Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 03:58 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I agree with Bugsy. Most of these places have poor quality pizza. The cheese is garbage, etc. I only get pizza from select places, run by Italians from Italy, this way I'm almost certain to get the real deal, with imported ingredients like cheese from Italy. The difference in quality is noticeable.

lmao
It's because the ingredients come from wholesalers. I agree with that. The places that make their own sauces, doughs, fresh are better. But that's less the staff's fault but the owners. Not the fact they are cooked by Albanians or Mexicans. In fact, go the best Pizzerias that makes their stuff from scratch I bet it's IAlbanianss and Mexicans in the kitchen and working the oven too. Thats my argumenta to Bugsy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 04:06 AM

Just as an observation. As we age there is a tendency to remember everything was better in the past and everything new is crap. Pair that with, in my case, food has become less tasty as I have aged. Or rather I m looking to eat healthier and pizza is too carb rich. So perhaps in my case I no longer search pizza out. I know the Pizzerias as a kid I walked a few extra blocks to get and they still follow the steps they always did still to this day. Maybe the decline is all in our heads or declining taste buds ?

Old 08-23-2019, 06:18 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan2queens View Post
Justinos On 10th Avenue and 57th street in Hell’s kitchen is also pretty good . Haven’t been there much lately . Also Stanton street pizza and Rosario’s in the lower east side are very good from my memory . And omg Highline pizza which on 28th And 11th in Chelsea is sooo good have to go by there soon to get some . There’s likely much others . But these are neighborhoods I’m in often . In dead center midtown like 7th and 8th Avenue you’ll likely have very crap pizza because it’s touristy so it’ll either be 99 cent pizza and etc .
Rosario's is good

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-23-2019, 07:30 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I hope you're right. Because I love pizza. I'll even eat the frozen kind; I'm not fussy. That's how much I love pizza.
Look at videos of NYers in the 80s and 90s. Everybody was much thinner than today, even the NYPD wasn't so fat standing around. This is not a diet discussion but if you study all the bad ingredients that we are using in our food chain from gmo, pesticides, preservatives, and over sanitizing of foods is leading to people with bigger guts.

Pizzas are supposed to have yeasts and that gives the dough texture and flavor. It takes time for the yeast to work but these new pizza places are not giving doughs the good amount of yeast and time to rise. The dough is too airy and flavorless.

Same with other breads like Indian Naan, if I don't taste the yeast and the texture doesn't come out right it's garbage and Indian people would know it's not authentic.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:45 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
What are you on about?

Pizza in various forms has been a part of many European cultures for ages. Italian, French, and many Eastern/Mediterranean cultures have some form of pizza.

Of course we're not talking about American pizza, which largely is an invention of Italian-Americans (like spaghetti and meat balls), that is doughy crust heaped with tons of cheese and God only knows what else on a sauce base.

Carbs aren't your enemy, nor is are the toppings neither. But everything in moderation.

Pizza is one of the original "fast foods" of Europe. Much like tacos to Mexicans, and meat pies to the British, it is a portable food that travels well.

Many today eat pizza seven or six times a week, sometimes more than once a day. More than that they have two or more slices at a go. Everywhere you look there's nothing but discarded pizza boxes. In trash cans, out for recycling, left on building stoops, etc.... You cannot eat all that carbs, take no exercise and expect not to have health issues.

French and Italian diets are full of carbs from various breads eaten at breakfast right on down to pasta at dinner. But on average French and Italians are slimmer than Americans, now why is that? Yes, you have fat French and Italians, but as a nation neither country has reached the epidemic obesity level of USA.

In fact Mediterranean diet has been proven to be quite healthy, and promotes long life.

Nice loaf of French or Italian bread, some good cheese, a bit of nice salami, and good wine, you've got a happy lunch or dinner.
Dude, what are you on about? Your whole post was pointless. I stated "Pizza is not that healthy" and you went on to make that point. "Pizza is one of the original "fast foods" of Europe" "Of course we're not talking about American pizza, which largely is an invention of Italian-Americans (like spaghetti and meat balls), that is doughy crust heaped with tons of cheese and God only knows what else on a sauce base"

Old 08-23-2019, 08:15 AM

179 posts, read 109,409 times
Stopped into Tipsy Tomato on Liberty Ave just west of where Woodhaven Blvd changes into Cross Bay Blvd.

Decor is modern and they have a liquor license but for me the pizza was like a trip back to the great pizza in Brooklyn when I was a kid.

Just fantastic ----I only had regular cheese slices --- that's all you need.

Worth a stop if your headed to Rockaway Beach ---or even if you're not.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:09 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
I always see lines of cars by Original Pizza by Georgetown in Brooklyn. This thread makes me miss normal pizza. Be thankful you guys can eat it.

*shakes fist* Damn you celiac disease!

Old 08-24-2019, 04:48 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I am a grownass man and if I want to take a slice out for dinner and dancing, then I will do what I damn well please
Some live to eat while others eat to live.
If some one were to call me fat. I would correct them and just say I'm fluffy.......................hahahaha.

Old 08-24-2019, 05:35 AM

Remember the episode of Seinfeld where George and Jerry went back to the pizzeria that they used to go to as teenagers. That's the one George bought the arcade game from. Nostalgia made them remember the pizzeria with fond memories. When they went back they realized the place has not changed but the pizza and it's service had been crappy.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:48 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Just as an observation. As we age there is a tendency to remember everything was better in the past and everything new is crap. Pair that with, in my case, food has become less tasty as I have aged. Or rather I m looking to eat healthier and pizza is too carb rich. So perhaps in my case I no longer search pizza out. I know the Pizzerias as a kid I walked a few extra blocks to get and they still follow the steps they always did still to this day. Maybe the decline is all in our heads or declining taste buds ?
Nah, have been eating Italian foods since was "this big", you can taste the good from bad if you're used to the real deal.

Just as with lasagna, baked ziti, or anything else there is a world of difference between something done right, and bottom shelf pasta soaked in weak sauce with some off the wall cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City