Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 09:30 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Just trying to prop up her property, that's all.

To prop it up for what exactly??? I am not selling it. It is a 415 sq ft studio in the Bronx, bought for practically nothing, worth practically nothing :-). It has appreciated about $30k in 11 years, which is about what I would have to pay in taxes when selling it (since I had rented it out for 10 years), so it has not appreciated at all (as I didn't expect it to). Renting it out for 10 years did return about 2/3 of its purchase price, but even all of that is irrelevant considering how low that price was. I'd be deeply in trouble if I depended on the sale of that thing to bring me any money, if I didn't have retirement funds on a completely different scale. Right now, it's useful as a crashpad when visiting NYC, while gradually finding out that I no longer in fact like NYC. It has saved me from making a real investment there and then finding out the place is not what I thought it was. It has served its purpose for me.

But I really think that the right people should know about Parkchester, that is the reason for "advertising" it. This person seems like the right person. The place does have some unique merits. The condo complex is cheap yet safe (something that I think is unique to Parkchester, in the context of NYC), and obviously if you are not white, you have an added advantage that neither is anyone else who lives there, to speak of. It is THE place in NYC if you are a solid person but are also poor and/or not white. I am neither of those (ie, neither poor, nor non-white), but I wanted a cheap/safe place for other reasons, not as the primary residence. This person is not entirely poor either if she earns 90k, but she is complaining that she is discriminated against - I am just pointing out that there is a simple way in which she can easily and even cheaply solve that problem of "discrimination" (whether that discrimination is only in her head or real). In fact there is an organization that promotes higher education of black people, and the interests of black professionals, right in the Parkchester condo complex - what better a Harvard grad obsessed with black identity could ever want?

Last edited by elnrgby; 09-08-2019 at 09:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 10:19 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,005 times
I’m sorry, but if I were a land Lord in NYC with current laws, there is no way in hell I’d rent her an apartment. She’s Just looking for trouble.

She’d probably want to use her own apartment as an example.

Hell no!

Old 09-08-2019, 10:44 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,237,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Damn..... you stay advertising Parkchester every chance you get. Do you get some kind of commission for every person you convince to move to Parkchester or something?
I roll my eyes every time I see her screen name. All she talks about is parkchester.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:05 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I’m sorry, but if I were a land Lord in NYC with current laws, there is no way in hell I’d rent her an apartment. She’s Just looking for trouble.

She’d probably want to use her own apartment as an example.

Hell no!
Where are you getting that from??

Old 09-09-2019, 07:49 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
To prop it up for what exactly??? I am not selling it. It is a 415 sq ft studio in the Bronx, bought for practically nothing, worth practically nothing :-). It has appreciated about $30k in 11 years, which is about what I would have to pay in taxes when selling it (since I had rented it out for 10 years), so it has not appreciated at all (as I didn't expect it to). Renting it out for 10 years did return about 2/3 of its purchase price, but even all of that is irrelevant considering how low that price was. I'd be deeply in trouble if I depended on the sale of that thing to bring me any money, if I didn't have retirement funds on a completely different scale. Right now, it's useful as a crashpad when visiting NYC, while gradually finding out that I no longer in fact like NYC. It has saved me from making a real investment there and then finding out the place is not what I thought it was. It has served its purpose for me.

But I really think that the right people should know about Parkchester, that is the reason for "advertising" it. This person seems like the right person. The place does have some unique merits. The condo complex is cheap yet safe (something that I think is unique to Parkchester, in the context of NYC), and obviously if you are not white, you have an added advantage that neither is anyone else who lives there, to speak of. It is THE place in NYC if you are a solid person but are also poor and/or not white. I am neither of those (ie, neither poor, nor non-white), but I wanted a cheap/safe place for other reasons, not as the primary residence. This person is not entirely poor either if she earns 90k, but she is complaining that she is discriminated against - I am just pointing out that there is a simple way in which she can easily and even cheaply solve that problem of "discrimination" (whether that discrimination is only in her head or real). In fact there is an organization that promotes higher education of black people, and the interests of black professionals, right in the Parkchester condo complex - what better a Harvard grad obsessed with black identity could ever want?
Prop it up for what you ask?

Old 09-09-2019, 08:15 AM

48 posts, read 38,823 times
Since her Blak azz claim she WOKE ..WHY don't she buy her own CRAP

Old 09-09-2019, 08:18 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
I roll my eyes every time I see her screen name. All she talks about is parkchester.
LMAO Parkchester.... Dynomiittteeee!!!

Old 09-09-2019, 09:02 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
LMAO Parkchester.... Dynomiittteeee!!!

Well, there is nothing else I find interesting on this NYC c-d forum (I am not looking for an apartment lottery, which is the subject of 95% of NYC forum topics). Occasionaly I talk about Tudor City (which I was considering for later in retirement, but it seems I will never want to be NYC based after all, after seeing the true city trends), however, things related to TC do not come up here very often.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:30 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,237,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImLivinLaVidaBroka View Post
Since her Blak azz claim she WOKE ..WHY don't she buy her own CRAP
Exactly

Old 09-09-2019, 09:47 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Perhaps the lesson here is don't post pics of yourself on social media.

Also, don't let on before lease signing that your name is Sheneequa Jackson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City