Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 07:15 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,816,904 times

Advertisements

Curious.

It's interesting what renovations can do for a studio, particularly glass wall for the sleeping area. But square footage is irreplaceable. The trade usually is square footage for location.

Anyone here regret purchasing a studio instead of a 1 bedroom in Manhattan? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 08:36 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
I'd regret "buying" anything that comes with a $1000, $2000, or yes even a $3000 MONTHLY 'maintenance' bill

Old 08-27-2019, 05:41 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Many years ago a friend of mine had trouble selling a studio in Queens. (She was upgrading to a one bedroom in Brooklyn.) So I think one needs to think carefully before buying a studio anywhere in NYC.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:19 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
The OP is talking about Manhattan, not Queens. Manhattan is popular with single, young people, the type that likes studios so I would think there will always be a market for studios.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:12 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
No, definitely not. I am a solo person in pre-retirement, traveling all the time, owning 3 studios in 3 different cities. In my experience, number of studios on the market is always lower than the number of people looking for them (in some places, eg, central San Francisco, studios for sale are almost impossible to come by, you can pretty much just rent them). I constantly get inquiries from realtors who have interested studio buyers, although I am not even selling anything.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:18 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
No, definitely not. I am a solo person in pre-retirement, traveling all the time, owning 3 studios in 3 different cities. In my experience, number of studios on the market is always lower than the number of people looking for them (in some places, eg, central San Francisco, studios for sale are almost impossible to come by, you can pretty much just rent them). I constantly get inquiries from realtors who have interested studio buyers, although I am not even selling anything.
That's mainly because of the price point. I am considering a studio, but am also open to purchasing a one or two bedroom (really leaning more towards a one or two bedroom and use the second bedroom as an office/guest room). Whatever it is, it will be gut renovated to my tastes. So far I have seen a few VERY nice studios, even in Manhattan overlooking the Hudson. Price point wasn't too bad either, but there are other things to consider. After a down payment, closing costs and renovation, I'd like to keep my mortgage under $2,000 a month, which is doable with a nice downpayment.

For a studio, I could probably renovate the entire place for 20-30k with high-end finishes, assuming there isn't significant demo (moving plumbing, knocking down walls, etc.)

Old 08-27-2019, 07:35 AM

804 posts, read 545,449 times
Look man when it comes to living in NYC never rent and always buy. Can not do it by yourself then find somebody to work with. If you have to rent then rent below your means. Meaning take rentals located in areas that is not so hot

Old 08-27-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
Look man when it comes to living in NYC never rent and always buy. Can not do it by yourself then find somebody to work with. If you have to rent then rent below your means. Meaning take rentals located in areas that is not so hot
Or just have extra income. My extra income covers most of my rent, so I will take my salary and save it towards buying a place. Ideally looking to put away $1,500 a month or more.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:44 AM

1,486 posts, read 989,013 times
Buying a studio is a bad....bad...bad idea. However you can make it work depending on the layout.

Placing an opaque walls can work wonders. See below for ideas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uefWbOUsvW0

Old 08-27-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Buying a studio is a bad....bad...bad idea. However you can make it work depending on the layout.

Placing an opaque walls can work wonders. See below for ideas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uefWbOUsvW0
It is not a bad bad bad idea, especially if it is for one person. If you are paying less than you would be renting, having a studio is a no brainer. You can pay down the mortgage in the meantime until you are ready to upgrade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City