Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 08:24 AM

283 posts, read 233,801 times

Advertisements

Or in other NYC neighborhoods?

Once you get into the 130s it's still very old school Harlem. I don't see much signs at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 08:31 AM

325 posts, read 199,157 times
It’s still happening because Harlem is only 20 minutes from midtown so even when I was living there a lot of white people are moving in they even got a juice bar on Lenox between 138 and 139 . But yea that’s about it no major changes . The most gentrified part of Harlem is West Harlem for obvious reasons, the proximity to city college and not far from Columbia university . There’s newer restaurant and bars that look like something you’d see downtown , but even the western part is still kinda old school hood and is majority Hispanic and black still . Idk if it slowing down or not , let’s not jinx it lol

Old 06-27-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan2queens View Post
It’s still happening because Harlem is only 20 minutes from midtown so even when I was living there a lot of white people are moving in they even got a juice bar on Lenox between 138 and 139 . But yea that’s about it no major changes . The most gentrified part of Harlem is West Harlem for obvious reasons, the proximity to city college and not far from Columbia university . There’s newer restaurant and bars that look like something you’d see downtown , but even the western part is still kinda old school hood and is majority Hispanic and black still . Idk if it slowing down or not , let’s not jinx it lol
Right. it's gotta be at least 98% black and hispanic. i don't see that changing any time soon.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:09 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
Or in other NYC neighborhoods?

Once you get into the 130s it's still very old school Harlem. I don't see much signs at all.
Depends on where exactly. If we're talking about West Harlem, I'd say DEFINITELY. The amount of whites, Asians and non-black and Hispanics that I see now has skyrocketed in just the last few years, and even up into 145th. Pretty mixed now.... Harlem is gentrifying overall on a block-by-block basis, with East Harlem still having a long ways to go, but the rents sure as hell aren't letting up. All of the new buildings in East Harlem coming online... One bedrooms inching very close to 3k a month. When you consider all of the quality of life issues, that price is quite high. West Harlem has more amenities and better housing overall in terms of things to purchase. East Harlem will take longer with all of the housing projects and quality of life issues, but even there you can see small differences. Still VERY hood, but you see more whites walking in the hood. lol

Old 06-27-2019, 09:12 AM

It will eventually happen though unless the homeowners stand up and don't sell. Neighborhoods with low ownership tend to get bulldozed over so as "Downtown" continues to become more expensive, people will keep flocking to Harlem.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Depends on where exactly. If we're talking about West Harlem, I'd say DEFINITELY. The amount of whites, Asians and non-black and Hispanics that I see now has skyrocketed in just the last few years, and even up into 145th. Pretty mixed now.... Harlem is gentrifying overall on a block-by-block basis, with East Harlem still having a long ways to go, but the rents sure as hell aren't letting up. All of the new buildings in East Harlem coming online... One bedrooms inching very close to 3k a month. When you consider all of the quality of life issues, that price is quite high. West Harlem has more amenities and better housing overall in terms of things to purchase. East Harlem will take longer with all of the housing projects and quality of life issues, but even there you can see small differences. Still VERY hood, but you see more whites walking in the hood. lol
i went to west harlem to visit a friend (in the 130s) in 2014 and recently went again in 2019. looks exactly the same, which surprised me

Old 06-27-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
i went to west harlem to visit a friend (in the 130s) in 2014 and recently went again in 2019. looks exactly the same, which surprised me
Oh no... There isn't really a change in the housing stock, particularly from the outside anyway. All of those nice brownstones on the side streets though... The stigma of living north of 125th is slowly dying... People are buying those and gutting them on the inside, so you walk past and every looks the same but isn't quite the same. Now as I said, quality of life issues still remain on a block by block basis (Frederick Douglass Blvd aka 8th Avenue (e.g. north of 125th) is still as sketchy and hood as hell in parts lol), but even I have been walking around more up there. I was a kid when you didn't go past 86th street. I remember all of the boarded up houses in Harlem. Crack epidemic. It was a real mess up there. How far things have come. There is a great Italian place I order from actually, but it is quite west and closer to Columbia. When the weather cools a bit I'm going to go up there more often. Too hot to be dealing with those damn hills, but the food scene is really growing up there.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Oh no... There isn't really a change in the housing stock, particularly from the outside anyway. All of those nice brownstones on the side streets though... The stigma of living north of 125th is slowly dying... People are buying those and gutting them on the inside, so you walk past and every looks the same but isn't quite the same. Now as I said, quality of life issues still remain on a block by block basis (Frederick Douglass Blvd aka 8th Avenue (e.g. north of 125th) is still as sketchy and hood as hell in parts lol), but even I have been walking around more up there. I was a kid when you didn't go past 86th street. I remember all of the boarded up houses in Harlem. Crack epidemic. It was a real mess up there. How far things have come. There is a great Italian place I order from actually, but it is quite west and closer to Columbia. When the weather cools a bit I'm going to go up there more often. Too hot to be dealing with those damn hills, but the food scene is really growing up there.
Yeah I have no doubt renovations are happening and it's very different from how it was in the 80s, 90s, early 2000s.. but i'm saying that in the last few years there really hasn't been significant change, at least nothing like what people are claiming.

It's the same exact people, same families, same type of restaurants more or less.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah I have no doubt renovations are happening and it's very different from how it was in the 80s, 90s, early 2000s.. but i'm saying that in the last few years there really hasn't been significant change, at least nothing like what people are claiming.

It's the same exact people, same families, same type of restaurants more or less.
I guess that depends on where you are. As I said, I see the change more so on the side streets. The main avenues are a different animal. The change is definitely clear and pronounced south of 125th though. You have to remember that you have the PJs in the 130s and a huge amount at that. They aren't going anywhere. lol

Old 06-27-2019, 09:52 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Along with the REAL economy, gentrification of Harlem has STOPPED. IMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City