Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 11:00 PM

101 posts, read 90,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDrop149 View Post
Idk. I'm black and I still wouldn't let night catch me in certain Italian parts of staten island or brooklyn. I also feel unwelcome in orthodox Jewish neighborhoods and had bad experiences in Indian neighborhoods in Jackson heights.
Other races were always welcome in blk neighborhoods like Harlem. White ppl thought they'd be attacked but that was far from the truth. Growing up I always had cool white teachers, vendors and business owners who were like family.
Now that there just be some good ole FAKE NEWS my homeboy! In the 70s and 80s white people were hunted like dogs, quite often by black and Puerto Rican gangs. In EVERY neighborhood. Damn, my boyz and I would routinely get jumped just going to Flushing by lovely POC. That changed quick, however, but for other reasons.

Also in the 90s we'd often get pulled over by the cops if we were driving in a black neighborhood. I gotta say homie, I wasn't very welcomed in East New York circa 1991 picking up my Trinidad homie to hang out back in Queens. Some scary days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 07:54 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I know it's hard to just up and move, if you're serious about it. That's why I think for some it's just a lot of big talk and an excuse to complain. It's like an empty threat. They're not going anywhere but they will continue to complain. And loudly. To anyone that will listen.
I have been itching to move forever but it's hard when your other half has such a difficult time getting a job elsewhere. I am not moving anywhere both of us cannot find work---I will have no problem but he will. We were *this* close to relocating out of state a few months ago but the job situation did not work out.

Quote:
If you have a family then it is definitely not easy to just pack it up and move to another state, especially when its difficult to even save a significant amount of money here. Also many city and state workers who make up a bulk of the middle class here have too much invested in thier jobs to leave (me) Usually when they retire and get that pension they do leave. So I'll be here complaining for another 5 yrs lol
It's harder to move the older your family gets. Usually, the elderly parent becomes increasingly difficult and cannot make anything easier for you. I know a lot of people who won't leave because they have to help out with an elderly parent who is stubborn as anything. I wouldn't care---my thinking is more, "If you want my help, then you'll have to follow me," because I need to work and support my family.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:55 AM

325 posts, read 198,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussiaRussiaRussia View Post
It wasn't racism. Racism is when someone is systematically being oppressed or denied their civil rights, toots.

NYC was tribal back then, for betta or for worse. I would encourage all of you snowflakes to watch the movie "The Warriors." That was indeed NYC at it's core. Blacks fought other blacks. Whites fought other whites. They all fought Asians. Etc, etc, etc.

No one woke up in the morning in 1985 saying "I think I'm gonna go kill some black people today because I HATE black people."
How would you know what people wake up and think , anyway I don’t go by that “ racism means systematic oppression “ .people who say that definition usually mean “ not liking you for race is okay , as long as you aren’t being denied your civil rights “ . But for what’s it worth I don’t think Nyc was and can ever be as bad as the south, it’s much too segregated down there and racism is deeply embedded in those states . There’s definitley some racist people out here that don’t like others based on their race , like how you don’t like Asians ... but no where near as bad

Old 08-21-2019, 08:00 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
born and raised in Philly...came here for college in the late 90s, got a job after that, and I'm still here today. I cannot leave until I retire for the most part and I can't wait to do so when I get the chance.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:39 AM

48 posts, read 38,791 times
I remember about a year ago someone asking me at the bar of a italian restaurant here in manhattan " do you go to brooklyn to get real authentic BLACK FOOD?? HAHAHAHAHA

Old 08-21-2019, 08:47 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImLivinLaVidaBroka View Post
I remember about a year ago someone asking me at the bar of a italian restaurant here in manhattan " do you go to brooklyn to get real authentic BLACK FOOD?? HAHAHAHAHA
Oh yeah. And what did you say??

Old 08-21-2019, 08:47 AM

325 posts, read 198,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImLivinLaVidaBroka View Post
Lmfaooooooooo whattt I’m dead , they are so ignorant hahaha . they probably was thinking of soul food , but dam that’s funnyyyyyyy

Old 08-21-2019, 08:58 AM

48 posts, read 38,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Oh yeah. And what did you say??

hahahahaha... I WAS ROTFL

Old 08-21-2019, 11:48 AM

172 posts, read 589,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussiaRussiaRussia View Post
Now that there just be some good ole FAKE NEWS my homeboy! In the 70s and 80s white people were hunted like dogs, quite often by black and Puerto Rican gangs. In EVERY neighborhood. Damn, my boyz and I would routinely get jumped just going to Flushing by lovely POC. That changed quick, however, but for other reasons.

Also in the 90s we'd often get pulled over by the cops if we were driving in a black neighborhood. I gotta say homie, I wasn't very welcomed in East New York circa 1991 picking up my Trinidad homie to hang out back in Queens. Some scary days.
I hear you bro but I'm sure those same gangs put more black and brown bodies in the hospital and mourge than white. I'm sure they hunted whoever was around and kicked anybody's ass. Everytime I've gotten jumped it was by Ricans but I don't think it was racial. I just wasnt from thier block and I just happened to be in the wrong place/wrong time. I believe nyc is very equal opportunity when it comes to a$$ whippings

Old 08-21-2019, 12:15 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
I just happened to be in the wrong place/wrong time. I believe nyc is very equal opportunity when it comes to a$$ whippings
lol! And that is the quote of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City