes on. Becoming a mixed-income neighborhood would help tremendously, but that will be very hard to accomplish with the blocks and blocks of huge housing projects that are poorly kept up and warehouse so many of the neighborhood miscreants. And when anyone seriously talks about middle-income housing, whether in the neighborhood itself or in the PJs (there was talk of this a while back), the locals often get so alarmed at the thought of gentrification that the whole process grinds to a halt, despite what benefits it might bring to an area.. And try putting low-income housing in middle-class neighborhoods. Good luck with that. I really believe that the isolation of our poorest New Yorkers is a huge part of the problem. But I really don't have an answer to that.

But the tough guy, hard core policing (being a hard a** over minor non-violent behavior) is ultimately counterproductive. It just sends people through the criminal justice system, maybe to jail, maybe even gives them a record, all of which makes it even harder to escape to a middle-class life. Moreover, it makes folks in the hood detest the cops who are supposed to be there to protect them, not make their lives miserable over petty stuff. And I'm not talking about hard core gangbangers and criminals with that. Yes, cops need to go after them, and go after them hard. But more Eric Garner responses aren't going to solve the problems in the hood.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:06 PM

19,715 posts, read 34,826,813 times
Brownsville was built on a swamp, start there

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or