Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 05:43 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Agreed! Why do people so entitled in public spaces?!
Entitled to a seat when they paid for it? Are these comments serious? You two are seriously saying that the stabbing perp should have just been left alone to enjoy his seat and the second one for his bag?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 06:36 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Entitled to a seat when they paid for it? Are these comments serious? You two are seriously saying that the stabbing perp should have just been left alone to enjoy his seat and the second one for his bag?
I really hope they are just having some brain lapses.

I can sit if I would like to and I have no idea why the person attacking and his stuff are more entitled to the seats than anyone else. That's like saying leave the homeless person who brings in five carts of stuff, sleeps across the entire bench, stinks out the entire car---yeah, who cares if you paid---stand and go to another car! Don't complain! What?

Forget about the fact that some people have disabilities (whether or not you can see them), might not feel well, might have just finished working a double or their second job, might have an hour and a half commute, etc. I work long days and two jobs sometimes and I have joint problems---I'll sit if I want to.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:47 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Of course a person who sees someone taking up additional seats should fe aware that they are not law enforcement.

It’s not right, no.

But it’s not like the average person has security details with them on the subway.

I once saw on the subway a man who was reading his book. He got annoyed by some loud kids and told them to shut up. The kid pulled out a knife and threatened to stab him. The kids friend managed to calm him down.

Unless you’re an officer with a badge you cannot tell people what to do, even if they are wrong. Any long term rider of the subway knows how to avoid confrontation. A seat or noise is not worth your life. No point in being dead and right.

If you want transportation space under your control get a car.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:04 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Of course a person who sees someone taking up additional seats should fe aware that they are not law enforcement.

It’s not right, no.

But it’s not like the average person has security details with them on the subway.

I once saw on the subway a man who was reading his book. He got annoyed by some loud kids and told them to shut up. The kid pulled out a knife and threatened to stab him. The kids friend managed to calm him down.

Unless you’re an officer with a badge you cannot tell people what to do, even if they are wrong. Any long term rider of the subway knows how to avoid confrontation. A seat or noise is not worth your life. No point in being dead and right.

If you want transportation space under your control get a car.
Telling obnoxious kids to shut up is a FAR different scenario than asking someone to move their bag so you can sit. If you can’t understand the difference, that’s really weird.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:31 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,212,637 times
The worst are the people who don't use headphones. Everyone gets to listen to their crappy taste in music, or whatever annoying game they are playing.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:10 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
This stuff can happen anytime in the subways, there are too many violatile folks. Say the wrong word or not even saying "excuse me" can set somebody off in public. That's why it is best to avoid being too close or even attempt to sit next to a spreader. Just not worth the problem even if you win a fight you didn't win any prize so why not let these losers win their own ego prize.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:21 AM

5,107 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Telling obnoxious kids to shut up is a FAR different scenario than asking someone to move their bag so you can sit. If you can’t understand the difference, that’s really weird.

why are you still in doubt, for so long, ms henna...

Old 08-01-2019, 08:40 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Telling a random person to do something is somewhat risky as people are extremely emotional nowadays.

When i took the subway (take a bus to work now) i would just stand unless the train was empty or there was a seat with the adjacent seat empty.

If you see a person with their bags or taking up two/three seats just rest assure that the person has no manners and is not people trained. Just avoid.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:43 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This stuff can happen anytime in the subways, there are too many violatile folks. Say the wrong word or not even saying "excuse me" can set somebody off in public. That's why it is best to avoid being too close or even attempt to sit next to a spreader. Just not worth the problem even if you win a fight you didn't win any prize so why not let these losers win their own ego prize.
I’m not saying confront every affront. My point is that two posters have basically said that the people who complained are entitled and lazy. Regardless of whether a confrontation is initiated, the “complainant” in cases like this is absolutely correct.

It’s mindboggling to me the extent to which NY’ers will go to defend deviant behavior.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-01-2019, 08:45 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
why are you still in doubt, for so long, ms henna...
In doubt about what, why nywriterdude would not be able to understand the difference between these two things or in doubt about whether asking someone to move their bag is a definite no no and should be avoided 100% of the time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: