U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 08:46 AM

8,824 posts, read 7,172,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
When i took the subway (take a bus to work now) i would just stand unless the train was empty or there was a seat with the adjacent seat empty.
Whenever I find myself on the subway (rare), I always stand as well, even in empty cars. This is a tactical consideration for me. It ensures quick access to my firearm should the need arise. It affords me a better vantage point for observing possible threats as soon as they arise. It is just the smart thing to do.

But that’s my decision. If I want to sit I am “entitled” to do so under most circumstances, and some degenerate who chooses to break the law does not enjoy priority over me as some posters have suggested.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 08:49 AM

3,554 posts, read 3,388,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
In doubt about what, why nywriterdude would not be able to understand the difference between these two things or in doubt about whether asking someone to move their bag is a definite no no and should be avoided 100% of the time?
his "weid" twists on common sense/value

Old 08-01-2019, 08:53 AM

2,103 posts, read 618,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
time to have business class subway wagons designated so for those of us who are willing to pay a little extra can be spared from the "deplorables" in the mass...
Unfortunately since they have not rolled this out in Japan or Europe I have little hope of this being available for regular local commuter lines in the USA.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Whenever I find myself on the subway (rare), I always stand as well, even in empty cars. This is a tactical consideration for me. It ensures quick access to my firearm should the need arise. It affords me a better vantage point for observing possible threats as soon as they arise. It is just the smart thing to do.

But that’s my decision. If I want to sit I am “entitled” to do so under most circumstances, and some degenerate who chooses to break the law does not enjoy priority over me as some posters have suggested.
A fire arm in closed crowded environment is more of a risk than an advantage. What if the opponent is able to wrestle it from you and wreak havoc or you miss, the bullet ricochets off the largely steel environment and kills another passenger? Not the ideal self-defense weapon in urban CQC situations...

Old 08-01-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Entitled to a seat when they paid for it? Are these comments serious? You two are seriously saying that the stabbing perp should have just been left alone to enjoy his seat and the second one for his bag?
Let's roll down this scenario for fun....

He may be entitled to a seat but that does not entitle him to take someone's life

And actually - Since there are no reservations, obviously even with LIRR or Metro North (or even Amtrak) you are not GUARANTEED a seat...So this would not be a viable legal defense in court.

Let's take it back to 1912....A poor immigrant child is killed for stealing an apple from a street vendor. The street vendor may have been entitled to defend his produce, but would a jury acquit and would common (sense) law view it favorably? Probably not.

Now if an adult came and held the street vendor at gunpoint and said "Give me all your apples" and the vendor responded by throwing a knife at his jugular instantly killing him....Naturally he responded in kind with equivalent potential lethal force.

A more interesting scenario would be - The man in the seat displays a knife and says "Get the **** out of here" that could potentially turn it into "aggravated assault" but nevertheless it's not self-defense. You are expected to leave the situation when possible, and there is no reason why sitting down is worth spilling blood over by any logic, unless you are some kind of agent who has a time bomb implanted into your a** that will detonate if you don't sit down every 3 hours.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:18 AM

159 posts, read 63,083 times
Too bad the perp and the victim aren't City Data NYC forum posters. Then they'd both be jessss fine thank ya very much! with standing for the duration of their rides, and none of this would have happened.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:41 AM

3,554 posts, read 3,388,232 times
Quote:

are you the guy who always sleeps with one eye open...just for "observing possible threats as soon as they arise"?

Old 08-01-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
A fire arm in closed crowded environment is more of a risk than an advantage. What if the opponent is able to wrestle it from you and wreak havoc or you miss, the bullet ricochets off the largely steel environment and kills another passenger? Not the ideal self-defense weapon in urban CQC situations...
Shooting at a threat in public is never ideal, but sometimes it needs to be done.

All one can do is train for various situations, stressors, environments, etc. and then hope that training produces positive results when it happens.

In this case, I have extensively trained point shooting in confined spaces, along with other CQC combat tactics.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-01-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Let's roll down this scenario for fun....

He may be entitled to a seat but that does not entitle him to take someone's life

And actually - Since there are no reservations, obviously even with LIRR or Metro North (or even Amtrak) you are not GUARANTEED a seat...So this would not be a viable legal defense in court.

Let's take it back to 1912....A poor immigrant child is killed for stealing an apple from a street vendor. The street vendor may have been entitled to defend his produce, but would a jury acquit and would common (sense) law view it favorably? Probably not.

Now if an adult came and held the street vendor at gunpoint and said "Give me all your apples" and the vendor responded by throwing a knife at his jugular instantly killing him....Naturally he responded in kind with equivalent potential lethal force.

A more interesting scenario would be - The man in the seat displays a knife and says "Get the **** out of here" that could potentially turn it into "aggravated assault" but nevertheless it's not self-defense. You are expected to leave the situation when possible, and there is no reason why sitting down is worth spilling blood over by any logic, unless you are some kind of agent who has a time bomb implanted into your a** that will detonate if you don't sit down every 3 hours.
My comments are being twisted now. I don't need an explanation. My points are all very clear here:

Quote:
I’m not saying confront every affront. My point is that two posters have basically said that the people who complained are entitled and lazy. Regardless of whether a confrontation is initiated, the “complainant” in cases like this is absolutely correct.

It’s mindboggling to me the extent to which NY’ers will go to defend deviant behavior.
We have two posters (maybe even more), in this thread who are basically saying that anyone who expects a seat is "entitled". One person called them "lazy".

I'm not talking about attacking people to get the seat I am "entitled" to. I'm addressing the mindset that a law-abiding rider is somehow wrong for expecting a seat when they have paid for it, at the "expense" of a rider improperly taking up more than one.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:52 PM

19,747 posts, read 34,861,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Telling a random person to do something is somewhat risky as people are extremely emotional nowadays.

When i took the subway (take a bus to work now) i would just stand unless the train was empty or there was a seat with the adjacent seat empty.

If you see a person with their bags or taking up two/three seats just rest assure that the person has no manners and is not people trained. Just avoid.
This

Why would I try to speak the voice of reason to somebody who clearly does not have the wherewithal to see that bags do not belong on subway seats...

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or