Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 06:44 AM

157 posts, read 87,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yeah man

Sutphin Blvd gets really crummy north of Linden Blvd. And stays crummy pretty much to Jamaica Avenue. It's not the best area.
I used to chill over on Baisley back in the day as some members of my crew lived down there. Never thought of it as that bad. Maybe the west side of the pond was always worse though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 07:53 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinNY View Post
So you dont want to count the shootings in the hood that happens every year since then?
Shootings in the hood often involve gang members, street level drug dealers, and certainly petty street criminals. They don’t represent everyone that lives in these areas.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:56 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Shootings in the hood often involve gang members, street level drug dealers, and certainly petty street criminals. They don’t represent everyone that lives in these areas.
There's no reason to explain anything to that poster, other than that they cannot afford to live somewhere more homogenous! Time to stop with the fake coddling on here.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-02-2019, 08:50 AM

8,331 posts, read 4,370,041 times
Quote:
There's no reason to explain anything to that poster, other than that they cannot afford to live somewhere more homogenous! Time to stop with the fake coddling on here.

Seventh, would you mind not using words that you heard somewhere, but you don't know what they mean? At least look it up in a dictionary. "Homogeneous" means uniform. and in case you don't know what uniform is either, it means evenly structured, blended. A marshmallow is homogeneous --- a trail mix of peanuts/raisins/chocolate chips/wallnuts/various dried fruit is heterogeneous.

Homogeneous does not mean wealthy, does not mean of white race, does not mean European. A homogeneous neighborhood is one where most people are very similar. A ghetto can be, and in fact usually is, quite homogeneous. People who are fighting to exclude "gentrifiers" are in fact fighting to preserve homogeneity of a neighborhood - if a different demographic starts moving into a neighborhood, that would make a neighborhood LESS homogeneous, not more.

High-crime neigborhoods in NYC are homogeneous enough: they are homogeneously low-income, and homogeneously brown/black.

The opposite of homogeneous is heterogeneous. The opposite of homogeneous is NOT Afroamerican/Latino low-income. A NYC neighborhood in which 90% of people make less than $60k per year is in fact VERY homogeneous. A NYC neighborhood in which 90% of people are Afroamerican and Latino is also VERY homogeneous. A neighborhood is homogeneous wherever you have a huge majority of people of the SAME KIND (and that can be any kind).

If you mean to tell people who are white or middle/higher income to stay out of HOMOGENEOUSLY non-white or low income neighborhoods, then please state that openly, don't hide behind "scholarly" words that you are using incorrectly.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:53 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Seventh, would you mind not using words that you heard somewhere, but you don't know what they mean? At least look it up in a dictionary. "Homogeneous" means uniform. and in case you don't know what uniform is either, it means evenly structured, blended. A marshmallow is homogeneous --- a trail mix of peanuts/raisins/chocolate chips/wallnuts/various dried fruit is heterogeneous.

Homogeneous does not mean wealthy, does not mean of white race, does not mean European. A homogeneous neighborhood is one where most people are very similar. A ghetto can be, and in fact usually is, quite homogeneous. People who are fighting to exclude "gentrifiers" are in fact fighting to preserve homogeneity of a neighborhood - if a different demographic starts moving in a neighborhood, that would make a neighborhood LESS homogeneous, not more.

High-crime neigborhoods in NYC are homogeneus enough: they are homogeneously low-income, and homogeneously brown/black.

The opposite of homogeneous is heterogeneous. The opposite of homogeneous is NOT Afroamerican/Latino low-income. A NYC neighborhood in which 90% of people make less than $60k per year is in fact VERY homogeneous. A NYC neighborhood in which 90% of people are Afroamerican and Latino is also VERY homogeneous. A neighborhood is homogeneous wherever you have a huge majority of people of the SAME KIND (and that can be any kind).

If you mean to tell people who are white or middle/higher income to stay out of HOMOGENEOUSLY non-white or low income neighborhoods, then please state that openly, don't hide behind "scholarly" words that you are using incorrectly.
This is coming from a woman who bought in the Bronx? And constantly asked questions about safety? I just dont get it.

Why do people move to cities, and don't want to accept the good and the bad that comes with them?

Well I know the answer to that - it's because that they're so money-hungry that they think they can overcome their prejudices, and clearly they cannot!

This has nothing to do with race at all. It has to do with culture. When you live in a city, you are living among many different cultures. Many of these posts are people refusing to understand why things are the way they are and prefer to live in a bubble within NYC. It's transplant behavior, plain and simple. Don't even respond to me until you've taken every train in the Bronx.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-02-2019, 09:14 AM

8,331 posts, read 4,370,041 times
Quote:
This is coming from a woman who bought in the Bronx? And constantly asked questions about safety? I just dont get it. Why do people move to cities, and don't want to accept the good and the bad that comes with them? This has nothing to do with race at all. It has to do with culture. When you live in a city, you are living among many different cultures. Many of these posts are people refusing to understand why things are the way they are and prefer to live in a bubble within NYC. Don't even respond to me until you've taken every train in the Bronx.

At this point we are just discussing the word "homogeneous". Please don't use it if you don't know what it means. Please use correct words.

I enjoy living among all cultures, with the exception of any culture that idolizes crime and violence. I strongly support complete disappearance of that kind of "culture" from any place in the world, not just from NYC. I escaped from that type of "culture" when it was prevalent in a certain area of Europe.

Oh, I have to also add that I do not support a culture of theft. Like, theft of money that pople have earned by hard work, theft of taxpayer money. That now gives me a bigger concern than crime in connection with Parkchester living (Parkchester, the Bronx is indeed low-crime... but high maintenance costs that trickle down from the City's tax scheme do affect even Parkchester).

Last edited by elnrgby; 09-02-2019 at 09:35 AM..

Old 09-02-2019, 11:49 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,522,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
This is not the culture of the vast majority of African Americans
Perhaps not, but it is much more prevalent in AA communities than others.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:14 PM

81 posts, read 47,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and NY in general has alot of crimes being commited by 1st and 2nd gen Caribbean's , but it's often Thrown into "African-American" crime statistics, There are hardly any African Americans who live in New York city, most have moved to the south or the suburbs

If this was the time of the mob, I would not say Whites are committing crimes, i would say Italians or Irish were doing crimes, For New York City to be so diverse, the New York City Data forum is a racist place

Old 09-02-2019, 04:10 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,571,984 times
Quote:
And innocent African Americans are associated with the riffraff of the African American Community.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:21 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,571,984 times
Quote:
And innocent African Americans are associated with the riffraff of the African American Community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City