U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 09:15 AM
Status: "Put the Wet Stuff on the Red stuff" (set 18 days ago)

1,459 posts, read 469,978 times

Advertisements

The folks on bikes in the main do not follow traffic rules.

Ever see those food delivery guys blow through red lights?

CityBike renters not wearing helmets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 11:48 AM

472 posts, read 579,010 times
I was a bike messenger almost 9 years and i can write a book on all the mishaps and close calls i had..in midtown..the yellow cabs were the biggest threat..yes i had doors open up on me by dumm-ass people who dont even look before they fling open doors to make sure its safe.
I saw the video on the lady getting squashed like a pinapple..and the way she rode out into the street/traffic without even slowing down for the just in case anything was coming..and damm sure it was..a 4 ton dump truck..wow!..she wouldnt had got killed if she only used common-sense. The kids i see today run lights,stop signs, ride the wrong way..against traffic-holding on to the back trucks with 1 hand..chinese food delivery guys on bikes are stupid too,and mexicans..I gave up doing bike messenger because of the perils i went through..I drive now..im protected..I ride motorcycles sometimes and people still do the same ol-****!..

Old 08-05-2019, 11:53 AM

30,306 posts, read 67,532,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
I doored a bike messenger on West 37th street once. He was riding with a can of beer in hand and he went sprawling out on the street along with his beer. We went at it a minute then we resolved the conflict like gentlemen and I bought him a new beer to continue on with his journey.
You're my hero!

Old 08-06-2019, 12:59 PM

21,611 posts, read 28,559,946 times
How horrible.

NYC should get rid of cars.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:27 PM

13,092 posts, read 8,869,561 times
I used to bike in the city, I just don't do it because it's too risky and not worth it. You either get into it with some entitled a-hole or trying to avoid bad Uber that don't even speak English. Yellow cabs are not the problem anymore they don't drive around like they used to. They only hangout where the dumb tourists that don't Uber are.

Entitled pedestrians are probably the worst because many don't care about bike lanes especially those pushing strollers think there are no other vehicles besides cars. Then you have just too many swarms of tourists that often show up in batches crossing like ducks you can't avoid.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:58 PM

106 posts, read 33,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
How horrible.

NYC should get rid of cars.
The city would go bankrupt in less then a month if cars were ever banned.

Old Yesterday, 07:05 AM

472 posts, read 579,010 times
that poor girl on her first day of work as a bike-messenger,and that tourist who got ran over by a truck after someone opening a door on her..all avoidable accidents because drivers who drive in a hurry for WHAT!!?? to catch a light..you has to slow-down and give a bicyclist space..and beep the horn to make them aware that you are there.
I drive and I did that to a bike-rider and the first thing he did was give me the-finger,so at the light i pulled next to him and rolled my window down,and I explained to him that i only wanted to warn you that im there because you was about to swerve into my car, I know how it is rideing a bike-plus i got hit a few times.I presented myself in a civil manner,and he apoligized and we both shook-hands.

Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM

214 posts, read 47,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deli167st View Post
that poor girl on her first day of work as a bike-messenger,and that tourist who got ran over by a truck after someone opening a door on her..all avoidable accidents because drivers who drive in a hurry for WHAT!!?? to catch a light..you has to slow-down and give a bicyclist space..and beep the horn to make them aware that you are there.
I drive and I did that to a bike-rider and the first thing he did was give me the-finger,so at the light i pulled next to him and rolled my window down,and I explained to him that i only wanted to warn you that im there because you was about to swerve into my car, I know how it is rideing a bike-plus i got hit a few times.I presented myself in a civil manner,and he apoligized and we both shook-hands.
You're lucky he didn't smash your mirrors with his bike chain. Nobody road rages like a bicyclist.

Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM

13,092 posts, read 8,869,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
The city would go bankrupt in less then a month if cars were ever banned.
I think the city should ban non-essential government workers from abusing parking privileges. They should be forced to take the subways. The workers are contributing to the traffic problems because some get parking privileges and they are the ones driving into the city everyday instead of taking mass transit. There are many workers such as those that work for EPA, housing authority, etc using government owned cars to drive home and use it as their personal cars. They should be left at the jobsite and only to be used on the job and returned.

Old Today, 10:08 AM

590 posts, read 410,090 times
Meanwhile, cyclist fatally hits pedestrian and runs.
https://gothamist.com/2019/08/08/cyc...pedestrian.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City