Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 08:37 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK — Barneys New York is filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, the latest retailer to buckle as shoppers move online and real estate costs soar.

The iconic clothier founded almost a century ago will keep the doors open at its 10-story Madison Avenue store, but its secured $75 million in financing to pay employees and vendors as it seeks a buyer.

Stores in Chicago, Las Vegas and Seattle will close. Twelve concept and warehouse locations will also close and the company said Tuesday it's reviewing other store leases. Stores in Beverly Hills, California, San Francisco and in Boston will remain open, as well as two warehouse locations in New York and California. It will also have an online presence.

Barneys' landlord in Manhattan doubled the rent of its flagship store to nearly $30 million earlier this year.

"Like many in our industry, Barneys New York's financial position has been dramatically impacted by the challenging retail environment and rent structures that are excessively high relative to market demand," said CEO Daniella Vitale.

In its bankruptcy filing in the Southern District of New York, Barneys lists more than $100 million in debt, and more than $100 million in assets.

Retailers are fighting to maintain sales and they're not getting much relief on leases, creating a financial vice that is squeezing even iconic brands like Barneys New York.

The number of retail stores closed in the U.S. this year has already surpassed the total number in 2018, according to Coresight Research, which expects 12,000 will be shuttered in 2019. Coresight said 7,567 retail stores have closed this year, compared with 5,864 in all of 2018.

The escalating trade war between China and the U.S. has intensified that pressure, leaving clothing companies scrambling to find new routes and suppliers. Over the past year, the retail sector has consistently bled jobs.

Barneys' roots date back to 1923 when Barney Pressman pawned his wife's engagement ring and used the cash to open a 500 square foot men's discount clothing store on Seventh Ave. and 17th St. in Manhattan.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncn...mpression=true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 08:58 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
How does the new landlord expect to get $30 million in rent from somebody else?

Old 08-06-2019, 09:25 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
It's not just the rents, they've fallen out of favor with millennials.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:51 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
How does the new landlord expect to get $30 million in rent from somebody else?
It's a 10 floor building. I am sure WeWork will coming knocking. Or maybe they will convert to office/residential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's not just the rents, they've fallen out of favor with millennials.
Barneys didn't reinvent themselves. Everything you can buy at Barney's you can buy on a website. You also have high-end designer website in which you can purchase the expensive items. Go to their website. I feel like they saturated themselves with items.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:09 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Barneys didn't reinvent themselves. Everything you can buy at Barney's you can buy on a website. You also have high-end designer website in which you can purchase the expensive items. Go to their website. I feel like they saturated themselves with items.
Of course they reinvented themselves. They were a tiny little rinky-dink place when they started out.

I wish my father were alive. He was always amused at the way Barney's came up in the world.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:06 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Of course they reinvented themselves. They were a tiny little rinky-dink place when they started out.

I wish my father were alive. He was always amused at the way Barney's came up in the world.
This is true, back in the day (70s) Barney's was a place on 7th Avenue and 18th Street where my working class dad went to buy a nice suit but it wasn't that high fashion or extremely expensive.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:23 PM

137 posts, read 138,326 times
Real sad to see it go ... remember waiting for the annual warehouse sale to get a nice suit for interviewing/new job.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:43 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
I haven't shopped at Barney's in years. They did carry some "Made in Italy" Italian brands that I purchase, such as Jeckerson and Luciano Barbera, but you can find both brands in small boutiques or just go to their site and order.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:34 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I haven't shopped at Barney's in years. They did carry some "Made in Italy" Italian brands that I purchase, such as Jeckerson and Luciano Barbera, but you can find both brands in small boutiques or just go to their site and order.
That in a nutshell is large part of Barney's woes. To be fair it is hitting all retail including high end, but places like Barney's that are "one trick ponies", so to speak are hurting more.

Barney's was the place to find new and or unique designers or things that weren't found elsewhere. Now those designers are increasingly cutting out the middle man, and going either going online themselves, or doing small shops of their own.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:31 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
This is true, back in the day (70s) Barney's was a place on 7th Avenue and 18th Street where my working class dad went to buy a nice suit but it wasn't that high fashion or extremely expensive.
I was told that Barney's began as a push-cart, before they ever had a store. Just not sure if that's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: