U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 01:38 PM

250 posts, read 70,610 times

Advertisements

Letís discuss. How come? I have not seen the benefits of a sweeper machine driving around the block once out of a 90 minute no parking regulation.

Just seems like another attack on the poor, working class. I wonít say middle class since many middle class areas do not have alternate side parking (Mill Basin, Marine Park, many areas in Queens/Staten Island etc).

Letís discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 02:22 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,344,323 times
If you feel that street sweeper is not adequate, then submit a Street Sweeping Complaint. Street sweepers do not run on an exact time schedule, hence the 90 minutes. I've witnessed mine coming way after ASP.

Then image if cars never moved for ASP, cars would sit for weeks, months, years! Although people have cars, some folks still never drive. My stepfather as an example, is retired hardly ever drives anymore. Literally just gets up to move his car some days. YES, he is that guy with his car covered in snow til May!

Most of those areas mentioned are also prone to flooding.. If folks moved their cars, drains wouldn't be clogged and water would be able to flow.

ASP is a part of living in NYC. Move ya car, and pay them meters. Break on Sunday!

Old 07-30-2019, 03:09 PM

21,003 posts, read 13,922,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
Letís discuss. How come? I have not seen the benefits of a sweeper machine driving around the block once out of a 90 minute no parking regulation.

Just seems like another attack on the poor, working class. I wonít say middle class since many middle class areas do not have alternate side parking (Mill Basin, Marine Park, many areas in Queens/Staten Island etc).

Letís discuss.
You do realize all of Manhattan including the wealthy UES have ASP rules. Areas of Staten Island, Queens and elsewhere that do not are largely totally residential and or were perhaps so rural/suburban when ASP was created no one bothered.

ASP serves two purposes, it promotes flow of traffic by forcing people to give up their parking spots at least twice a week (yeah I know, but still), and allows cleaning of streets in densely populated areas like all of Manhattan and other places.

If you don't think DSNY is doing a good job with street sweeping for your area make a phone call. Or go on line and file a complaint.

This being said DSNY is supposed to return and sweep again if first pass didn't do a great job; but they are up against all sorts of enemies.

First and foremost drivers having been embolden by lazy NYPD, PEA and interfering politicians don't move their rides. People park and don't bother move their vehicle, or sit in them and tell the sweeper to go pound salt. City council leaned on DSNY to stop placing those green stickers on windows of rides that weren't moved because it "inconvenienced" drivers, and marred their ride.

Old 07-30-2019, 04:06 PM

2,191 posts, read 2,007,164 times
Years ago it was 3 hours. Be grateful it's now 90 minutes.

Old 07-30-2019, 04:25 PM

6,442 posts, read 5,934,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Wow I didn't even know it changed to 90 minutes. Still thought it was 3 hours

Old 07-30-2019, 04:36 PM

595 posts, read 569,972 times
Call 311....Not much to discuss, they come around 98% of the time during the schedule day and time frame.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:07 PM

21,003 posts, read 13,922,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
True, true!

And yet people still won't move their ride and or complain. Sitting in your ride for 90 minutes is a piece of **** compared to camping out for three hours.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:10 PM

147 posts, read 135,344 times
They should just sweep twice a week, one day for left one for right.. 4 times a week is unnecessary if u ask me.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:26 PM

8,495 posts, read 20,435,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycman9 View Post
They should just sweep twice a week, one day for left one for right.. 4 times a week is unnecessary if u ask me.
My neighborhood...and many others... already has 2 day only ASP. Some have 4 day, some have 2 day ,some have none. The decision re how many days is determined by a cleanlissness rating that the sanitation dept keeps . Also , it is possible to get the number of days reduced from 4 to 2 or from 2 to none. You have to ask your community board and if enough people request it and they think it might be sufficient they can ask the sanitation dept.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:59 PM

15,633 posts, read 25,114,917 times
when I first moved here 30 years ago, it had already been changed to the 2 days a week, the other tenants said it was 4.
then a few years later it was changed from thursday - friday
changed to wednesday - friday

2 days is enough here and they do come in the whole neighborhood.

and I agree, it does keep the people from park hogging....

i use my car for work, so it is not an issue for me.

and yes, it used to be from 8am-11am, years ago

now it is 8:30am-10am
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City