Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 10:00 PM

220 posts, read 154,240 times

Advertisements

I would like to visit NYC sometime, and would like to hear general thoughts on the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 10:32 PM

46 posts, read 30,506 times
I originally came to NYC for undergrad. I stayed for graduate school. Then I found a job in NYC.

I love NYC and do not see myself ever moving out of NYC.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:15 PM

101 posts, read 90,151 times
I got here by birth in the early 70s, circa Astoria.

I live here right now because my parents are aging and need my help but will relocate once this part of my life passes.

I hate it. Partly because I'm an old school NY'er whose expiration date has expired. I loved growing up in NYC however. It was the best (80s 90s early 00s). After 9/11, when the towers went down, not only did the sklyline die, so did this city's soul. Authentic NY'ers moved out in droves (for various reasons). We were replaced by Chinese immigrants (mostly illegal), 3rd world aliens, white hipsters from the Midwest, and billionaires who use the city to hide their money from foreign governments.

If you're still young, sure, come to NYC and check it out, but it's nowhere to raise a family, especially looking forward 20 years from now.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:08 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
My father was born in NYC and lived here until age 18. As a child I came always to visit my NYC grandparents especially since my family moved around a lot and I partially grew up overseas. So NYC always felt like my home base in the USA. I finally came to live here to do my graduate degree and since then it has become my real home base. It is a very convenient place to live with lots of amenities for local residents.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:11 AM

507 posts, read 689,137 times
the positive and negetive aspects..I was born here,went to school till college..had well over a dozen jobs..the rents are high..there are high car insurance and parking rates..its too over populated now, the drug addicts, mental health clowns..lack of respect..to tell that I no longer like it anymore,and will work 5 more years till my retirement..then im GONE!!.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:24 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
Just be prepare of rude New Yorkers, then you would be just fine.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:09 PM

220 posts, read 154,240 times
Wow it sounds like NYC's prime has really come and gone.... Wasn't expecting that. Where is everyone from NYC moving to?

Old 08-18-2019, 03:20 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Opinion:

New York City is over rated.

Brooklyn and Queens offer an amazing array of things to do especially for the budget minded.
You get more bang for your buck compared to the tourist traps of Manhattan.
From food to electronics to entertainment the outer boroughs are soaring in popularity.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:25 PM

101 posts, read 90,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrca View Post
Wow it sounds like NYC's prime has really come and gone.... Wasn't expecting that. Where is everyone from NYC moving to?
A huge number of Italian and Jewish natives have moved to Florida, mainly Boca Raton. In fact, you will hear the old school real NYC accent in Boca before you will hear it in Manhattan these days.

Many, many Puerto Ricans have gone back to the island over the years (although many have come back probably since the storm). A lot of Dominicans have also left.

Many AA's have moved down south to places like Georgia and the Carolinas.

Then your general white folk have moved many places. Las Vegas, Texas, Florida, Carolinas, Pennsylvania. They tend to be older so they are looking to save money on taxes. A lot of Gen X cops who are now retiring are also headed to Florida for the same reason. Many have also headed way upstate where it's cheaper.

I'm headed to Southern Cali later this week to scope out places for the near future. I need a place with no humidity. I'm tired of it.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:42 PM

700 posts, read 422,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwitting Landlord View Post
I originally came to NYC for undergrad. I stayed for graduate school. Then I found a job in NYC.

I love NYC and do not see myself ever moving out of NYC.
Where are you originally from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City