U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 05:13 AM

9,008 posts, read 7,276,803 times

Advertisements

I don’t get the pooh-poohing of an obvious slip into lawlessness. It’s slow, it’s not happening all at once, but it IS happening. All around, in many different ways, this being one of them. Seventh I just saw a picture that looked MUCH worse than the one you posted, it’s from NOW. Garbage all over the entire subway car.

Are we all at risk of getting shot in the street? No. Should we accept a loss of any of the level of comfort we’ve experienced over the last (at least) decade or two in NYC. Hell no.

Me personally? I don’t leave Staten Island anymore unless I really, really have to. I’m not subjecting myself and my kids to what Manhattan has become lately. Doesn’t matter if it’s just a slight slip, I don’t want them dealing with some of this stuff. My choice, and I don’t give two seconds thought as to what someone else thinks of that. If you’re okay with what’s happening lately in the city, well then I guess Manhattan is the place for you. I can do without it.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:32 AM

2,882 posts, read 3,810,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I donít get the pooh-poohing of an obvious slip into lawlessness. Itís slow, itís not happening all at once, but it IS happening. All around, in many different ways, this being one of them. Seventh I just saw a picture that looked MUCH worse than the one you posted, itís from NOW. Garbage all over the entire subway car.

Are we all at risk of getting shot in the street? No. Should we accept a loss of any of the level of comfort weíve experienced over the last (at least) decade or two in NYC. Hell no.

Me personally? I donít leave Staten Island anymore unless I really, really have to. Iím not subjecting myself and my kids to what Manhattan has become lately. Doesnít matter if itís just a slight slip, I donít want them dealing with some of this stuff. My choice, and I donít give two seconds thought as to what someone else thinks of that. If youíre okay with whatís happening lately in the city, well then I guess Manhattan is the place for you. I can do without it.
This. Yes, it true that people saying DeBlasio will send us back to the 80s are being overdramatic, but what happens is over the course of years and years and probably several mayors the progress that was made will erode.

Old Today, 05:44 AM

8,371 posts, read 5,471,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
I thought this was peak NYC aka the good ole' days?
It's when NYC had culture, had authenticity, when it wasn't Disneyland, when it had substance, when it had grit, etc.

Old Today, 05:50 AM

21,466 posts, read 14,241,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
This. Yes, it true that people saying DeBlasio will send us back to the 80s are being overdramatic, but what happens is over the course of years and years and probably several mayors the progress that was made will erode.

Rudy G. cleaned up the subways. Bloomberg largely continued that progress, that leaves.......

Old Today, 05:55 AM

5,839 posts, read 3,052,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
It's when NYC had culture, had authenticity, when it wasn't Disneyland, when it had substance, when it had grit, etc.
Believe it or not, that era while it appeared like it was the absolute nadir in NYC's history, the city still had a solid middle class. Most of the crime was isolated to certain areas. Most of the middle class areas were fine.

While present day NYC looks more solid on paper (lower crime, economically strong, etc.), with the fleeing middle class, and what appears to be a rise in crime and decline in quality of life, NYC is actually in a more precarious situation now than it was back then.

If the city should slide backwards (which is looking very likely) it will be much harder to recover because the core (middle class) will be hollowed out.

Old Today, 06:05 AM

20,172 posts, read 35,160,294 times
Quote:
I donít get the pooh-poohing of an obvious slip into lawlessness. Itís slow, itís not happening all at once, but it IS happening. All around, in many different ways, this being one of them. Seventh I just saw a picture that looked MUCH worse than the one you posted, itís from NOW. Garbage all over the entire subway car.

Are we all at risk of getting shot in the street? No. Should we accept a loss of any of the level of comfort weíve experienced over the last (at least) decade or two in NYC. Hell no.

Me personally? I donít leave Staten Island anymore unless I really, really have to. Iím not subjecting myself and my kids to what Manhattan has become lately. Doesnít matter if itís just a slight slip, I donít want them dealing with some of this stuff. My choice, and I donít give two seconds thought as to what someone else thinks of that. If youíre okay with whatís happening lately in the city, well then I guess Manhattan is the place for you. I can do without it.
I've rode the train every weekday for pretty much the past 20 years. Maybe it's just me or then the A train is one of the best in the system. Rarely a delay during my commute and I can't remember the last time I switched a car on the train because it was too dirty. This summer I've switched a train car twice due to no AC. But I pretty much have no complaints for the price I'm paying.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old Today, 07:29 AM

100 posts, read 17,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Believe it or not, that era while it appeared like it was the absolute nadir in NYC's history, the city still had a solid middle class. Most of the crime was isolated to certain areas. Most of the middle class areas were fine.

While present day NYC looks more solid on paper (lower crime, economically strong, etc.), with the fleeing middle class, and what appears to be a rise in crime and decline in quality of life, NYC is actually in a more precarious situation now than it was back then.

If the city should slide backwards (which is looking very likely) it will be much harder to recover because the core (middle class) will be hollowed out.

You're right about the middle-class areas. In the 1970s my family lived in Kensington, Brooklyn. We owned a 2-family house on a quiet block. The 1970s crime wave never really reached us. In fact the crime wave never reached southwest Brooklyn at all. But surrounding Brooklyn neighborhoods to the north and east of Kensington had fallen into chaos. The night of the 1977 blackout we sat out on our porches with flashlights and candles. We heard the police cars and fire engines heading up Ocean Parkway into Flatbush but that was it as far as we were concerned.

Old Today, 07:36 AM

100 posts, read 17,616 times
Quote:

Notice how now we are seeing armed robberies in Charleston, SI and in the nicer parts of eastern Queens and southwest Brooklyn. The next crime wave is brewing under deBlasio. Intentionally lax policing as well as bail 'reform' will be the cause of this crime wave. The end of cash bail is solely designed to get criminals back on the street so they can commit more violent crimes and destabilize otherwise stable neighborhoods.

Old Today, 07:37 AM

11,460 posts, read 6,542,590 times
Feels like the subway has definitely declined past few years, don't know if it's just because I'm riding it more, but there were some studies to confirm it

Old Today, 07:38 AM

3 posts, read 629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Who rides the subways mostly. Ask yourself. The poor and some middle class mostly and students. No one really cares about those people. They are given basic services and be glad at that.
Hose who can afford to ride into city do so, via Uber, express bus, personal car.

Some times I think the homeless are there to scare the crap out of working class. To stay in line and go to work reliably.
People like you make NYC a worse place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City