Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 10:29 AM

123 posts, read 96,625 times

Advertisements

My brother has a little cabin in the woods in Bucks County, PA. Might fit the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 10:38 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Beware "nice little stream" running by the house. I turned one down a cute house in Bethlehem because I imagined the "nice little stream" turning to a raging torrent in a heavy rain.
Yea, I’ve taken that into consideration. It’s a good 10 min hike from where I’d build, but that is a valid point.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Just make sure to check what you can and cannot do on those plots.

Also, some plots have utilities ready to go to them---I would go for that in case you change your mind in the future and want to put something more permanent---it would make your life easier.

A regret was a beautifully restored farmhouse on 10 acres atop, really ATOP the Shawangunk Mountains in Craagsmoor (artist community) on 10 acres. Not buying (Manhattanophile husband again) was a mistake. It was offered to us at 95K. Placed on the Times Real estate at 95K it sold, no realtor in hours.

Downside was: it was a half hour drive from EVERYTHING, a movie, a grocery story, a NYTimes pickup, a liquor store. Owner's partner said he spent 3 months there in winter and never heard the sound of a human voice.

Upside would have been, it's a million dollar property now, 15 years later. I am an IDIOT.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:42 AM

157 posts, read 87,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Well right off the bat I can say this. Heading to the beach almost invariably means more people while heading "upstate" or to any rural/woodland area typically means less people.

That's my observation at least and probably why you're noticing the trend.
It has more to do with ocean beach areas just being more expensive. Most recreational buyers are priced out.

This is where Mastic Beach and Shirley come through. It is the only area on the east coast with close proximity to an ocean beach where you still find property on the cheap. Talking less than $150k for a cottage. I just throw the fishing poles in the truck and drive it right out onto the dunes 24/7. Plenty of space all to myself.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:59 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I can name a ton of towns in NJ where one can get houses on the water between $150,00 and $200,000.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-22-2019, 01:47 PM

157 posts, read 87,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I can name a ton of towns in NJ where one can get houses on the water between $150,00 and $200,000.
But that's in an urban setting. Very different. Out here I got deer and wild turkeys on my property.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:25 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
You don’t know the jersey shore well if you think it’s “urban”. Lol

I hunt deer about 15 minutes from my mother’s shore house which is across the street from the local marina and 200’ from the beach. I don’t hunt turkey in NJ, but it I wanted to, they are in the same woods, along with pheasant.

And I only drive 15 minutes because that is where it is legal to shoot them. Within town, obviously you can’t.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-22-2019, 02:32 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke of Mastic View Post
It has more to do with ocean beach areas just being more expensive. Most recreational buyers are priced out.

This is where Mastic Beach and Shirley come through. It is the only area on the east coast with close proximity to an ocean beach where you still find property on the cheap. Talking less than $150k for a cottage. I just throw the fishing poles in the truck and drive it right out onto the dunes 24/7. Plenty of space all to myself.
Disagree because there are many expensive areas upstate in the Hudson Valley.

We also had a thread about this before but there are beach people and river/lake people. I think there’s a shift (back) towards river/mountain vacation homes- possibly because of What Airborne said. Also, you’re not going to have anywhere near the level of seclusion on an east coast beach as you would hiking in the Catskills. The types of areas mentioned in this thread mean that one can literally own acres of secluded forest land with no one for miles.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:40 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke of Mastic View Post
But that's in an urban setting. Very different. Out here I got deer and wild turkeys on my property.
LMAO, how is the Jersey shore "Urban"? Atlantic City, maybe. That covers a couple of miles.

Never mind, I see the anesthesiologist already answered you.

Although, that brings to mind the Pine Barrens as an alternative for the OP. Little more than 2 hours, but not much.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:52 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LMAO, how is the Jersey shore "Urban"? Atlantic City, maybe. That covers a couple of miles.

Never mind, I see the anesthesiologist already answered you.

Although, that brings to mind the Pine Barrens as an alternative for the OP. Little more than 2 hours, but not much.
I’ll check it out. Ty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City