U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 12:06 AM

275 posts, read 73,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
As much as I hate moving my car, ASP regulations are ultimately something I support for the following reasons:

1) The streets in my area are often way too dirty and residents aren't cleaning them as they could/should. Until residents can start to take care of the streets on their blocks, the ASP regulations are necessary, IMO. Note, if the streets remain clean for a certain time period as observed by the sanitation department, there is an application process to decrease the number of times you have to move your car for ASP . . . some neighborhoods I've been to only have it once a week, but their streets are noticeably clean!

2) Without ASP, far too many people would NOT move their cars ever, and parking would be even worse than it already is. Forcing people to move their cars as opened up and continues to open up numerous parking spots on my family's street and surrounding blocks, which I am thankful for. Many of the people who own cars are retirees or just wouldn't be driving their car during the week much as they take mass transit to and from work.
1.) those trucks do not clean anything.

2.) like I said before cars do not even hig parking spaces in any of the communities where alternate side exist.

For example since I live in Midwood if ieave NY to go travel I usually park my car on my friends block in Mill Basin and get to enjoy my vacation knowing I donít have bother my old parents into moving my vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Try living in a city that not only has no ASP but no city street cleaning at all (Philly). ASP in NYC is a fact of life and better than nothing.
Ok? Iím very familiar with Philly actually.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHome buyer View Post
People donít even realize that it is illegal to double park on the other side of the street during alternate side parking times.

Alternate side also causes heavy traffic mess in certain areas.

Once a week on each side is enough but that would cut millions to city revenue ($45-60 for each car that does not move, and $125 for each car that does not move back on time plus all the late fees and towing fees)
Clearly itís not enforced! I will admit that in Midwood cars usually do not double park

But thatís not the case for 90% of Brooklyn and Harlem.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:25 AM

909 posts, read 562,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
Clearly itís not enforced! I will admit that in Midwood cars usually do not double park

But thatís not the case for 90% of Brooklyn and Harlem.
Midwood isn't that dense though. There's lots of 2/3 story houses, so probably less total cars around. Most of Brooklyn and Harlem has a much higher population density, so people NEED to double park (well not really, they don't need to have a car at all in Harlem and much of Brooklyn) since there are so many cars around.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:45 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 22 hours ago)

11,955 posts, read 6,391,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
1.) those trucks do not clean anything.

2.) like I said before cars do not even hig parking spaces in any of the communities where alternate side exist.

For example since I live in Midwood if ieave NY to go travel I usually park my car on my friends block in Mill Basin and get to enjoy my vacation knowing I donít have bother my old parents into moving my vehicle.
1) Yes, they do. There is suction action with the trucks. I doubt you've seen them in action if you believe they aren't cleaning anything.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:58 AM

706 posts, read 1,184,888 times
I don’t get how NYPD traffic unit tickets cars that haven’t moved. They aren’t alongside the sweepers so do the sanitation workers notify them of an unmoved car?

There aren’t PEOs walking alongside residential streets writing ticket. I think they come around in their cars after receiving a complaint about an unmoved car from sanitation. There has to be some form of proof that you were indeed illegally parked, correct?

Last edited by Midwesterns45; 08-02-2019 at 05:18 AM..

Old 08-02-2019, 05:36 AM

8,498 posts, read 20,447,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
I don’t get how NYPD traffic unit tickets cars that haven’t moved. They aren’t alongside the sweepers so do the sanitation workers notify them of an unmoved car?

There aren’t PEOs walking alongside residential streets writing ticket. I think they come around in their cars after receiving a complaint about an unmoved car from sanitation. There has to be some form of proof that you were indeed illegally parked, correct?
In my neighborhood there is usually a swarm of traffic officers during the alt side parking hours. They follow the exact same route as the sweepers and go by numerous times during the hour and a half.. They don't have to be called because a swarm has been assigned to the sector.

I am sure there are traffic units that do nothing else but but move from sector to sector all day with the sweepers issuing alt side infraction tickets.

They have it down to a science. I have seen them swoop through issuing tickets before the sweepers come through and then swoop through again a half hour after the sweepers have left the area issuing tickets to people who try to sneak back in before the time is up. Most people who do that have the sense to sit in their cars until the exact time but there is always an idiot who locks their car and walks away at 5 minutes before time is up.

Last edited by bluedog2; 08-02-2019 at 05:48 AM..

Old 08-02-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
1) Yes, they do. There is suction action with the trucks. I doubt you've seen them in action if you believe they aren't cleaning anything.
I was in Harlem yesterday driving directly behind one.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
In my neighborhood there is usually a swarm of traffic officers during the alt side parking hours. They follow the exact same route as the sweepers and go by numerous times during the hour and a half.. They don't have to be called because a swarm has been assigned to the sector.

I am sure there are traffic units that do nothing else but but move from sector to sector all day with the sweepers issuing alt side infraction tickets.

They have it down to a science. I have seen them swoop through issuing tickets before the sweepers come through and then swoop through again a half hour after the sweepers have left the area issuing tickets to people who try to sneak back in before the time is up. Most people who do that have the sense to sit in their cars until the exact time but there is always an idiot who locks their car and walks away at 5 minutes before time is up.
I always leave 5 minutes before and have done that for years with no tickets.

Also that is pathetic and typical scamming if it’s true. I believe there should be a grace period of ten minutes after ALT parking starts and before it ends.

On my block alternative side parking starts at 11:30. I got to my car at 11:32 and was issued a ticket. I think that’s BS. Just one of the silly things that make NYC a stressful place to live.

The fact that there is science to it is pretty pathetic.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:58 AM

I also think that itís silly that people really have the nerve to defend this stuff because of NYC revenue. So to make the city revenue we have to knickle and dime people?

I rather higher taxes and congestion pricing over People getting ticketed to death over BS.

Mind you I donít get tickets often and the few that I got were pretty pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City