U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 04:59 PM

1,048 posts, read 513,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
I seriously hate the dumping I see all over church Ave and Flatbush Ave and even Fulton and Utica.

DSNY should bring in a fleet of trucks to pick up dumping trash up and down main roads every night at let say 11 pm.

They should also add more street sweepers or bring in folks doing community service.

Enforce the law on people who litter.

Yesterday in Bed Stuy I watched a girl throw her KFC cup on the floor even though she had 3 trash cans next to her. Smh!

There is a chronic dumping site next to two parks that I know of. DSNY passes by both atleast twice a week and never attempted to pick up any of the garbage.

I organized a community cleanup for one of the site last year and the parks department has been a bit more proactive with keeping it clean.

The other site I had to track down a phone number and make two phone calls. After passing by that particular heap for 3 weeks, it was gone in less than 4hrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post
Truth is that this liberal cesspool of a city doesn't give two sh*ts about sanitation. We have an equipment and personnel shortage. And it's not like the rest of us are milking overtime left and right. They actually cut back on overtime. They cut back on a lot of things tbh. Results are evident. The fleet is dated as are the majority of facilities. We do the best we can with what we are provided, which isn't much. Thankless job for sure. Add in the fact that the city is full of dirty animals. Littering and dumping is normalized. Wish I could do a better job but it's hard to give af when it's quite evident nobody around you does.

So true. Thank you for your service. Our sanitation guys on out route are the best!

But people are nasty!

Old 08-03-2019, 06:53 PM

35 posts, read 19,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
There is a chronic dumping site next to two parks that I know of. DSNY passes by both atleast twice a week and never attempted to pick up any of the garbage.

I organized a community cleanup for one of the site last year and the parks department has been a bit more proactive with keeping it clean.

The other site I had to track down a phone number and make two phone calls. After passing by that particular heap for 3 weeks, it was gone in less than 4hrs.
In some places literally every corner is a chronic dumping site. That’s the problem. The garbage never ends. It’s possible the garbage you saw was picked up and then someone dumped more after that. As a sanman I see it all the time.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriefOneNYC View Post
In some places literally every corner is a chronic dumping site. Thatís the problem. The garbage never ends. Itís possible the garbage you saw was picked up and then someone dumped more after that. As a sanman I see it all the time.
The city needs to start a 'keep our community clean' drive to get people engaged in seeing it as their duty to dispose of garbabge properly. I have heard people say they are keeping DSNY employed by littering/dmping garbage.

I try to have a conversation with them to change their minds when I see littering in progress in our neighborhood.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:53 PM

276 posts, read 74,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
We already have sanition enforcement (similar to traffic agents) and sanitation police (full police).

Sanitation supervisors also can give out summonses.

The city is just too big and we are short staffed to keep up.

Lastly, this is NYC. Of you start giving out tickets properly people will starts claiming these agents and cops are racist and it would stop immediately. The dirtiest neighborhoods are also mostly minority neighborhoods. But you can't say that out loud
Iíve only seen those summon guys at night time when itís overnight alternate side parking.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:55 PM

276 posts, read 74,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
Where do you work? Do you walk by your co-workers desk and start doing their work for them? You have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Routes are written the way they are for a reason. It's the most efficient way. If trucks were randomly picking stuff up it would be a disaster. Bunch of genius people in the thread. LOL

The filth in the city is a cultural thing. If people weren't slobs things would be a hell of alot better.
If I were mayor I would not care or respond to complaints. I would strongly enforce garbage laws.

Iím a black guy myself so no I do not see the classism or racism in telling people to not litter.

For example east Flatbush is mostly Caribbean. Go to the islands and try to dump garbage like that and people will come for you.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
Where do you work? Do you walk by your co-workers desk and start doing their work for them? You have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Routes are written the way they are for a reason. It's the most efficient way. If trucks were randomly picking stuff up it would be a disaster. Bunch of genius people in the thread. LOL

The filth in the city is a cultural thing. If people weren't slobs things would be a hell of alot better.
People are slobs but some guys are lazy on their route.

There are available trucks and crew. Last month I made a phone call (not to 311) and a truck with 4 employees showed up within 4 hrs to remove the garbage that had been sitting for over 2 weeks.

This block only has residential housing on one side so it is an even easier route.

When I organized our community clean up a truck was dispatched with a crew, outside of pick up days, to collect our garbage.

Let us not pretend as if sanitation guys don't have down time. At my job we work the full 8 hrs and try our best not to leave extra work for others. Infact we sometimes proactively work on issues that will be encountered later. We work as a team to get the job done. U will get chewed out by your fellow coworkers for being selfish.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:41 PM

31 posts, read 19,662 times
We have down time for sure. It's called contractual breaks that our union fought for. I advise you to look into the history of our union. Mlk got assassinated because he was looking out for our best interests. So cry me a river in regards to our downtime. I break my back for my downtime. Sorry to hear about you having to work a full 8hrs. Point me in the direction of your air conditioned cubicle and I'll send my regards.

Our summons divisions (enforcement and San police) are severely understaffed, more so than any other unit. Even if they weren't, you can only write so many tickets as they're racist. In regards to the parks statement we don't touch parks property. As far as 311 complaints go the dept takes them very seriously so I advise you to call if there's is a garbage related problem in your neighborhood. We'll show up, get it done, take one of our breaks (lol) come back and it'll look exactly as it did before. Lots of 311s get thrown in the recycling bin as they are known trouble spots and crews stop by on the regular. You wouldn't know we were there though because as mentioned before we leave and the same spot gets dumped at again. It's almost like they know when we show up and that we'll show up to begin with...

Funny, one of you mentioned the Caribbean being clean. Caribbean blacks are the most filthy animals there are. Ooopppss! There goes my racism! Best to check my white privilege! Jokes aside, the areas where people rent and/or get free housing are the dirtiest areas. It's almost like ownership is directly correlated to cleanliness. Bring on more gentrification! It's easier on my back! I don't think race has anything to due with filth (see trailer trash rednecks that leech elsewhere in the country) but in nyc the dirtiest areas happen to be non-white. Should I check my privilege again?

Old 08-04-2019, 08:07 PM

474 posts, read 537,972 times
My man if you on the job number 1 stop talking about the job on here. Number 2 cut the racist nonsense cause you don’t act like that in the garage around your black co workers so don’t do it behind the computer screen.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:26 PM

31 posts, read 19,662 times
OK champ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or