U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 05:45 PM

9,562 posts, read 9,349,363 times

Advertisements

I've been really irritated that although we are currently in the middle of Restaurant Week, there are no RW booklets with the listings either at the Macy's visitor's niche on the mezzanine, nor at the information counter at Grand Central, nor at the tourist kiosk at Times Square.

And the meager pickings just reminded me of how bad their offerings are. The only fliers they have are usually the self-promotional ones for mediocre restaurants, chain hotels, or mass-market plays. And the staff knows nothing, usually, not even who to contact. Why don't they have their own materials, such as a decent pamphlet about all the museums, for instance? Why does Hudlander have to post here, as he did recently, asking where to find a basic street map? Why do they no longer have the tiny little folding subway map? For that matter, why do our airport shuttle buses have bare sidewalk stops without even the protection of awnings for arrivals?

We just do a poor job with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 08:29 AM

13,118 posts, read 8,895,542 times
The internet really fixed this problem decades ago. Most people, especially millennials already know where they want to go and have a full plan on their smart phones. If you're still analog and won't go digital then you need to go to the NYC Information Center booth at Times Square.

I've been to several vacations domestic and international where I just need to ensure i have internet access to Google map, TripAdvisor, etc and I'm set.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:16 AM

2,320 posts, read 2,852,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The internet really fixed this problem decades ago. Most people, especially millennials already know where they want to go and have a full plan on their smart phones. If you're still analog and won't go digital then you need to go to the NYC Information Center booth at Times Square.

I've been to several vacations domestic and international where I just need to ensure i have internet access to Google map, TripAdvisor, etc and I'm set.
Exactly.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:38 PM

9,562 posts, read 9,349,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

You've got to be kidding. You think you can navigate the huge number of options for Restaurant Week on a tiny phone screen? A phone is great for looking up one small bit of information that you already know you want. It's useless for getting a feel for the geography of a whole city, and useless for multi-faceted information that would have you endlessly clicking in and out. And do you think that the overkill of the internet absolves the tourism office from any obligation to be a competent, helpful resource?

By the way, I specifically said that I went to the Times Square booth.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:47 PM

19,788 posts, read 34,936,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
You've got to be kidding. You think you can navigate the huge number of options for Restaurant Week on a tiny phone screen? A phone is great for looking up one small bit of information that you already know you want. It's useless for getting a feel for the geography of a whole city, and useless for multi-faceted information that would have you endlessly clicking in and out. And do you think that the overkill of the internet absolves the tourism office from any obligation to be a competent, helpful resource?

That's part of the problem right there. The Internet is spelled with a capital "I"

It's not even about grammar, but moreso that this is the 21st century

Paper books and paper maps are getting meh

Google Maps can actually talk to you and tell you where to turn, you should really try it

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-31-2019, 02:58 PM

1,996 posts, read 600,473 times
You can find all that stuff on the internet

Paper guides do have uses, but NYC as a whole is too broad for them to be of maximum usefulness

Old 07-31-2019, 02:59 PM

I use Google Maps/Reviews to plan my trips ahead of time, doing further research on specific places ahead of time. I do this mostly on my laptop rather than my phone, though.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:56 PM

13,118 posts, read 8,895,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

Facebook and Twitter makes their money delivering feeds, I think your usage of the internet is out of date. If you want to complain about information no longer being delivered the old way. Get use to it, soon paper media will be collectible items. I pay stuff with my phone and no need for paper receipts.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:04 PM

1,274 posts, read 1,516,566 times
OP trying to find restaurant week info

Old 07-31-2019, 04:10 PM

I do actually find travel books useful (if they're up to date) since they expose me to stuff I wouldn't have searched for myself

But I still rely mostly on the internet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or