Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 11:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times

Advertisements

I have gotten wary of my elevators since this report and discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 10:03 PM

7 posts, read 2,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyc212 View Post
The man was trying to stop the door from closing and he shoved his way through the doors as it was in the process of closing. Not that I am victim blaming because CLEARLY the elevator malfunctioned but I'll bet dollars to donuts that this guy was on his cell phone and not paying attention to where he was before he realized he didn't exit in time. 2 people walked out ahead of him. I see this in my building every day. People are completely unaware of their surroundings.

So people - PAY ATTENTION. Don't ever try to pry open closing doors whether it's the elevator or the subway, etc. These are large heavy mechanical objects.
You couldn’t be more incorrect. No phone, no door prying, no late exit. Just pure bad luck, and a malfunctioning elevator. Glad you weren’t victim blaming.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:32 AM

16,017 posts, read 6,766,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I have gotten wary of my elevators since this report and discussion.

Opinion:

The fact that you are now wary of elevators is like money in the bank.
People should pay attention to entering or exiting elevators as they do crossing the streets.
An elevator is no different than a car. It is a piece of moving machinery capable of killing.
Be alert at all times and by all means never ever dismount a malfunctioning elevator.
Press the emergency button ,the alarm button,the emergency phone and use your cell phone
to call for help and wait for professional help to arrive.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:55 AM

123 posts, read 96,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328 Chauncey St View Post
You couldn’t be more incorrect. No phone, no door prying, no late exit. Just pure bad luck, and a malfunctioning elevator. Glad you weren’t victim blaming.
I'm going on the NY Times article, and witnesses in the building. So I'm not wrong - if this isn't what happened, blame bad reporting, not me.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:43 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,071,619 times
Quote:
I'm going on the NY Times article, and witnesses in the building. So I'm not wrong - if this isn't what happened, blame bad reporting, not me.
That's not what it said. If that's what you THINK it said, that's your problem, not bad reporting!!

Re-read the article and then go watch the video and you will see there was no cell phone, no delay, no nothing that you supposedly read in the NY Times. All the Times said that you somehow misinterpreted is the following (below my post in italics).

But the problem is that you are jumping to conclusions and inventing things that didn't happen. Again, re-read and ALSO watch the video. The video shows him attempting to exit the elevator immediately after the 2nd person, who was not injured, exited. Immediately after. Like, no (invented in your mind) delay while he's browsing his phone.

The elevator door closed on him because it was malfunctioning -- not because he was distracted. It closed on him about one second, or half a second, after person #2 exited.

The video showed the elevator stopping shortly before 8:30 a.m. on the first floor and two people stepping out, said the employee, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to reporters.

As the door started to close and the elevator descended, Mr. Waisbren put out his hand to try to stop the door from closing. But the elevator kept going down — and that’s when he tried to rush through the door and got caught.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:48 AM

6,669 posts, read 5,982,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
That's not what it said. If that's what you THINK it said, that's your problem, not bad reporting!!

Re-read the article and then go watch the video and you will see there was no cell phone, no delay, no nothing that you supposedly read in the NY Times. All the Times said that you somehow misinterpreted is the following (below my post in italics).

But the problem is that you are jumping to conclusions and inventing things that didn't happen. Again, re-read and ALSO watch the video. The video shows him attempting to exit the elevator immediately after the 2nd person, who was not injured, exited. Immediately after. Like, no (invented in your mind) delay while he's browsing his phone.

The elevator door closed on him because it was malfunctioning -- not because he was distracted. It closed on him about one second, or half a second, after person #2 exited.

The video showed the elevator stopping shortly before 8:30 a.m. on the first floor and two people stepping out, said the employee, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to reporters.

As the door started to close and the elevator descended, Mr. Waisbren put out his hand to try to stop the door from closing. But the elevator kept going down — and that’s when he tried to rush through the door and got caught.

The bold is scary because anyone would've done that. I mean, people do this even on the subway - which is far more dangerous!

Old 08-26-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:

The witnesses say the man stuck his hand out to stop the doors. THAT'S what I said happened. I never said definitively that he was on his phone - I said that is what I witness every day and people do not pay attention.

So, learn to read. I was stating one fact from the article - and then gave a warning that people should pay very close attention and not stop doors. This does not make me wrong - it's just a PSA to be careful, for god's sake.

Do you enjoy being the post police?

Old 08-26-2019, 10:59 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,071,619 times
Quote:

Do you enjoy being the post police?
Only when self-important know it alls like you think they are right about everything and stomp their feet and refuse to acknowledge what is right in front of their face. At that point, being the post police feels pretty satisfying.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:41 AM

6,669 posts, read 5,982,443 times
The elevator must've descended slowly into the shaft. Or did it fall? I don't see how his entire body came out of the elevator with one arm out.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Only when self-important know it alls like you think they are right about everything and stomp their feet and refuse to acknowledge what is right in front of their face. At that point, being the post police feels pretty satisfying.
I wasn't trying to be "right" about anything. You've got issues, dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City