U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 12:04 AM

11,187 posts, read 9,556,559 times

Advertisements

Back to the original subject. So if I Fedex a package somewhere, and the Fedex driver causes an accident, I should be held responsible. Sorry, no sale. The driver and the driver and their direct employer is responsible. If they didn't want the responsibility, they shouldn't have gone into the business as a common carrier.

And the point of the economy is not to create a pool of deep pocketed defendants for the ambulance chasers to milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 03:37 AM

8,446 posts, read 5,498,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Back to the original subject. So if I Fedex a package somewhere, and the Fedex driver causes an accident, I should be held responsible. Sorry, no sale. The driver and the driver and their direct employer is responsible. If they didn't want the responsibility, they shouldn't have gone into the business as a common carrier.

And the point of the economy is not to create a pool of deep pocketed defendants for the ambulance chasers to milk.
What??

Old 09-11-2019, 04:33 PM

8,434 posts, read 6,455,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
The Human and Environmental Costs of Next Day Shipping
https://www.wnyc.org/story/human-and...t-day-shipping

And the Times, too:

The Human Cost of Amazon's Fast, Free Shipping
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/05/u...accidents.html
Both completely bogus arguments. If you can't handle a fast paced job with strict quotas then THAT JOB IS NOT FOR YOU, 'human cost' give me a break. As for environmental cost that applies to all mail order products and has nothing to do with speed of delivery.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:25 PM

9,027 posts, read 7,290,443 times
So what businesses and human activities are actually progressive-approved? Flint knapping?

These people are trying to return us to the dark ages, yet they are the "progressives". US only though, not them. Just like any good caste system.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-11-2019, 05:32 PM

7,265 posts, read 4,037,068 times
With the amount of delivers made the incidence of accidents is actually pretty low.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:02 PM

3,336 posts, read 1,649,397 times
You know,that actual trip to the mall will/is going the way of a movie theater.
A lost gem of the American way!
I use Amazon but can wait a few days,if it will save me money.
But still,sad to see a business
like Sears fold. Getting some excercise in while shopping is no more.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:37 PM

11,328 posts, read 6,304,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Exactly. And may I also mention another consequence? When you shop locally, you support local jobs.
I try but the stores don't carry some of the things I'm looking for. I get, "oh, we used to have it". "Have you checked Amazon?"

Old 09-11-2019, 08:30 PM

1,201 posts, read 336,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSmithson View Post
It is nice to pick up things locally. Easier.
It is, except when local stores don't have it. I far prefer shopping in real stores where I can see and touch the merchandise before deciding if I want it (and don't have to pay to ship it)... but that's not always possible. Especially if what you want is specialized, unusual, oddball, etc.-- for a certain hobby, the uncommon color or model or size, that sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
As for environmental cost that applies to all mail order products and has nothing to do with speed of delivery.
Well, it actually does. One article I read pointed out that with slower delivery, a company can wait until they have several things all going the same way and ship them together, once. Rather than one thing today, two things tomorrow, another the day after that, all in separate shipments but going to the same or similar places. Think "one truck packed full" rather than "several with one box in them."

Old 09-12-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Well, it actually does. One article I read pointed out that with slower delivery, a company can wait until they have several things all going the same way and ship them together, once. Rather than one thing today, two things tomorrow, another the day after that, all in separate shipments but going to the same or similar places. Think "one truck packed full" rather than "several with one box in them."
Well you're assuming that the company would wait so consolidate. Amazon has been trying to push "Amazon Delivery Day" where you pick a day of the week when they send all your orders at once. The shear volume of packing materials used in mail order commerce is colossal, although Amazon is one of the best to minimize. Kohls for example will send you the 5 things in your order in 5 separate boxes on separate days in containers 10 times the size of the item.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
You know,that actual trip to the mall will/is going the way of a movie theater.
A lost gem of the American way!
I use Amazon but can wait a few days,if it will save me money.
But still,sad to see a business
like Sears fold. Getting some excercise in while shopping is no more.
It's just how it goes. Those malls you speak of decimated Main Street all over America in the late 70's / early 80's, now many of them are going to get decimated by home deliveries. But there's still a place for malls as a destination, but only the biggest and best will survive. Pallisades mall in Rockland is amazing and always packed on weekends. The American Dream (Xanadu) over by the Jets/Giants is finally opening in November and that will attract millions of people with the water park and everything else they have in there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or