U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 02:43 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,899,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
My girlfriend makes over $100,000 and she is freaking out because she may be receiving a pay cut of about $15,000 or so. I know she was making over $100,000, but that pay cut would definitely kill her with the way she spends money and her high rent, which is over $2,000 a month now.
You're not going to hear much sympathy from many people. I'm finally at the level I can make 6 figures, but even I know better than to live beyond my means. It's been said most people are 2 checks away from not being able to pay rent. She's gonna have to start bringing in lunch and not go shopping. Poor baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 04:20 PM

245 posts, read 111,768 times
Why are they not talking about Jamaica queens or the Bronx neighborhoods. I imagine rent there should be more affordable still.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:08 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,441,665 times
It is 40x the rent in annual salary. So just look up the prices somewhere and multiple by 40

Old 08-02-2019, 10:25 PM

31 posts, read 39,634 times
you can thank all the GREEDY Landlords and Building owners Pushing out regular working people the ALL-MIGHTY $ is more important Forcing people to live in the Subways and Streets !

Old 08-02-2019, 11:08 PM

1,964 posts, read 584,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
Why are they not talking about Jamaica queens or the Bronx neighborhoods. I imagine rent there should be more affordable still.
Not really, the average salary there does not match what the market rate rents

It's not 2005 anymore, the savings that you get from living in the hood aren't very large

Old Yesterday, 01:40 AM

72,322 posts, read 72,269,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw927 View Post
you can thank all the GREEDY Landlords and Building owners Pushing out regular working people the ALL-MIGHTY $ is more important Forcing people to live in the Subways and Streets !
nonsense .... perhaps you should not earn market wages for what you do for a living .

a landlord is a landlord to make money and earn whatever the market allows them to , it is not a charity business ... that is the city's job if they want less then market rents

Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM

19,741 posts, read 34,861,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nonsense .... perhaps you should not earn market wages for what you do for a living .

a landlord is a landlord to make money and earn whatever the market allows them to , it is not a charity business ... that is the city's job if they want less then market rents
Aren't you happy to be finally getting out of the business tho? I'm just saying

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM

72,322 posts, read 72,269,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Aren't you happy to be finally getting out of the business tho? I'm just saying
i sure am .... still waiting for some paper work to finalize . i had hoped we would have been done by now

Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM

8,183 posts, read 5,358,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw927 View Post
A landlord is business owner. Do you expect a business owner not to maximize his/her profit??

If you don't like paying rent then save up for up for a down payment and buy a reasonable apt or home. Own your apt or home.

Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM

19,741 posts, read 34,861,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
A landlord is business owner. Do you expect a business owner not to maximize his/her profit??

If you don't like paying rent then save up for up for a down payment and buy a reasonable apt or home. Own your apt or home.
Everybody has a choice, this is true

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or