U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 06:31 AM

302 posts, read 105,269 times

Advertisements

I think you could make an argument that ASP stifles the economy. Why should I go catch a movie, and try a new restaurant when I have a "good" spot and don't want to lose it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 07:32 AM

5,289 posts, read 5,215,577 times
There are plenty of areas that aren't filthy that do not have it---like Marine Park in Brooklyn.

I would like to say it gets people out of permanent spots but I have seen many of the same repeat offenders not move their cars anyway for alternate side.

The street cleaners do not work that well anyway---I have seen other cities that have much better cleaners. When I was visiting in Pittsburgh, I think they had alternate side once per month where I was staying and it was something easy to follow like the first Tuesday of every month.

On major avenues and streets, it makes sense to have it more regularly. Where I live, off of the main avenues, it stays pretty clean.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:10 AM

61 posts, read 8,047 times
I don't believe this but some people in Astoria actually want Alternate Side Parking!

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...-neighborhood-

Old 08-01-2019, 10:50 AM

104 posts, read 32,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
I don't believe this but some people in Astoria actually want Alternate Side Parking!

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...-neighborhood-
It's Astoria, the neighborhood that voted in AOC. Honesty I'm surprised Astoria didn't have ASP implemented.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
It's Astoria, the neighborhood that voted in AOC. Honesty I'm surprised Astoria didn't have ASP implemented.

True. Generally the no-ASP areas are the further out areas of the outer boroughs, and 99.9% of Staten Island.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:40 AM

11,916 posts, read 6,386,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHome buyer View Post
People donít even realize that it is illegal to double park on the other side of the street during alternate side parking times.

Alternate side also causes heavy traffic mess in certain areas.

Once a week on each side is enough but that would cut millions to city revenue ($45-60 for each car that does not move, and $125 for each car that does not move back on time plus all the late fees and towing fees)
It is, but given that people are generally either in their cars or within eyesight of their cars, the police/traffic agents really don't care to ticket the folks who double park. And they shouldn't IMO, as there is literally no where else for them to park given that every other side of the street for miles around has the same ASP rule in effect. The alternative is for these drivers to drive around for the up to 2 hours that the rule is in affect, thereby increasing wear and tear on the streets and leading to separate traffic problems on their own. Not to mention that--at least my experience--the rules tend to be in effect at times where traffic is not at its worst for the day.

And, given that the professed main reason for ASP regulations is to clean the streets, the double parking still allows for this to happen.

Just my two cents, though.

And once a week on each side may be enough for certain neighborhoods (and some neighborhoods have negotiated to get theirs down to once a week as they have generally clean streets), but not enough for others where homeowners and neighbors don't take care of the streets around them.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
It is, but given that people are generally either in their cars or within eyesight of their cars, the police/traffic agents really don't care to ticket the folks who double park. And they shouldn't IMO, as there is literally no where else for them to park given that every other side of the street for miles around has the same ASP rule in effect. The alternative is for these drivers to drive around for the up to 2 hours that the rule is in affect, thereby increasing wear and tear on the streets and leading to separate traffic problems on their own. Not to mention that--at least my experience--the rules tend to be in effect at times where traffic is not at its worst for the day.

And, given that the professed main reason for ASP regulations is to clean the streets, the double parking still allows for this to happen.

Just my two cents, though.

And once a week on each side may be enough for certain neighborhoods (and some neighborhoods have negotiated to get theirs down to once a week as they have generally clean streets), but not enough for others where homeowners and neighbors don't take care of the streets around them.

As I noted earlier in this thread contact your Councilmember regarding ASP reductions. It's my understanding that there is some kind of a complicated formula used to determine ASP reductions/eliminations. It will give your Councilmember something useful to do. ;-)

Old 08-01-2019, 11:55 PM

275 posts, read 72,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
If you feel that street sweeper is not adequate, then submit a Street Sweeping Complaint. Street sweepers do not run on an exact time schedule, hence the 90 minutes. I've witnessed mine coming way after ASP.

Then image if cars never moved for ASP, cars would sit for weeks, months, years! Although people have cars, some folks still never drive. My stepfather as an example, is retired hardly ever drives anymore. Literally just gets up to move his car some days. YES, he is that guy with his car covered in snow til May!

Most of those areas mentioned are also prone to flooding.. If folks moved their cars, drains wouldn't be clogged and water would be able to flow.

ASP is a part of living in NYC. Move ya car, and pay them meters. Break on Sunday!
I donít think this is true because cars do not sit for months and weeks in the communities that do not have alternate side parking.

Iím very familiar with Mill Basin and parts of Marine Park and I can tell you as a driver that it is much easier to find parking in these areas than Flatbush, Crown Heights and Bed Stuy.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You do realize all of Manhattan including the wealthy UES have ASP rules. Areas of Staten Island, Queens and elsewhere that do not are largely totally residential and or were perhaps so rural/suburban when ASP was created no one bothered.

ASP serves two purposes, it promotes flow of traffic by forcing people to give up their parking spots at least twice a week (yeah I know, but still), and allows cleaning of streets in densely populated areas like all of Manhattan and other places.

If you don't think DSNY is doing a good job with street sweeping for your area make a phone call. Or go on line and file a complaint.

This being said DSNY is supposed to return and sweep again if first pass didn't do a great job; but they are up against all sorts of enemies.

First and foremost drivers having been embolden by lazy NYPD, PEA and interfering politicians don't move their rides. People park and don't bother move their vehicle, or sit in them and tell the sweeper to go pound salt. City council leaned on DSNY to stop placing those green stickers on windows of rides that weren't moved because it "inconvenienced" drivers, and marred their ride.
Except people do not give up their parking spot. Are you a driver? I am. And it’s a known fact that people keep their cars parked and do not leave (outside of alternate parking times) because of the hassle associated with alternate side parking.

And when alternate side parking occurs most people just double park and get right back into their parking spot.

So no I do not see the logic here.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
when I first moved here 30 years ago, it had already been changed to the 2 days a week, the other tenants said it was 4.
then a few years later it was changed from thursday - friday
changed to wednesday - friday

2 days is enough here and they do come in the whole neighborhood.

and I agree, it does keep the people from park hogging....

i use my car for work, so it is not an issue for me.

and yes, it used to be from 8am-11am, years ago

now it is 8:30am-10am
I disagree people still hog parking with alternate side parking. All they do is double park their car and take back their spot. I do not see parking spots being bogged in areas that do not have alternate side parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City