Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 09:53 AM

103 posts, read 91,511 times

Advertisements

Just got my email to schedule an appointment! This is another loooong shot for me, with an even higher log number than my other appointment: 4,4XX.

I don't actually have much hope, but it's fun to talk about. I mean, a washer/dryer in each unit? Be still my beating heart.

Who else is in the running for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 12:14 PM

6 posts, read 4,760 times
I do, log 450. First interview any tips?

Old 09-09-2019, 09:00 AM

Oh nice! That's a good log number!

They call it an "interview", but that's a really misleading term. All you really do is hand in your paperwork. My only advice is to make sure you have everything that they requested, and make sure everything is complete and correct. The whole thing takes only a few minutes.

Best of luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:44 AM

Thanks! What does log number mean? Also, provided my paperwork is on point, what are the chances of getting the apt? Pardon my questioning but I’m completely new to this proces.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:49 PM

Log number is the order your application will be reviewed.

So technically you are number 450 in line, but that doesn't really mean that 449 people will have to turn down the apartment before you get it. I'm not sure exactly what the chances are, but:

1) not everyone who gets a lower number will even show up for their appointment
2) not everyone who gets a lower number will be actually qualified for the apartment
3) not everyone who shows up and is qualified will accept the apartment.

I've gone through a bunch of other threads on this forum for housing lotteries, and it looks like people with log numbers around yours get apartments all the time. Even if you don't get it right now, you might get on a wait list to get an apartment if a spot opens up in the future.

You can ask the person you interview with what they think your chances are. They might have a better idea of how many people are actually ahead of you.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:39 PM

Last question: How long does it take to get decision and do they inform you if you get declined? Two questions actually. I appreciate your help and informed answers. Good luck with your application and all other endeavors.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:13 PM

So here's the bad news: it definitely takes a while. I think the official answer is that the process takes 2-10 months, but I think it's on the longer side of that range. Expect a lot of waiting.

I'm pretty sure they inform you if you don't get it. I've received rejections letters for the lotteries that I didn't show up to interviews for.

Hope that helps!

Old 09-27-2019, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 3,456 times
I'm in the running for this! Log 317, had my interview last week. Funny enough, only a month earlier I had an interview for ANOTHER lottery I was picked for - 128 Huron St in Greenpoint (my current neighborhood), Log 4084. Does having two concurrent lotteries help my chances at all (that'd be something!)?

Old 09-27-2019, 09:45 PM

Same thing here, got invited to another interview. We on streak! Tbh I don’t think it helps in any way, just more options.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:10 PM

4 posts, read 3,456 times
Wow that was fast! Any info on what the second interview is about? Are you meeting at the building itself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: