Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 10:34 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

From the article (that most on here didn't really bother to read based on the responses):

"The problem, the managers told Jude, was that Fahi only had five trade lines — long-term payment plans such as student loans and credit cards that build up your credit score — while owners insisted she needed eight.

That Fahi's five trade lines had been open for more than five years and she'd never missed a payment did not matter to them, Jude said.

"That one that made absolutely no sense," said Jude. "I've been in the business in a little and I've never heard of that."

Fahi was next rejected by building managers from 3 Quincy Corp. who called up her work office and asked her supervisor "weird questions," she said.

"They asked about my behavior, 'Does she work well in groups?'" Fahi said. "They made it feel like I was applying for another job.""

"And until the laws change, Jude believes people of color need to stop renting in New York by either buying their own homes, or leaving.

"Black excellence means little to nothing without ownership," said Jude. "The next place you move into should be your own."

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
I agree with the real estate agent, either save up and buy a home or leave

Just stop renting, any way you can if possible. The lowest rung of homeownership is Mitchell-Lama (which fits my category), it's better than having somebody holding a roof over your head every 2 years

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 09-06-2019 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 10:55 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
NY should focus more on homeownership. The racial wealth gap with never be closed by "affordable housing". People of color need to focus on owning. That's the only way to change the system.
Amen.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:03 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
From the article (that most on here didn't really bother to read based on the responses):

"The problem, the managers told Jude, was that Fahi only had five trade lines — long-term payment plans such as student loans and credit cards that build up your credit score — while owners insisted she needed eight.

That Fahi's five trade lines had been open for more than five years and she'd never missed a payment did not matter to them, Jude said.

"That one that made absolutely no sense," said Jude. "I've been in the business in a little and I've never heard of that."

Fahi was next rejected by building managers from 3 Quincy Corp. who called up her work office and asked her supervisor "weird questions," she said.

"They asked about my behavior, 'Does she work well in groups?'" Fahi said. "They made it feel like I was applying for another job.""

"And until the laws change, Jude believes people of color need to stop renting in New York by either buying their own homes, or leaving.

"Black excellence means little to nothing without ownership," said Jude. "The next place you move into should be your own."

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Just stop renting, any way you can if possible. The lowest rung of homeownership is Mitchell-Lama (which fits my category), it's better than having somebody holding a roof over your head every 2 years
I read it, but I've never had such issues renting, I find the whole thing fishy. You would think she was trying to rent in some sort of fancy building.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I read it, but I've never had such issues renting, I find the whole thing fishy. You would think she was trying to rent in some sort of fancy building.
I can only formulate a thought based on what the article states. Either way, like I said at the end, maybe she needs to forget about renting. Make a path to home ownership however she can so that she doesn't have to go through this, that will solve her problem.

And others should try and do the same. Either buy or leave.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:17 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
I can only formulate a thought based on what the article states. Either way, like I said at the end, maybe she needs to forget about renting. Make a path to home ownership however she can so that she doesn't have to go through this, that will solve her problem.

I agree. She is a prime candidate. No student loans and makes a nice salary (90K).

I am going to buy in NJ next year. No point in renting anymore for me. I am pretty set that i will remain in the Tri-State area. All my family is in NYC, CT or MA.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:27 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:

I still think it's BS. If she felt it was going to be "so hard" for her to rent, with her salary and next to no debt, offer to pay some rent upfront as a show of good faith. I also don't quite understand the need for so much space for one person.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I still think it's BS. If she felt it was going to be "so hard" for her to rent, with her salary and next to no debt, offer to pay some rent upfront as a show of good faith. I also don't quite understand the need for so much space for one person.
Well I'll play devil's advocate here. Suppose it is BS and all this is really her fault. She just opened a Pandora's Box then, because I can't imagine any LL reaching out to her because of this story. So like I said, she should just forget about renting.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I agree. She is a prime candidate. No student loans and makes a nice salary (90K).

I am going to buy in NJ next year. No point in renting anymore for me. I am pretty set that i will remain in the Tri-State area. All my family is in NYC, CT or MA.
Good for you! As long as you're comfortable.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:36 PM

48 posts, read 38,823 times
Was she BLACK listed cuz SHE BLACK ????

Old 09-06-2019, 12:47 PM

1,486 posts, read 989,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
First, actually say what your implying. which I assume means that the LLs are orthodox Jews looking to rent to other orthodox Jew, usually Hasids. But if that were the case, she would have never even known the apartments were available. The fact that they were available would gone either by word of mouth into the Hasid community, or into their own closed media outlets, likely all in Hebrew.

The mere fact that she was shown and allowed to apply for the apartments strongly suggests that they're not the LLs in question.
Some LL purposely put apartments on the market that they already know who they will rent to in the future. Then charge an application fee of up to sometimes even more than $100 per applicant. They then pocket all the money and rent it to the tenant they initially wanted. The person processing the application most likely a family member under some bogus company name. A tenant only knows when they been properly processed when that inquiry shows up on their credit report showing the LL did indeed process their application and their credit report was pulled.

Quote:

I think its more than her credit and i believe more to do with her social life that the LLs are trying to distance themselves from. She can be a nightmare tenant in the future if she truly is "pro black" or a rabble rouser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City