U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 04:31 PM

21,487 posts, read 14,257,894 times

Advertisements

"New York schools are required to provide a moment of silence to observe the anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks, according to a new state law approved by Gov. Andrew Cuomo Monday."

https://nypost.com/2019/09/09/new-la...1-anniversary/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 07:05 PM

57,338 posts, read 55,577,829 times
I don't think that makes any sense. The kids have no attachment to or memory of that day.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think that makes any sense. The kids have no attachment to or memory of that day.
That's the point, liberal/democrats in Albany want to prevent 9/11/01 from being "forgotten"; which it will naturally as time passes and those with living memory leave this earth. Going on twenty years now, so this is entirely natural, world goes on....

Kids graduating HS today were babes back in 2001, and those coming up and or just entering first grade were't even born. Aside from those whose families were directly affected most kids growing up today probably hear very little about 9/11/01.

How much good this new law will do is anyone's guess. Jews and others have pushed all sorts of levers to keep the memory of Holocaust alive, but going on 75 years later memories fade, and or people just don't see relevance. Like I said, world goes on...

Old 09-09-2019, 07:55 PM

624 posts, read 597,369 times
This bill passed a lot quicker than the 9/11 health act, shows where our politicians priorities are.

We commemorate Pearl Harbor till this day, and many of us weren’t around, not sure how we would forget an attack that was worse especially with all the footage we have of it from all the technology that was around.

The kids should learn about 9/11, just as they should about Pearl Harbor and any other attacks on innocent people, that changed and affected the world and history.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:34 PM

680 posts, read 240,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
That's the point, liberal/democrats in Albany want to prevent 9/11/01 from being "forgotten"; which it will naturally as time passes and those with living memory leave this earth. Going on twenty years now, so this is entirely natural, world goes on....

Kids graduating HS today were babes back in 2001, and those coming up and or just entering first grade were't even born. Aside from those whose families were directly affected most kids growing up today probably hear very little about 9/11/01.

How much good this new law will do is anyone's guess. Jews and others have pushed all sorts of levers to keep the memory of Holocaust alive, but going on 75 years later memories fade, and or people just don't see relevance. Like I said, world goes on...
Im amazed they can push this must history down students throats that most of them cannot relate to because they wasn't there, wasn't born, or have no connection to it but they cant teach them the importance of a savings account, 401K, or retirement savings.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:18 PM

If link doesn't work try: https://nypost.com/2019/09/09/new-la...1-anniversary/

Old 09-09-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Im amazed they can push this must history down students throats that most of them cannot relate to because they wasn't there, wasn't born, or have no connection to it but they cant teach them the importance of a savings account, 401K, or retirement savings.
Just saying.... sponsors of bill are both Italian-American from (though democratic) two solid "working/middle class" areas of Queens; Far Rockaway and Ozone Park. Interestingly this didn't come out of Staten Island but never the less shows it isn't just usual suspects in Albany at work.

Many working/middle class familes (FDNY, NYPD and others) were hit especially hard on 9/11/01 and afterwards (people are still dying from 9/11 related illnesses). There is a feeling in some areas that as time has passed general public at large (along with some politicians) are forgetting and moving on.

Fact John Stewart and others are having to blast DT, Congress and others to get first responder healthcare funding sort of proves point.

In communities like SI, parts of Queens, and Brooklyn where large numbers of families were affected memories are still fresh. Elsewhere, not so much I think. https://www.silive.com/news/2019/09/...tember-11.html

https://www.silive.com/news/2019/09/...pensation.html

Old 09-10-2019, 05:53 AM

32,555 posts, read 33,410,524 times
Quote:
"New York schools are required to provide a moment of silence to observe the anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks, according to a new state law approved by Gov. Andrew Cuomo Monday."

https://nypost.com/2019/09/09/new-la...1-anniversary/
I think this is completely appropriate so events won't be forgotten by those who weren't alive when they happened.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:44 AM

57,338 posts, read 55,577,829 times
Quote:

I will have lunch with my escape-mate, but I am not going to our service at St. Peter's. Don't want to deal with the city tomorrow. I'm here today. That's enough for my part-time post-retirement work life.

My own daughter was 10. I don't think she thinks much of it. Her memory is her father pulling her out of school and telling her I was dead. She didn't believe him, lol.

I think teaching about it is right, but the moment of silence seems a bit much.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:41 AM

680 posts, read 240,265 times
Quote:
Just saying.... sponsors of bill are both Italian-American from (though democratic) two solid "working/middle class" areas of Queens; Far Rockaway and Ozone Park. Interestingly this didn't come out of Staten Island but never the less shows it isn't just usual suspects in Albany at work.

Many working/middle class familes (FDNY, NYPD and others) were hit especially hard on 9/11/01 and afterwards (people are still dying from 9/11 related illnesses). There is a feeling in some areas that as time has passed general public at large (along with some politicians) are forgetting and moving on.

Fact John Stewart and others are having to blast DT, Congress and others to get first responder healthcare funding sort of proves point.

In communities like SI, parts of Queens, and Brooklyn where large numbers of families were affected memories are still fresh. Elsewhere, not so much I think. https://www.silive.com/news/2019/09/...tember-11.html

https://www.silive.com/news/2019/09/...pensation.html
They are taking time away from kids education for a moment of silence and the kids would not even know why they are taking the moment. They may have family at home that was affected by 9/11 but chances are they go home to deal with that every day so why bring it into the schools.

Looking back in public school i remember we had to stand up face the flag and say the Pledge of Allegiance every morning before class started and every time we had Assembly. Thats valuable time that could have went to learning something critical than reciting something many didn't understand why they were doing it or purpose it served because no one explained it....you just had to do it. If i was as knowledgeable back then as i am today i would went against it as church and state should be separate and there is the line that says "under god" in the pledge along with freedom of speech.

All it takes is for Muslims parents who were discriminated against during 9/11 who currently have kids in school to start an opt out of the moment of silence to get the ball rolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or