U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 06:23 AM

2,599 posts, read 833,636 times

Advertisements

I was never hip enough (or rich enough ) to shop there, but it will forever remind me of Jack on Will and Grace (1.0).

https://nyti.ms/2KiN1I7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:06 AM

1,382 posts, read 666,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I was never hip enough (or rich enough ) to shop there, but it will forever remind me of Jack on Will and Grace (1.0).

That never stopped me, I love that store, the 8th floor was my favorite, now I stick to online even though it's not far from my office.

Old Today, 07:36 AM

548 posts, read 820,018 times
Never bought anything from the main Barney's but Barney's Warehouse often has some slammin' deals, hopefully those aren't going away.

Old Today, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
That never stopped me, I love that store, the 8th floor was my favorite, now I stick to online even though it's not far from my office.

Old Today, 08:48 AM

1,621 posts, read 974,099 times
Crazy rent is crazy for a declining retail store.

Quote:
The Madison Avenue location, though, is now the immediate cause of retailer’s troubles. Barneys does not own its real estate, unlike some retailers. (Saks, for example, owns many of its stores, including its famous Fifth Avenue location.) Last August, an arbiter ruled that the annual rent at the Madison Avenue store could be raised to $30 million from $16 million.

Old Today, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Crazy rent is crazy for a declining retail store.
Thatís insane.

Old Today, 10:07 AM

772 posts, read 550,191 times
The article states that they are keeping the Madison Ave store open for now. They have moved locations before - I'm old enough to remember - do you think they will move again?

Old Today, 11:00 AM

3,556 posts, read 3,390,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post

Thanks to mayor de blasio......a quart of the city retails stores will likely close by the time he rolls out of city hall on his big fat belly......

Old Today, 11:10 AM

1,621 posts, read 974,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Thanks to mayor de blasio......a quart of the city retails stores will likely close by the time he rolls out of city hall on his big fat belly......
What are those other 3/4 of stores doing right to survive?

The office of the mayor should NOT be subsidizing retails stores if they are failing to evolve and compete.

Old Today, 11:55 AM

5,691 posts, read 2,965,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
What are those other 3/4 of stores doing right to survive?

The office of the mayor should NOT be subsidizing retails stores if they are failing to evolve and compete.
How do those other stores survive? Just from the sheer fact that there are 8 million people in the city that need to buy things everyday. You are never going to get every store to go out of business because many people still need to buy things. Just because most manage to survive doesn't mean the communist NYC (and now NYS) government isn't making life more difficult for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City